My Hemlock is now heavy

Northwind
Northwind Posts: 14,675
edited January 2011 in MTB general
30.74lbs :cry: I had a delusion going on, I was going to fit the Lyriks but at the same time I fitted easton dh monkeylites and some ti bolts I had lying around and that was all going to balance out :lol:

Now I need a mountain to throw it off. 6 months til the lifts open again...
Uncompromising extremist

Comments

• peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    This is exactly why I keep mine away from the scales :lol:
  • Noclue
    Noclue Posts: 503
    30ish pounds isn't that heavy though for a bike that'll take abuse, at least it is less likely to break than some 25lb 6 inch travel french all mountain bikes :wink:
  • Neily03
    Neily03 Posts: 295
    That's not heavy at all!
  • Northwind
    It makes my weight weenie soul hurt just thinking about it. All those grams!
    Uncompromising extremist
  • weescott
    weescott Posts: 453
    Fit some 2.0" Supersonic tyres. That'll get the weight down.
  • Northwind
    Good shout. Maybe I'll drill some speedholes in the forks.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • weescott
    weescott Posts: 453
    Don't be silly, everyone knows that drilling extra holes in the rims is best because it's less rotating mass.
  • Northwind
    They say if you fill tyres with a CO2 cartridge it can kill tubeless sealant... Does that happen with helium?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Sadly helium molecules are too small to be contained in tyres.

IMO speed holes in the forks are a waste of time. More material to save in the stem and seat post! Take your saddle off too, easy saving.
  • *AL*
    *AL* Posts: 1,185
    Just borrow some scales off The Big Cheese, that should shave a good couple of kgs off the total :lol:
  • Northwind
    It's lighter now. No cranks.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Your complaining about 30lbs, and i'm sitting at a smidge under 35 at the moment. Need to lighten desperately.
  • Northwind
    OK I was wrong. Now it's heavy. Fitted my other wheels with their 729 rims, a set of maxxis dh tyres and tubes, and the new revised stronger swingarm... 35.6lbs :lol: I can barely get the thing off the ground :lol: Either while riding or while lifting it up to weigh it.

I think it'd be a bit less obvious if I hadn't spent the last few rides on my 23lbs rigid xc bike... Then again it's going to work a wee bit better at innerleithen on tuesday.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Northwind wrote:
    OK I was wrong. Now it's heavy. Fitted my other wheels with their 729 rims, a set of maxxis dh tyres and tubes, and the new revised stronger swingarm... 35.6lbs :lol: I can barely get the thing off the ground :lol: Either while riding or while lifting it up to weigh it.

I think it'd be a bit less obvious if I hadn't spent the last few rides on my 23lbs rigid xc bike... Then again it's going to work a wee bit better at innerleithen on tuesday.

You sir, need to work on your arm strength if that is that bad. I can comfortably carry my bike up the 3 flights of stairs to get my door at my house, and have enough energy left to do a Palmela Handerson afterwards.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I started to do a spreadsheet on the published weights of my bike parts. I got depressed half way through and gave up and indulged in some retail therapy and bought a Superstar i900 dropper post. Its the same as a woman weighing herself, crying at the result and then going and scoffing a box of cream cakes.

Just think how fit you will get dragging those DH tyres up all the climbs.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • phz
    phz Posts: 478
    man up and deal with it - my hardtail runs at around 30-31lbs and i ain't complaining

(but then it IS kinda flat rounds these parts)

slainte :D rob
  • Northwind
    Basically what it is, is that I got a load of parts to make it better for uplifts. But now thanks to Peter413, the first time all that heavy crap and enormously draggy tyres and such is going to get used is pushing up at innerleithen. Pushing up is for plebs :evil:

I think the only time it'll ever get ridden upwards in this shape is for the fort william endurance dh race, that starts with a short but rather horrible 1km climb up a fire road to split the field. But it's all downhill from there :twisted:
    Uncompromising extremist