Liyang 550 ATB

jonnymp
jonnymp Posts: 6
edited May 2011 in MTB general
Hi there - just been given a Liyang 550 ATB mountain bike - rigid fork - think ali frame and full deore LX groupset - have got it ready to ride - greased and lubed it good and proper and loosened and tightened everything possible! Only one problem - seat post well and truley stuck in place - bin in someone's front garden way too long! Luckily only 1" too short so can manage to ride ot okay! took it up a 2 mile rocky/hilly bridleway at blacksone edge. Got 30 yards from the top and the chain snapped! Managed to have fun coasting down 'Rob Warner style'! - just not as fast or stylish! Could you shed any light on the bike - I know nothing about them! Cheers Jonny x

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Cheers! - As MTB's go how well is it rated? - I'm from the old skool of ridin' and just getting back into it after 15 year break!- still prefer da rigid fork - so reckoned this should do the trick - just trails and tracks.
  • Hi again - made slight error - the bike is actually a Liyang AT 550 - it still has full deore lx groupset - but the frame is Chrome moly! Is it an older version of the AL or from the same time? Ridin' it up and down hills no probs - but da girlfriend has bought me a 2nd hand Marin nail trail 1999 model for xmas! - interestingly same groupset - but with up graded bottom bracket and sun tour RC suspension up front - is this a better bike? If so will keep the freebie Liyang as reserve or maybe put narrower tyres on it and have a go at a bit of cyclo cross!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    if you had put Liyang into the search on the site linked above you would have found this
    http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/Bike ... &Type=bike

same year but cheaper.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Cool! mines da rigid fork version! will keep ridin' it until Xmas prezi arrives and then I'll try the old cyclo cross thing! Mucho thanks!
  • jonnymp
    jonnymp Posts: 6
    Hi there! Just inherited an old touring bike - full reynolds 531 ST frame - It's a Dawes - weinmann side pull brakes, combination of suntour and sakae for groupset. Pretty sure it's not a galaxy - but possibly one of the earlier 'better' made Horizons. Interestingly think it must be 1970's cos of the 27" Alesa wheels and GB bars and stem! Came with decent rack and mudguards - just a bit rusty and needs a bit of TLC! can anyone shed anymore light on it? cheers Jonny x
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    jonnymp wrote:
    Hi there! Just inherited an old touring bike - full reynolds 531 ST frame - It's a Dawes - weinmann side pull brakes, combination of suntour and sakae for groupset. Pretty sure it's not a galaxy - but possibly one of the earlier 'better' made Horizons. Interestingly think it must be 1970's cos of the 27" Alesa wheels and GB bars and stem! Came with decent rack and mudguards - just a bit rusty and needs a bit of TLC! can anyone shed anymore light on it? cheers Jonny x

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=dawes+touring+bikes

A helpful link too

Of course someone may be able to shed some light, but the Mountain Bike section of Bikeradar probably isn't the best place
  • Hawmaw
    Hawmaw Posts: 124
    Jonny , I think Retrobike is the place for you. Full of like minded folk with a passion for old bikes. Loads of experts on there.