Endura Neoprene Overshoes

The good doctor
The good doctor Posts: 307
edited November 2010 in Commuting general
I have just purchased a pair of these overshoes and used them on Monday and Tuesday riding in torrential rain.
During the ride which is only around 25 minutes I started to get that soggy feeling and although my feet stayed warm which is a plus, my shoes and socks were soaked. The top of my shoes were still dry though so I'm assuming that water seeped down my leg and up through the cleat area.
I was hoping for a lot more water proofing and not just warm wet feet & shoes. Anyone else tried these ?

Thanks

John

Comments

• Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I use these and yes, in torrential downpours my feet still get wet, although not as wet as they do without. I think a lot of the water comes in through the bottom as my shoes have ventilation holes in the bottom. The other problem I have had with them is the zip, whilst the cover itself is pretty solid, I find the zips are pretty weak and usually fail farily quickly
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • deffler
    deffler Posts: 829
    neoprene isnt waterproof though so your feet will get wet, I believe neoprene is designed to keep you warm when wet, not keep the wet out :wink:
    Boardman Hybrid Pro

Planet X XLS
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Bought these last winter. They were worse than useless. As HH says, the zips are weak. Both failed within weeks.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    after not having much luck with overshoes i went for some shimano mw80

VERY happy so far
  • +1 for Shimano MW80

Even they will let the water in through the cuff though in a downpour. The only way to keep totaly dry in the rain we've had the last couple of days is MW80s, BBB overshoes (which fit properly over these shoes so you don't end up walking on the seams) then waterproof trousers over the top. Tried without the overshoes but the waterproof trousers rest against the cuff at the ankle of the MW80 and the water soaks in through it.
    Dolan Preffisio
    2010 Cube Agree SL
  • pshore
    pshore Posts: 61
    cjcp wrote:
    Bought these last winter. They were worse than useless. As HH says, the zips are weak. Both failed within weeks.

I have both types of endura shoe covers and waterproof shoes. I would recommend the latter if you do a lot of cycling.

First, I bought the neoprene for offroad mtb. The lasted about a year but found when walking the toe part would lift up revealing my shimano shoes. The zip has broken on mine too - you have to fit them tight which causes problems. They are not waterproof but resist splashes. Other peeps I know find them ok and they do not lift up with other shoes.

I also have the non-neoprene type. These work well, are waterproof but would not last long walking on them. I would say they are a road only cover. Good to keep in the pannier for rainy days. They are a faff to get on and off and it gets tedious in winter.

Third, I just bought Specialized Defrosters. Waterproof, easy to clean mud off. Not overly warm (I need extra socks around 5degC) but I think that is a good thing to extend the usage through spring and autumn. I tried on the Shimano's too, fine apart from they seemed more tricky to put on and marginally worse quality IMHO.
  • deffler wrote:
    neoprene isnt waterproof though so your feet will get wet, I believe neoprene is designed to keep you warm when wet, not keep the wet out :wink:

Nope, Neoprene is definitely waterproof - my scubadiving drysuit attests to that. However, it's tough to make waterproof seals on neoprene clothing, so water leaks in at the edges rather than through the neoprene itself.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Yeah neoprene is waterproof - but if you have lycra underneath it then the rain will just soak down your legs and down to your feet. Full guards and a decent front flap will be a big help here to avoid the spray.
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    I was hoping for a lot more water proofing and not just warm wet feet & shoes

There's a big hole at the top, and two more on the bottom. They're clealry never going to keep the water out, however waterproof neoprene is.

I've got a pair and am very happy with them- they're cheap and they keep my feet warm, just as they're supposed to.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Based on this thread I bought a pair of BBB BWS 04 neoprene overshoes. Ordered them on ebay through Absolute Cycles yesterday and they've already arrived! 1st impressions are that they're much better made than the Endura ones. Seem to fit the shoes better and the zip is far chunkier and feels stronger whereas the Endura zip feels like it might burst open at any time. £18.95 through Absolute Cycles on ebay.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • I have just purchased a pair of these overshoes and used them on Monday and Tuesday riding in torrential rain......... my shoes and socks were soaked

Do you have mudguards ?
  • Mudguards are on the shopping list now....