Cannock Chase on a cyclocross bike

Richie G
Richie G Posts: 283
edited January 2011 in MTB beginners
Hi all. I'm pretty much a total newbie when it comes to off-road, so bear with me.

I recently got myself a second hand 'cross bike, with a view to just using it as a winter commuter. However, a bit of goading from a club mate to try cyclocross has got me hooked! Having never ridden off road before, some of the singletrack in the races i have done has thoroughly exposed my bike handling and i'm looking to find some trails so i can work on my skills (and have fun). Are the trails at Cannock Chase (or other trail centres) suitable for a rigid 'cross bike? I realise that my bike may not be as suitable as a proper MTB - just checking that there are trails that i might be able to use it on.

Rich

Comments

• never ridden a cyclo croos before. If you have a sense of adventure you could try the dog, but its pretty rutted at the moment and may be too much for the bike.

You could try the blue route. Its off road and a very plesant ride. Paths are pretty good and wide. If you found that easy then give the dog a go.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Try out a few green and blue runs and see how you get on. Technically speaking you should be able to do all of Follow the Dog. But not sure how strong CX bikes are built you may have to learn to ride smoothly to prevent bits breaking.
  • bunyip
    bunyip Posts: 52
    you should be fine, theres nothing to rocky at cannock, me and my mate witnessed two cyclocrossers coming down jacobs ladder in the peaks a few weeks back :shock: I wouldn't advise that though
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Cross bikes are pretty tough, you could do virtually any trail centre trail in the UK on one, if you've got the skill. You'll be fine, it'll certainly show up your bike handling weaknesses compared to cross races!
  • Richie G
    Richie G Posts: 283
    Thanks guys. The bikes pretty tough, so not too worried about that (the rider is another matter though!). I guess i was just checking that the likes of Cannock didn't feature terrain that was unrideable without suspension. I'm definitely looking for something that will push me technically - i've come into cycling through time trialling (i know, i know..) so now i'm trying to learn all those skills that a lot of you guys probably take for granted. The last couple of 'cross races i've done featured quite a bit of singletrack through the woods - great fun but it showed how much i need the practice! Looking forward to doing more off road stuff through the winter - much more fun the countless miles i do on the road! :D
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    No probs with Cannock on a rigid, my BIL goes round at a very respectable pace on his retro-90s throwback Marin. OK he suffers from tunnel vision on the descents and his hands are pasty white with red blotches from the vibration but otherwise OK :)
  • mozami
    mozami Posts: 25
    njee20 wrote:
    Cross bikes are pretty tough, you could do virtually any trail centre trail in the UK on one, if you've got the skill. You'll be fine, it'll certainly show up your bike handling weaknesses compared to cross races!

Its not the frames that need to tough (hell, even a road frame should be able to take a lot of abuse) but the wheels that will fold before any thing else. Get wide rims with 26 spokes if your regularly hitting exposed roots at speed. I've got pompino myself and ride ST but i the difference is single speed rear wheels are naturally tougher with less dish.
  • x-isle
    x-isle Posts: 794
    As already said, the Chase, including the black on the Monkey is fine on either a rigid MTB or Cross bike. I see a few people doing it and never heard anyone say it's a struggle!
    Craig Rogers
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I saw a guy and his son (12 years old at most) on cross bikes near the end of the Monkey on the chase a few months agp, so it should be fine, just slower and bumpier than an MTB.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • x-isle
    x-isle Posts: 794
    ....and if that bloke that goes around the Monkey on a Uni-cycle can do it, then it should be able to be done on anything! :lol:
    Craig Rogers
  • .blitz
    x-isle wrote:
    ....and if that bloke that goes around the Monkey on a Uni-cycle can do it, then it should be able to be done on anything! :lol:
    In all fairness he seems to spend quite a bit of time running along with it under his arm :lol:
  • bails87
    .blitz wrote:
    x-isle wrote:
    In all fairness he seems to spend quite a bit of time running along with it under his arm :lol:

I saw three of them all riding down the section that eventually splits between FTD and the monkey!
    MTB/CX

• .blitz
    There's three of them ?

:shock:
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    Nope, bails was just really, really drunk.
  • bails87
    whyamihere wrote:
    Nope, bails was just really, really drunk.

Hey, it's a long drive, I got thirsty! :lol:

There were three of them though, and a coupl eof guys on proper bikes filimg/photographing them.
    MTB/CX

• .blitz
    Of course there were three of them... :roll: :wink::)