I need some bondage advice

SimonAH
SimonAH Posts: 3,730
edited November 2010 in Commuting chat
Where can I buy some of that soft yet strong white Japanese rope for...

..OK, you knew this wasn't about kinky sex because I didn't qualify the title with OT :D

Seriously, blew one of my pedal bearings last night so had to spend a VERY cold half hour adapting the toe clips onto a pair of track pedals that I had lying around, but it's a crude fix and means that the old plastic needs to come out for new pedals.

...now, does anyone have a recommendation for their favourite pedal / cage combination, or do I go for a clipless system (if so, why and what please?)

Thankyou m'dears!

Here's the bodge by the way, I had to bend the nylon cages by 90 degrees with a heat gun and then through-bolt them to the track pedals, 'orrible engineering ;

IMG_0161.jpg
FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Comments

• prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    shimano M-520s cheap cheerful and great for commuting.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • prawny wrote:

or as a half way step go for dual sided I use shimano M-324's comfy, easy to set up, grippy on the flat side & bombproof- mine have been going strong for years and can be fitted with reflectors front and back (for the pedal pedants like me)
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    prawny wrote:

or as a half way step go for dual sided I use shimano M-324's comfy, easy to set up, grippy on the flat side & bombproof- mine have been going strong for years and can be fitted with reflectors front and back (for the pedal pedants like me)

glad it's not just me....

...can't go without bs approved lights either...

What's wrong with me?????
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    :(
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    edited November 2010
    prawny wrote:

520s come with clip in reflectors that turn them into platforms one side as well. Not sure how durable they'd be as platforms though but no need to be reflectorless on 520s if it worries you!

Cafewanda - you seem depressed :(
    Faster than a tent.......
  • SimonAH wrote:
    ...now, does anyone have a recommendation for their favourite pedal / cage combination, or do I go for a clipless system (if so, why and what please?)

YES! Eddy Merckx's Podio pedals**. Available almost nowhere, they use a cleat with a proprietary bolt pattern that limits your choice of shoe to at most two, and possibly only one shoe.

However, they are the only clipless system I know of that allow you to unclip, and still be able to apply full downward pressure on the pedal without clipping back in.

**This is not a wholly serious suggestion. There are probably fewer than 40 people using these pedals worldwide, and that includes EM. I don't need more people competing with me for the scarce resources that sometimes come up on various European branches of Ebay.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Cafewanda
    @ Rolf F - was actually hoping for some bondage tips :lol: Winter depresses me greatly.
  • Ignore Greg.

That's step 1 out of the way.

Step 2 would be to establish whether you ever really need to ride your bike in shoes other than bike riding shoes, if you see what I mean. If it's a once in a blue moon thing, then get double-sided SPDs, if it's quite regular then go for single sided.

With your pedal-bodging skills you could probably fit some toe clips to the flat side!

As for the soft rope... they don't sell it at B&Q.
  • Cafewanda wrote:
    @ Rolf F - was actually hoping for some bondage tips :lol: Winter depresses me greatly.

Ok, well, make sure that you always have a safe word that's code for bringing things to a halt. And choose it well. Words like "mummy" tend to sound a bit like "mmmmmm" when there's a ball gag in place, and, well, that can suggest the opposite of what you're trying to convey.

So I've heard.

<whistles to self and wanders off>
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Cafewanda
    :lol::lol::lol:

Greg66 - damn you. My bad mood has now gone.

Scribbles down G66 suggestion and tucks it into my handbag...
  • rolf_f
    Cafewanda wrote:

That'll be BondageRadar you'll be looking for then!
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Another vote for M520s. Have been using them for a year on the commute.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • rolf_f
    Cafewanda wrote:

PS I forgot to mention - buy your rope by the metre. Being short, you won't need that much so tying you up wouldn't cost much :lol:
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Cafewanda wrote:
    :lol::lol::lol:

Greg66 - damn you. My bad mood has now gone.

Scribbles down G66 suggestion and tucks it into thigh length boots...

FTFY :wink:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Who'd have thought CW was into the BDSM scene? She looks so vanilla.

There again, an ex of mine, well, lets just say looks can be very deceptive!!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!