attica
attica Posts: 2,362
edited November 2010 in Commuting chat
"Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"

Comments

• It's Brizzle, innit?

"I had done nothing to him, and even if for some reason he thought I had, nothing justifies what he did.

Hmmm...
  • waddlie
    waddlie Posts: 542
    Not guilty, your honour.

Would love to hear the cyclist's side of the story!
    Rules are for fools.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Oh dear, I knew how this article was going to pan out when I read the first sentence... "A WOMAN driving alone in Bristol was subjected to a terrifying attack when an enraged cyclist picked up his bike and smashed it into her windscreen."

Why are people so willing to believe that cyclists are psychopathic nutters?
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Not guilty your honour.

Now go across Brizzle to Emersons Green - that road is behind Rolls Royce buildings, probably someon heading there or Airbus - they have a big cycle contingent.....all scalped on Filton Hill when I worked up at Aztec!
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    Guilty, your honour, of intentially harming his own steed... tw@t
    FCN 2 to 8
  • notsoblue wrote:

Because half the time, they don't know what they've done to get us ranting? Before I cycled, I wouldn't have known most of the time.
  • "It was inhumane," she said :lol::lol:

I like the idea that the cyclist just fell off his bike :lol:

and that she got out to see if he was OK :lol:

She had been in a long queue of traffic in Orpheus Avenue, Bradley Stoke, approaching a roundabout when she says the cyclist cut across the roundabout without giving way to other traffic

what does "cut across" mean? do they mean joined and cycled around?; do they mean the cyclist didn;t give way to traffic coming from the left already on the roundabout? In this case how come he didn't get knocked off then - or did the traffic he cycled out in front off come to a squealing stop? In which case why doesn;t she mention this? is this an irrelevent exagerated detail or plain lie?

Dozy bint wasn;t paying attention and slammed into the cyclist while he was trying to get a better road position. I can't defend smashing a windscreen, if that is what happened, but if the woman is blameless why is she telling so many pathetic and transparent lies?
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    from the article, this section stood out to me
    She had been in a long queue of traffic in Orpheus Avenue, Bradley Stoke, approaching a roundabout when she says the cyclist cut across the roundabout without giving way to other traffic.

When she crossed the roundabout and was in heavy traffic on the other side, he was between her stationary car and the pavement, and she said he cycled in front of her to try to cycle up the middle of the road

This sounds to me as though it could be read that she pulled out onto the roundabout infront of the cyclist who was already on the roundabout. Sounds as though she could have expected cyclist to give way as she was in car and clearly more important

That may account for his anger ( not justify it though)
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • The recipe for the spiced carrot and lentil soup looks good!

Oh wait thats not what the article is on...
  • Buppy (banned)
    Buppy (banned) Posts: 38
    edited November 2010
    Whoa Whoa Whoa. Everyone has missed the point here.
    Mrs Powell is only 43!!!! DAMN!!!!
    You look VERY good for 43 Mrs Powell. You look in your 20's.
    Ding dong!

:lol::lol:

Hey spen - surely no-one has to justify anger - and I disagree with you - if she did do this - and I was concerend about he same bit of her statement as it doesn't make any sense at all - journalist not doing their job there; but I would feel angry about the same thing happening to me though the act of smashing a windscreen maybe cannot be justified.

Maybe though words were exchanged after she nearly ran him over ont he roundabout, then when he pulled along side her when the traffic was stopped she ran into him - maybe on puropse; it has happened to me; hence the damage to the bumper which isn;t explained anywhere. Maybe that's when the cyclist smashed her car. I'm saying maybe mind you, just maybe.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue wrote:

Because half the time, they don't know what they've done to get us ranting? Before I cycled, I wouldn't have known most of the time.

Well I'm referring to the way the article is written. There must be significant audience out there that is sympathetic to this type of heavily biased story. I doubt they've all had first hand experience of cyclists ranting irrationally at them, but yet the article implies that this kind of behaviour is something that is in the nature of people who ride bikes. Cyclists *always* seem to be in the wrong.

Full disclosure, I had a massively profane rant at a pedestrian who I ran into while he was skipping through traffic this morning. But tbh, it was entirely justified.
  • gtvlusso
    Hmmm - This will sound controversial from me, but after my "punching the guy out" incident....keep calm, carry on.

Assuming the chap was not injured, he should have said his piece and moved on - nothing annoys people more than being stuck in traffic while the bike just drifts away.....
  • spen666
    Buppy wrote:
    Ding dong!

Hey spen - surely no-one has to justify anger - and I disagree with you - if she did do this - and I was concerend about he same bit of her statement as it doesn't make any sense at all - journalist not doing their job there; but I would feel angry about the same thing happening to me though the act of smashing a windscreen maybe cannot be justified. .....
    I'm afraid I haven't got a clue what you are disagreeing with me about here.

Can you explain in clear language so I can comprehend

PS what has what you have quoted got to do with me ? I never said any of that

Twittering @spen_666
  • notsoblue wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:

Well I'm referring to the way the article is written. There must be significant audience out there that is sympathetic to this type of heavily biased story. I doubt they've all had first hand experience of cyclists ranting irrationally at them, but yet the article implies that this kind of behaviour is something that is in the nature of people who ride bikes. Cyclists *always* seem to be in the wrong.

Full disclosure, I had a massively profane rant at a pedestrian who I ran into while he was skipping through traffic this morning. But tbh, it was entirely justified.

The majority don't cycle that often, they're writing to the majority. If a car passed the other way from me when I'm driving, and missed me by a couple of inches, I'd think, "Crikey, that was a bit close, but never mind, no harm done." . If the same thing happened when I was on the bike, I'd be furious, and after I'd changed my shorts, I'd have a word.

Now imagine you're the motorist going the other way, and you get through the gap, no harm done. Why is the cyclist ranting at you when the motorist wouldn't be? They seem an angry bunch.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:

The majority don't cycle that often, they're writing to the majority. If a car passed the other way from me when I'm driving, and missed me by a couple of inches, I'd think, "Crikey, that was a bit close, but never mind, no harm done." . If the same thing happened when I was on the bike, I'd be furious, and after I'd changed my shorts, I'd have a word.

Now imagine you're the motorist going the other way, and you get through the gap, no harm done. Why is the cyclist ranting at you when the motorist wouldn't be? They seem an angry bunch.

Well yeah, I guess thats the key issue here. What might only cause minor paint damage to a car could be fatal to a cyclist. A very close and unexpected pass usually means you were *this* close from serious injury. Hence the anger... We're far far more vulnerable, and most people don't seem to appreciate this.
  • spen666 wrote:
    Buppy wrote:
    Ding dong!

Hey spen - surely no-one has to justify anger - and I disagree with you - if she did do this - and I was concerend about he same bit of her statement as it doesn't make any sense at all - journalist not doing their job there; but I would feel angry about the same thing happening to me though the act of smashing a windscreen maybe cannot be justified. .....
    I'm afraid I haven't got a clue what you are disagreeing with me about here.

Can you explain in clear language so I can comprehend

PS what has what you have quoted got to do with me ? I never said any of that

I never said the quote had anything to do with you - it's from the story - I thought it was funny.
    you wrote:
    That may account for his anger ( not justify it though)
    Me - I think the anger was totally justified, just not necessarily the actions. Is this plain enough for you or shall I try it in Japanese as well?
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    maybe he comes from the sewiman school of making a point?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Clever Pun wrote:

Not trying to make a point. trying to be friendly and have conversation. english not my first language so please excuse.
  • spen666
    Buppy wrote:
    Me - I think the anger was totally justified, just not necessarily the actions. Is this plain enough for you or shall I try it in Japanese as well?

could you try it in Japenese please

Twittering @spen_666
  • spen666 wrote:
    Buppy wrote:

do you read Japanese?
  • gtvlusso wrote:
    nothing annoys people more than being stuck in traffic while the bike just drifts away.....

I'm fairly sure most drivers would be more annoyed with a cyclist smashing their windscreen than being left behind in traffic...
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Buppy wrote:
    spen666 wrote:
    Buppy wrote:

do you read Japanese?

私は怒りは完全にだけではなく、必ずしも正当化されたと思うアクション
  • gtvlusso
    edited November 2010
    Buppy wrote:

How dare you say that about my wife!!!!!
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    Clever Pun wrote:

Road rage is not really a political protest issue now is it.
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    Sewinman wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

What if you're really passionate about it, and really mean it, and it's the only way to get on Sky?
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso wrote:
    nothing annoys people more than being stuck in traffic while the bike just drifts away.....

I'm fairly sure most drivers would be more annoyed with a cyclist smashing their windscreen than being left behind in traffic...

Thats true......
  • JZed wrote:
    Buppy wrote:
    spen666 wrote:
    Buppy wrote:

do you read Japanese?

LOL - yes that is my point exactly - tell that to spen :lol::lol:
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    W1 wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

What if you're really passionate about it, and really mean it, and it's the only way to get on Sky?

+1 :D
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    W1 wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

Then you have got a screw loose and should probably be taken away by the boys in white coats.
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    Sewinman wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

Then you have got a screw loose and should probably be taken away by the boys in white coats.

How dare you dampen my passion!