Thermal Sock

sketchley
sketchley Posts: 4,238
edited November 2010 in Commuting chat
My new winter cycling gear held up well today no problem except very cold toes. This was despite 2 pairs of ordinary socks and a pair of seal skins on the top, they maybe waterproof but they are not thermal. I know I should MTFU but I don't want cold toes!

I think what I need are some good termal socks to wear under the seal skins. Suggestions please!
--
Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5

Comments

• hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    what sealskinz do you have?

i wore the merino mid thermal waterproof ones with a thin pair of budget tesco black socks underneath and was toasty warm.
    Hat + Beard
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    Sketchley wrote:
    My new winter cycling gear held up well today no problem except very cold toes. This was despite 2 pairs of ordinary socks and a pair of seal skins on the top, they maybe waterproof but they are not thermal. I know I should MTFU but I don't want cold toes!

I think what I need are some good termal socks to wear under the seal skins. Suggestions please!

I have about 0 knowledge abotu socks, but have you considered overshoes?
  • +1 on overshoes - they keep the wind chill off your toes which is half the battle won. Then on really cold days I have a pair of DeFeet WoolieBoolie merino socks to keep my toes nice and toasty. Cold toes are my pet hate in the winter, pretty much everything else I can handle but cold toes are the worst.
  • Is there no system of heated socks that can be worn and powered from electricity generated by the movement of pedalling?
  • Maxticate wrote:
    Is there no system of heated socks that can be worn and powered from electricity generated by the movement of pedalling?

Is that the same one that comes on your handlebars as well?
    FCN - 10
    Cannondale Bad Boy Solo with baggies.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    How many socks? Do your shoes end up being too tight? That'll constrict blood flow and make your feet cold.

+1 to overshoes
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • +1 for overshoes as they should keep the wind from draining the heat from your feet. Sealskins are good but only for keeping the rain out really.

Personally I wear a good pair of winter socks and overshoes on wet/windy days and a pair of oversocks on dry cold days as they are windproof.

On line you can get some battery powered socks
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nordic-Gear-Bat ... B000LYP910
    and they do work I did own a pair for mountaineering and lasted about 3 years but do eat battery power.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Stoo48
    Stoo48 Posts: 54
    Ice Breaker Merino socks bought on a whim from Brisbane airport, wore them for the first time, fabulous.....
  • 'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • sketchley
    Thanks for suggestions.

@JonGinge Circulation might be part of it, I think having the velcro straps on cycling shoes fairly tight with extra socks might be cause, but I like it like that.... New shoes maybe.....

@Maxticate - How about a small coil in the pedal spindle to generate power while spinning, then connected via the cleat to a heating element in the sole of the shoe. That's got to be possible assuming the coil can generate enough power.
    --
    Chris

• sketchley
    Picked up a pair of DeFeet WoolieBoolie on way home. Will post report when I use them.

Chris
    --
    Chris