Suspension fork mudguard options

prawny
prawny Posts: 5,440
edited November 2010 in Commuting chat
Has anyone got some proper mudguards on a sus forked bike? I'm going to set my MTB up as a godawfulweather commuter and want full coverage if I can.

There's no holes in the fork crown or bridge and obviously no eyelets but I'm thinkin P-clips will sort that out. It's only really the how I'll attach them at the top that's worrying me any one got an answer for me?
Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017

Comments

• SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Our old friend the cable tie will leap to your rescue.

Cut small appropriately positioned slits in you 'guard (easiest way is to heat the tip of an old steakknife with a blowtorch or your gas cooker and gently slide though the plastic, any 'snowbanks' then easy to trim off with a sharp blade leaving nice crisp slots) and zip tie to the crown. If you do this so that the heads are positioned beneath the guard then, when you trim the excess tie, you'll end up with a really neat looking job.

Heck, they use these things as handcuffs - going to keep on mudguard no problem.

One of the most useful things to keep in your on-bike toolkit by the way - never leave home without a couple of them.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    SimonAH wrote:
    Our old friend the cable tie will leap to your rescue.

Cut small appropriately positioned slits in you 'guard (easiest way is to heat the tip of an old steakknife with a blowtorch or your gas cooker and gently slide though the plastic, any 'snowbanks' then easy to trim off with a sharp blade leaving nice crisp slots) and zip tie to the crown. If you do this so that the heads are positioned beneath the guard then, when you trim the excess tie, you'll end up with a really neat looking job.

Heck, they use these things as handcuffs - going to keep on mudguard no problem.

One of the most useful things to keep in your on-bike toolkit by the way - never leave home without a couple of them.

+ lots