Rapha Deep Winter Tights

cougie
cougie Posts: 22,512
edited November 2010 in Road buying advice
http://www.rapha.cc/deep-winter-tights/ ... ntertights

£220 ?? And at those prices - obviously you dont get a seatpad.

And they've only got reflectives on one leg - that costs money dont you know.

I'll stick with the DHBs I think... .

Comments

• Yawn.
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • cougie
    If the topic isnt of interest - why even look at it or post ? :?:
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Yawn.

+1
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    I've got a 10% voucher so I'm about to order mine :D
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    Makes Assos seem reasonable :shock:
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    I know which brand I'd rather have .....
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Don't worry. The new Assos catalogue arrived today and it's packed with uber kit that you didn't think you'd need but now want. The Robofoil cap or the trio of classic jerseys incl.Renault as worn by L.Fignon
    M.Rushton
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,856
    mrushton wrote:
    trio of classic jerseys incl.Renault as worn by L.Fignon

Do you have a link for that?

<want>
  • cougie wrote:

It could have been interesting - but instead it was another post slagging off Rapha's products and pricing, even though you're obviously on their email list and visit their website.
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    mrushton wrote:
    trio of classic jerseys incl.Renault as worn by L.Fignon

Do you have a link for that?

<want>

http://www.life-time-gear.com/2010/09/a ... s2011.html

The Heritage pack is on page 178 of the catalogue but I have a feeling you may struggle to get the pack over here unless it's a special purchase
    M.Rushton
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    cougie wrote:
    http://www.rapha.cc/deep-winter-tights/?cm_mmc=email-_-101110-_-textlink2-_-deepwintertights

£220 ?? And at those prices - obviously you dont get a seatpad.

And they've only got reflectives on one leg - that costs money dont you know.

I'll stick with the DHBs I think... .

wHEELSUCKER
  • Gore Xenon or Assos at those prices.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    I like Rapha stuff, have bought quite a few things over the years and find that they function flawlessly, last incredibly well, look good and so over the long term prove to be exceptional value. However, £220 for tights seems absurd to me. Even if one accepts at face value the notion that these may be the finest on the planet, are they really going to be proportionately that much better than other perfectly fine makes of tights to justify the additional price? I can't see it. I actually though it was a misprint at first.
  • christ! 220? If you have the cash fair enough I suppose but I think that is taking the piss a bit.
  • cougie
    cougie wrote:

It could have been interesting - but instead it was another post slagging off Rapha's products and pricing, even though you're obviously on their email list and visit their website.

FWIW - I have Rapha kit.

Softshell
    Rainjacket
    Gilet
    Andy Hampsten Giro leaders top
    Long sleeve winter jersey
    even a silly merino wool neck thing that I clearly bought when I had money burning a hole in my pocket.

Most of that kit was bought in the sales though - and usually at a lot less than the full price. I dont mind paying for quality. The winter jacket and rainjacket are great - as is the long sleeve top. The rest of it - well its nice but not my favourites.

If I am paying £220 for winter longs - I'd expect reflectives on both legs and a few more features than that seens to have,.

Winter longs will get cacked up. I'd rather have 4 pairs of DHBs than 1 pair of Rapha - I just cant see where teh cost is ?
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    cougie wrote:
    cougie wrote:

FWIW - I have Rapha kit.

Softshell
    Rainjacket
    Gilet
    Andy Hampsten Giro leaders top
    Long sleeve winter jersey
    even a silly merino wool neck thing that I clearly bought when I had money burning a hole in my pocket.

Most of that kit was bought in the sales though - and usually at a lot less than the full price. I dont mind paying for quality. The winter jacket and rainjacket are great - as is the long sleeve top. The rest of it - well its nice but not my favourites.

If I am paying £220 for winter longs - I'd expect reflectives on both legs and a few more features than that seens to have,.

Winter longs will get cacked up. I'd rather have 4 pairs of DHBs than 1 pair of Rapha - I just cant see where teh cost is ?

Agree with you on the softshell and L/S jersey. I'd add the softshell gilet to that list too.
    It's difficult to tell what the bibs are like until I've seen them, but they are in the same price bracket as Assos, so although expensive, it's not new territory. I've tried bibs with windblocker type construction before and they tend to restrict movement more than normal, so if Rapha have solved this they'll be worth it (to me anyhow). If they haven't, they'll go back and I'll get some Assos or Etxeondo.
  • gavintc
    gavintc Posts: 3,009
    Sadly, as soon as I get my Rapha e-mail advertising a a new product, I can predict a whining thread about the cost of Rapha kit. Some people really do have a problem.
  • why do people moan about rapha? Its just a brand and nothing more.

No-one complains when a bike manufacturer comes out saying this frame will be £3000. Or when Oakley launch £300 glasses... or when Garmin launch £400 GPS units. Or when.. blah blah the list goes on.

Rapha do seem to take a fake chunk of hate, however the rapha kit i own and have seen deserves nothing but respect. Hands down best jerseys in my eyes and the softshell is incredible. Fair enough their expensive, but if you arent buying it.. nor want it why moan?
  • london-red
    london-red Posts: 1,266
    I have a real problem with people accusing people of "whining" when they bring this type of thing up on a public forum. I genuinely don't understand what makes people so loyal to Rapha to make them want to stick up for them so vehemently on here.

Sure, Rapha makes nice kit (I have a long-sleeve jersey and love it) but I totally agree with the OP that £220 for a pair of tights is taking the mick.

That doesn't make me a whiner, just a former customer who's going to stay that way if they don't sort out their price points.

And with the arrival of competitors like Shutt and, latterly, Torm, I don't think I'll be the only former Rapha customer on here...

(For the record, £45 on a pair of padded DHB tights arrived yesterday. Lovely.)
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    True - but then Rapha seems to set themselves up for it by seemingly going out of their way to create a poncy image for themselves. As I noted in my post above, I've bought a fair bit of their gear - softshell jacket, long and short sleeved jerseys, criterium gloves, and fixed shorts. Love it all. Great stuff. And Rapha's customer service has been great - when I wore a hole in the cuff of my gloves after what must have been about 20,000 miles of riding, they repaired it for free. I do not mind paying for quality. Not at all. Nor do I resent it if others can buy what I cannot afford.

By the same token though this is the same company that has in the past come up with 'gentleman's' training diaries at £135 a pop, the shaving kit for I-forget-what-price, and nearly comical looking bespoke riding suits for $3000. It leads you to wonder what goes on in their minds. I wince on their behalf sometimes because they don't seem to have the sense to wince for themselves.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,313
    I paid £50 for a pair of Rapha tights. Seems reasonable to me. :twisted:
  • gavintc
    gavintc Posts: 3,009
    andyp wrote:
    I paid £50 for a pair of Rapha tights. Seems reasonable to me. :twisted:

Yes, I got some of those as well - last autumn. Excellent quality as well.
  • cougie
    If DHB are knocking their winter tights out for £45 or so - I'd not think that Rapha could be much more than say £80 or £90 tops. Maybe they've left their pricing on this to the teams from the apprentice ?
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Here we go again. Ive got loads of Rapha. I keep looking for alternatives but can't find any. I have tried Shutt but the fit was wrong then they just couldn't get my size in what I wanted. Then I tried Torm which is just a blatant Rapha rip off and the fit wasn't good. I can't believe they didn't try harder to make it look like their own. I wear Assos shorts but don't really want to look like a character out of a sci-fi movie or Doctor Who, so no jackets and jerseys.

I haven't bought anything from Rapha that I've been disappointed with except the winter tights which for the money should have been warmer. Great fit though. Instead of bringing out Deep Winter tights they should have improved the other ones and kept them at the same price. The Bib Knickers are fantastic for the warmer winter days.

If you don't appreciate the fit and style of Rapha then don't spend the money. Most cycle clothing looks terrible to me so I'm glad of Rapha but worry sometimes about the city trader image and the poncy 'gentleman' products. They will be selling mustache wax soon.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • Well I'm not a rich person by any standards but I would be the first to point out the quality of Rapha. I have over the last year of riding bought quite a lot of their stuff on recommendation from others and can see why. The items look good, do the job they are meant too, good customer service and super fast delivery. I've been asked by quite a few of my club mates about their gear and have recommended them.

The way I see it they are bit like the Apple of the bike world, people who own them go on about how good they are and people that don't moan that they just don't see the point!

Basically I buy their goods because I can, I like the design/functionality and I know people that don't like their goods. But please don't let us fall out over it.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Never even got close enough to either Assos or Rapha stuff to be able to make my own judgement on the subject but I have to say if the OP was going to slag off a product directly tey could at least get the link right?

It's a dead one when I click it!! :roll:
    FCN 7

FCN 4

if you use irrational measures to measure me, expect me to behave irrationally to measure up
  • Rapha as a company was formed up by marketing experts as a premium brand.
    They clearly anticipated the 'MAMIL' trend/phase/movement (delete as appropriate) and built a brand aimed squarely at their wallets.
    Their products appear from the posts on these forums and my experience of a gillet (a gift to me) to be excellent quality and performance. This doesn't seem to be a point of contention.

Their pricing policy is, from a business perspective - a work of genius and I applaud them for having the stones to go where others fear to tread (bespoke suit etc).

From a personal perspective I think it is priced on the high side and does not represent value for money. Ultimately I don't buy into the brand.

What is 'deep winter' anyway and does it mean we get 'shallow summer'?
  • ShutUpLegs
    Like cycling existed before Rapha.....
  • clx1
    clx1 Posts: 200
    This thread and all the others either loving or hating Rapha must have the guys at Rapha rubbing their hands together with delight. It illustrates what a fantastic marketing dept. they have. It must be one of the most talked about brands in cycling and apart from their website and sponsorship I don't believe they do any above the line advertising.
    Their more barmy products like the tweed suit are no more than marketing actions designed to draw interest and therefore publicity to the brand.
    Personally 90% of my gear is Rapha and I think that judged properly it is very good value for money, I couldn't really give a monkeys what anyone thinks about my choices.
  • ShutUpLegs
    CLX1 wrote:
    This thread and all the others either loving or hating Rapha must have the guys at Rapha rubbing their hands together with delight. It illustrates what a fantastic marketing dept. they have. It must be one of the most talked about brands in cycling and apart from their website and sponsorship I don't believe they do any above the line advertising.
    Their more barmy products like the tweed suit are no more than marketing actions designed to draw interest and therefore publicity to the brand.
    Personally 90% of my gear is Rapha and I think that judged properly it is very good value for money, I couldn't really give a monkeys what anyone thinks about my choices.

Can you link any review where Rapha is 'very good value for money'?