Mudguards for Sirrus - SKS or Tortec?

ForumNewbie
ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
edited November 2010 in Commuting chat
I was going to buy SKS mudguards for my Specialized Sirrus but as far as I can see the brackets on the front and back which connect to the frame, don't allow the mudguards to drop down far enough to go under the brakes. They would need some extra brackets which are not included in the pack.

I was therefore thinking I may be better going for Tortec mudguards as apparantly the Specialized Concept store near where I live sell these rather than SKS. Can anyone tell me whether Tortec mudguards are any good and whether they have the right brackets/fitments to fit to a Specialized Sirrus (2010 model).

Comments

• Craggers
    Craggers Posts: 185
    Might not be helpful but this months cycling actice has a load of clip on guards on test, including the tortec and sks ones
  • I'm a complete noob when it comes to cycling and accessories and even I managed to fit the SKS chromoplastics to my Sirrus Elite 2011. The brackets included in the kit were fine for the job but I did need to buy a long M5 bolt (and couple of washers) for the fixing through the front fork (the longest bolt included was too short).

Trimmed down the stays as recommended and looks like a job well done! Honestly, no problems with the fittings near the brakes, front or back (assuming last year's models are similar).
    Specialized Allez Elite 2011 *NEW*
    Specialized Sirrus Elite 2011
  • ForumNewbie
    Craggers wrote:
    Might not be helpful but this months cycling actice has a load of clip on guards on test, including the tortec and sks ones
    I think I saw that but as you say it was clip-ons it featured, rather than the full mudguards that I want.
  • ForumNewbie
    Blandiblub wrote:
    I'm a complete noob when it comes to cycling and accessories and even I managed to fit the SKS chromoplastics to my Sirrus Elite 2011. The brackets included in the kit were fine for the job but I did need to buy a long M5 bolt (and couple of washers) for the fixing through the front fork (the longest bolt included was too short).

Trimmed down the stays as recommended and looks like a job well done! Honestly, no problems with the fittings near the brakes, front or back (assuming last year's models are similar).
    Thanks Blandiblub - I am surprised that the mudguards dropped far enough to clear the brakes as the 2011 model looks basically the same size as mine at the front fork, but that's good to know.

By the way, did you fit the P35 or P45 guards? I was originally looking at the P35s as it says they fit up to 28mm tyres, but when I looked at them next to the tyre, they look too tight a fit, so I think I will go for the P45s.

Did the guards come with reflector on back and mud flap on front? - some sites seem to include these and some don't.
  • I fitted SKS Mudguards - Hybrid to 2008 Sirrus. As previous poster said, you need to get a longer bolt for the front fork & trim the stay length.

These guards do have a reflector and road flap.
  • Definitely get the P45s for 28 mm tyres - I recently fitted a set of these (SKS) to my 2004 Sirrus and they fit perfectly. I run 28 mm Schwalbe Marathon tyres. The P35s (that I originally tried) only had just enough clearance and there was absolutely no margin for error (they would end up rubbing). On paper they should fit, but in reality they don't. I was glad I sent them back and got the slightly wider ones.

Hope this helps,

Matt.
  • mattdh wrote:
    Definitely get the P45s for 28 mm tyres - I recently fitted a set of these (SKS) to my 2004 Sirrus and they fit perfectly. I run 28 mm Schwalbe Marathon tyres....

Matt.

+1 for this - same set-up on a 2010 Sirrus.
    exercise.png
    FCN = 8
  • mattdh wrote:
    Definitely get the P45s for 28 mm tyres - I recently fitted a set of these (SKS) to my 2004 Sirrus and they fit perfectly. I run 28 mm Schwalbe Marathon tyres....

Matt.

+1 for this - same set-up on a 2010 Sirrus.
    exercise.png
    FCN = 8
  • Yep, like those above, I have the P45 versions. Must admit, it was a bit of guesswork as I just got it all thrown in by Halfords with my c2w voucher...
    Specialized Allez Elite 2011 *NEW*
    Specialized Sirrus Elite 2011