Interesting Crash this morning!

JamesFree
JamesFree Posts: 703
edited November 2010 in Commuting chat
Had a interesting crash this morning and managed to walk away from it without a scratch (considering what happened was very lucky) but had a very trashed rear wheel.

Was approaching a red light at a pedestrian crossing so slowed down and stopped in the area marked out for bikes and then less than a second later felt a impact from behind and bike goes flaying forward and im left standing there with no bike any more but still standing in almost the same position in complete shock I look around to see a white van about 6 inches from my back and then look forward to see my bike a little while up the road.

The van driver apologised and straight away admits fault as he 'did'nt expect me to stop at the lights' and was going to stop in the bike box at the lights I managed to get his details including a good picture of his driving license with all his details readable, his reg number and also had another cyclist give me his details as a witness incase he turned out to be dodgy.

I really felt I was very lucky to come away with this completely untouched, also glad I had borrowed the girlfriends bike to ride to the station as I have a throat infection and a full commute wasn't the best idea.

Comments

• Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    sounds all very cut and dried...

glad you wern't hurt
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    :shock: :shock:

"The van driver apologised and straight away admits fault as he 'did'nt expect me to stop at the lights' and was going to stop in the bike box at the lights" Priceless :shock:
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,408
    :shock: Very lucky indeed! I have a bit of paranoia about such a thing happening to me (I've had a couple of near misses where I've stopped then heard some squealing tyres behind me).

I take it you didn't have a foot clipped in and your saddle is quite low - if this happened to me, I'd be punted down the road with the nose of my saddle firmly wedged where it shouldn't be.

Good to hear he owned up and gave you his details.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • What an idiot! "I was planning to drive through the stop line and stop in the area reserved for bikes, and rather than act on the evidence of my eyes, I assumed you weren't there and drove into you". I wonder if the scuff will decide to enforce the ASL under these circumstances?
    MiniLogo-1.jpg
    http://www.velochocolate.co.uk Special Treats for Lifestyle Cyclists

From FCN from 8 (road bike, beard, bag, work clothes) to 15 (on my Brompton)
  • rjsterry wrote:
    :shock: Very lucky indeed! I have a bit of paranoia about such a thing happening to me (I've had a couple of near misses where I've stopped then heard some squealing tyres behind me).

I take it you didn't have a foot clipped in and your saddle is quite low - if this happened to me, I'd be punted down the road with the nose of my saddle firmly wedged where it shouldn't be.

Good to hear he owned up and gave you his details.

I was very lucky I was ill (never said that) as took the girlfriends bike down instead of either of mine, otherwise would have been clipped in with a much higher saddle that would have stabbed me in the back.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Ooh, could have been nasty. Glad you seem to be ok.

I do worry about this a bit. If the light changes so that I need to brake pretty rapidly I normally throw a life-saver check out there to give following road users an indication I'm about to stop

I have been run into by another cyclist while stopped at some lights on the NKR. I'd been stationary for several seconds. He was a klutz
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Cafewanda wrote:
    :shock: :shock:

"The van driver apologised and straight away admits fault as he 'did'nt expect me to stop at the lights' and was going to stop in the bike box at the lights" Priceless :shock:

I know what a joke eh!!

I did then point out it was the area for bikes to stop anyway, but he didn't seem to acknowledge it.
  • JonGinge wrote:
    Ooh, could have been nasty. Glad you seem to be ok.

I do worry about this a bit. If the light changes so that I need to brake pretty rapidly I normally throw a life-saver check out there to give following road users an indication I'm about to stop

I have been run into by another cyclist while stopped at some lights on the NKR. I'd been stationary for several seconds. He was a klutz

What I don't understand though was that the light had been red for a good 2-3 seconds aswell, I really think he just hadn't seen the red light and I was just lucky the traffic was awful ahead of the lights so he had reduced his speed enough.
  • 1st of all I'm really glad you're uninjured due to this persons appalling driving

Secondly, I'd really recommend you not let your girlfriend see this thread... your comments along the lines of "it was lucky it was my g/f's bike" might get you into a spot of bother.... :wink:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Holy hell. Glad you got away from that unscathed. What is it with people and crashing this morning?

<touches wood>
    FCN - 10
    Cannondale Bad Boy Solo with baggies.
  • 1st of all I'm really glad you're uninjured due to this persons appalling driving

Secondly, I'd really recommend you not let your girlfriend see this thread... your comments along the lines of "it was lucky it was my g/f's bike" might get you into a spot of bother.... :wink:

Hahaha It actually a hand me down from me, but at least she gets a nice new rear wheel.
  • Had a similar experience of being rear ended. I passed a junction and a car saw me and waited. Said car then pulled out behind me accelerated straight into the back of me.

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Oh, that's a bit close. I got shunted at lights two weeks ago, but at slow speed - nothing like that! Good job you're ok.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    A great lesson for the advocates of RLJing here.....this sort of accident is what you've achieved.

Glad you're OK.
  • Stopped at a red by Clapham Common last week - in left side of ASL, Motorbike stopped next to me on my right. He was then sent flying forward by the Car behind.. am worried about it now esp in the wet - maybe RLJ is the way to go!
  • W1 wrote:
    A great lesson for the advocates of RLJing here.....this sort of accident is what you've achieved.

Glad you're OK.

He would have been safer if he'd jumped the red.

*runs and hides*
  • W1 wrote:

I was waiting for that, but I think it's balls. I bet the guy said whatever came into his head to justify his dangerous driving. I simply do not believe drivers are crashing into cyclists because they have watched others jumping red lights.

Something similar happened to me yesterday afternoon. I was nearly forced off the road in Central London. The driver said to me afterwards: "what do you expect when you're not wearing a helmet?" The helmet had nothing to do with it - he'd just been impatient about speeding through a gap that I was already occupying - but it gave him a get out clause.

He then told me I was breaking the law for being helmet-less and he should report me to the police . Just another driver who behaves as if cyclists are vermin to be cleaned off the roads. A tiny minority, to be sure - but not an insignificant one.
  • W1
    ooermissus wrote:
    W1 wrote:

I was waiting for that, but I think it's balls. I bet the guy said whatever came into his head to justify his dangerous driving. I simply do not believe drivers are crashing into cyclists because they have watched others jumping red lights.

Something similar happened to me yesterday afternoon. I was nearly forced off the road in Central London. The driver said to me afterwards: "what do you expect when you're not wearing a helmet?" The helmet had nothing to do with it - he'd just been impatient about speeding through a gap that I was already occupying - but it gave him a get out clause.

He then told me I was breaking the law for being helmet-less and he should report me to the police . Just another driver who behaves as if cyclists are vermin to be cleaned off the roads. A tiny minority, to be sure - but not an insignificant one.

He crashed into him because he PRESUMED the cyclist would run the red - because that's what all cyclists do, innit? And why do people think all cyclists do that? Because quiite a few do.

I was hit by a cyclist when I stopped at a red light and he didn't. I got the same excuse from him. I'm not the only one on here who has suffered this type of incident which, were RLJing not endemic amongst cyclists, simply would not be a consideration.

You never hear the same excuse from a car on car accident do you, because it's completely absurd. Somehow it's OK for cyclists though!
  • rjsterry
    <= RLJing thread is that way, but I'm afraid I agree with W1 here (dammit, not again!)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• [He crashed into him because he PRESUMED the cyclist would run the red - because that's what all cyclists do, innit? And why do people think all cyclists do that? Because quiite a few do.

I was hit by a cyclist when I stopped at a red light and he didn't. I got the same excuse from him. I'm not the only one on here who has suffered this type of incident which, were RLJing not endemic amongst cyclists, simply would not be a consideration.

You never hear the same excuse from a car on car accident do you, because it's completely absurd. Somehow it's OK for cyclists though![/quote]

So what if they can't use that excuse ? you are still in hospital, someone in another car would prob be ok
  • W1
    rjsterry wrote:
    <= RLJing thread is that way, but I'm afraid I agree with W1 here (dammit, not again!)

We must stop meeting like this.
  • W1 - you presumably discount the opinion of the guy who was there, who thinks the driver didn't see the light and then used RLJ-ing as an excuse - just as the guy who nearly hit me used helmets as an excuse.
    JamesFree wrote:
    What I don't understand though was that the light had been red for a good 2-3 seconds aswell, I really think he just hadn't seen the red light and I was just lucky the traffic was awful ahead of the lights so he had reduced his speed enough.
  • W1
    ooermissus wrote:
    W1 - you presumably discount the opinion of the guy who was there, who thinks the driver didn't see the light and then used RLJ-ing as an excuse - just as the guy who nearly hit me used helmets as an excuse.
    JamesFree wrote:

And you presumably discount the statement of the guy who actually did it?

"The van driver apologised and straight away admits fault as he 'did'nt expect me to stop at the lights' "

I think that's an odd "excuse" to use - I mean, it's hardly an excuse at all is. It doesn't in any way limit or remove liability. At best it's an explanation. A not unreasonable explanation, given how many cyclists do jump red lights....
  • Due to the place he eventually stopped being just before the line at the front of the bike box and a good 8 foot past where he was meant to stop and this was after he had done an emergency stop at the last minute when seeing me.

This is what leads me to think he had completely forgotten to stop or didn't see the lights (as there are just before another set 25 yards up the road)
  • W1 wrote:
    ooermissus wrote:
    W1 - you presumably discount the opinion of the guy who was there, who thinks the driver didn't see the light and then used RLJ-ing as an excuse - just as the guy who nearly hit me used helmets as an excuse.
    JamesFree wrote:

And you presumably discount the statement of the guy who actually did it?

"The van driver apologised and straight away admits fault as he 'did'nt expect me to stop at the lights' "

I think that's an odd "excuse" to use - I mean, it's hardly an excuse at all is. It doesn't in any way limit or remove liability. At best it's an explanation. A not unreasonable explanation, given how many cyclists do jump red lights....

Yes I discount it. Because if the guy drives assuming that no cyclist will ever stop at a red light, he's a moron and his excuses are worthless. And because, as I explained, I had a similar experience just yesterday, when my not wearing a helmet was used as a post-hoc, and utterly implausible, rationalisation of some pretty awful driving.

Sometimes you give the impression that you think that most bad things that happen to cyclists are either their fault, or the fault of other cyclists. As a class, we have annoyed other road users and now deserve what we get.
  • rjsterry
    JamesFree wrote:
    Due to the place he eventually stopped being just before the line at the front of the bike box and a good 8 foot past where he was meant to stop and this was after he had done an emergency stop at the last minute when seeing me.

This is what leads me to think he had completely forgotten to stop or didn't see the lights (as there are just before another set 25 yards up the road)

Indeed doesn't look as though he was planning on stopping at all. That said, the fact that such an explanation occurred to him does suggest that he at least wouldn't be surprised to see cyclists jump red lights.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry wrote:
    JamesFree wrote:
    Due to the place he eventually stopped being just before the line at the front of the bike box and a good 8 foot past where he was meant to stop and this was after he had done an emergency stop at the last minute when seeing me.

Indeed doesn't look as though he was planning on stopping at all. That said, the fact that such an explanation occurred to him does suggest that he at least wouldn't be surprised to see cyclists jump red lights.

the excuse is irrelevent - if the cyclist had RLJed everyone would have been happy
  • W1
    rjsterry wrote:
    JamesFree wrote:

the excuse is irrelevent - if the cyclist had RLJed everyone would have been happy

Or if cyclists - as a group - didn't RLJ so often that excuse/reason/cause would never have occurred.
  • the excuse is irrelevent - if the cyclist had RLJed everyone would have been happy

Right up to the point where the cyclist got hit by Asprilla's wife driving through a green light.
    FCN - 10
    Cannondale Bad Boy Solo with baggies.
  • W1 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    JamesFree wrote:

Or if cyclists - as a group - didn't RLJ so often that excuse/reason/cause would never have occurred.

So if no cyclist ever RLJed ,all cars would stop safly at all red lights?!