Sexism in the workplace...

gtvlusso
gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
edited November 2010 in Commuting chat
I think I am being treated unfairly!!

I have made a commitment to drop my daughter off at Nursery 3 days a week and set my hours to 08:30 to 16:30 with a 30 min lunch.

My boss is making a big song and dance about it because I would be the only male in the building asking for "flexi" time. Our policy states that core business hours are 10am to 4pm - anything around that is flexible.....

As several of the women on my team already flex their hours for childcare and I have agreed to this through policy and diplomacy (i.e. they sent me an e-mail of a proposal and I agreed or negotiated) - I fel it odd that the comment of "the only male on flexible working" would be relevent?!

Ultimately, I am not paid the £100k a year that he is to be here 24/7 and allow my "kept wife" to raise the kids!

Feeling a bit f*cked off......

Comments

• SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    ++1 Almost exactly the same boat matey.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • That's really not on.

Find the book, then throw it at him.
  • waddlie
    waddlie Posts: 542
    gtvlusso wrote:

I have made a commitment to drop my daughter off at Nursery 3 days a week and set my hours to 08:30 to 16:30 with a 30 min lunch.

My boss is making a big song and dance about it because I would be the only male in the building asking for "flexi" time. Our policy states that core business hours are 10am to 4pm - anything around that is flexible.....

As several of the women on my team already flex their hours for childcare and I have agreed to this through policy and diplomacy (i.e. they sent me an e-mail of a proposal and I agreed or negotiated) - I fel it odd that the comment of "the only male on flexible working" would be relevent?!

Ultimately, I am not paid the £100k a year that he is to be here 24/7 and allow my "kept wife" to raise the kids!

Your boss is on extremely thin ice, and almost definitely breaking the law. What a numpty.
    Rules are for fools.
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Threaten to wear that shirt to work again.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Your Boss is clearly on crack. No other obvious explanation for such staggering ignorance of basic employment law!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    will3 wrote:
    Threaten to wear that shirt to work again.

:lol:
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    gtvlusso wrote:

Wow, thin ice indeed, those are the sort of comments that HR would be petrified could bring about constructive dismissal claims if left unchecked, surprised he wasn't more careful to reign in such comments.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • FeynmanC
    FeynmanC Posts: 649
    Ask if you can have those comments in writing, and would he mind CC'ing HR too. :wink:
    us0.png
  • TuckerUK
    TuckerUK Posts: 369
    I would imagine you are now extremely traumatised by his sexist comment, and will need some time off to recover from the shock, ultimately you may well feel unable to return to the workplace facing such a level of discrimination.

Just saying...
    "Coming through..."
  • TuckerUK
    TuckerUK Posts: 369
    You should also point out to your boss that he's acting like a Gene Hunt.
    "Coming through..."
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Yeah, your boss is being a c*nt, but your hours are 10 - 4 with flexibility? You lucky sod. 9 - 6 here, no flexi-time at all.
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    Yeah, your boss is being a c*nt, but your hours are 10 - 4 with flexibility? You lucky sod. 9 - 6 here, no flexi-time at all.

normally it means you do 9 - 5.30/6 but if you come in early or late you have to be there by 10 and until at least 4 and you put in the hours you missed at the other end of the day

7-4 or 10-8 for example.
    Hat + Beard
  • BR 1979
    BR 1979 Posts: 296
    I had to go on a gender equality course last week.

You should have seen the tits on the bird running it, fantastic.
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Not sure you even need to give a reason for utilising the flex time. If you meet the core-hour requirements and your contracted hours, there is no grounds for argument. The male/female argument is irrelevant and certainly enters into the area of discrimination.

Obviously taking a hard-line might alienate your boss - did you just change your hours without informing him, and take a 'like it or lump it' attitude? If so, can see why he might be miffed, but still no grounds for that behaviour.

HR!
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    will3 wrote:
    Threaten to wear that skirt to work again.

Fixed that for you
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Re the book, and the throwing thereof: I recommend printing out Wikipedia, and having it bound in inch thick lead plates (against the possibility of radioactive contamination), and then throw that at him. Honestly, what sort of muppet is this?
    MiniLogo-1.jpg
    http://www.velochocolate.co.uk Special Treats for Lifestyle Cyclists

From FCN from 8 (road bike, beard, bag, work clothes) to 15 (on my Brompton)
  • Re the book, and the throwing thereof: I recommend printing out Wikipedia, and having it bound in inch thick lead plates (against the possibility of radioactive contamination), and then throw that at him. Honestly, what sort of muppet is this?
    MiniLogo-1.jpg
    http://www.velochocolate.co.uk Special Treats for Lifestyle Cyclists

From FCN from 8 (road bike, beard, bag, work clothes) to 15 (on my Brompton)
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    Did anyone else hear your boss make this statement ??

is this his first error of judgement or is this the latest in a long line of f u ckwittery ??? if it's the latter then HR may be aware of him and waiting for something to nail him on...
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    What's good for the goose is good for the gander, quite literally.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • My commiserations - the guy sounds like a prize twunt.

Bear in mind that at this stage "He's making a song and a dance." Let him. Maybe use your diplomatic skills to find out whether he genuinely thinks that people should be treated differently according to their gender. If he makes it obvious that he doesn't know where to draw the line then it sounds like he'll be ripe for a bit of an anal probe from HR (depends how useless your local amateur troupe are, of course).
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • Check out

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mini-Camera-Pen-S ... 2a0ba96fd6

I have MANY different cameras, and swear by them, and have used them on many occasions.

Wear it then ask again, you have your evidence in case you need it...........

Single father three disabled sons I know about sex discrimination..........
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,355
    gtvlusso wrote:

If you have an established policy of flexi time round core hours why did the female members of staff (or you for that matter) need to propose/negotiate flexible working?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Asked the HR bod in work today and she said that flexitime for childcare should apply equally to both sexes. A few years ago it was a female only thing but nowadays blokes can skive legitimately like this too.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.