Something in the Air...

Wallace1492
Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
edited November 2010 in Commuting chat
Well, after my off on Monday, I have been cautious on the roads. Not indulging in much SCR, but just happy still to be on bike.

Today was pootling in when 2 guys went past me, as I slowed down towards red traffic light. First guy had full team kit, sleek bike, and looked like a real roadie. Next guy was on a decent single speed, but maybe not as fit as he could be, but was dressed the part, and had legs like tree trunks. When the lights changed, the sleek roadie dissapeared, and the other guy pulled away. I tucked in behind him taking it easy.... I did notice a patch of dark road ahead, and to me that signaled possible ice, so i pulled out wider than primary in the road (road is 2 lanes each way at this point, and was quiet at the time) The guy did not move out, hit the ice and went down like a sack of spuds, arms and legs everywhere, his bottle clattering across Maryhill Road... I had to quickly brake, check behind and move out to narrowly avoid him. I stopped to check he was ok....

He seemed OK, but had torn shorts, cut to backside and knee. Bike had broken spoke and buckled rear wheel and was not rideable. I left him phoning his batter half to come and get him....

His biggest concern was the ar5e torn out of his almost new Assos 3/4 length trousers.

Watch out for the Ice (and leaves) and as for icy leaves.....
"Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"

Comments

• SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Having to start upping the old care now folks, slippy stuff will be upon us (even in the soft south) very shortly.

Don't worry London you Londonites, it's what happens when surface water gets below the temperature point of solidification, I'll see if I can find a link to a Utube clip to explain it properly. :D
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    ...tonight.

Be careful out there folks.
  • SimonAH wrote:
    Having to start upping the old care now folks, slippy stuff will be upon us (even in the soft south) very shortly.

Don't worry London you Londonites, it's what happens when surface water gets below the temperature point of solidification, I'll see if I can find a link to a Utube clip to explain it properly. :D

Oh, don't worry, we're all quite familiar with ice down here.

We have it in our drinks, you see.

Chin, chin!
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Ice? You want to get yourself down to London. Only ice down here is in the drinks :P

Good skills on spotting and avoiding both the ice and the rider!
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Down to 1C again. I had the (almost) full winter gear on this morning (nighvision and thermal tights, winter gloves) and spidey sense on full. The verges were white with hoar frost on the country sections - wonderfully fresh but I was wary.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    Ice? You want to get yourself down to London. Only ice down here is in the drinks :P

Yes, this time there was a man in road on the main road. jeremyrundle will understand!! (or maybe I have confused him....)
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    He seemed OK, but had torn shorts, cut to backside and knee. Bike had broken spoke and buckled rear wheel and was not rideable. I left him phoning his batter half to come and get him....

Keyboard slip I hope :shock:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • daviesee wrote:

It's a scottish thing. I hear they deep-fry everything.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    daviesee wrote:

It's a scottish thing. I hear they deep-fry everything.

Mmmmm, Deep Fried Haggis. Best thing about the Edinburgh Festival.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    .... I left him phoning his batter half to come and get him....

....quote]

Easy to tell you're in Glasgow Area
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Wrath Rob wrote:

Yes, this time there was a man in road on the main road. jeremyrundle will understand!! (or maybe I have confused him....)

Dyslexics of the world untie!
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Greg66 wrote:
    SimonAH wrote:

Oh, don't worry, we're all quite familiar with ice down here.

We have it in our drinks, you see.

Chin, chin!

Gets my vote of POTY

luv ur work! :wink:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Well, after my off on Monday, I have been cautious on the roads. Not indulging in much SCR, but just happy still to be on bike.

Today was pootling in when 2 guys went past me, as I slowed down towards red traffic light. First guy had full team kit, sleek bike, and looked like a real roadie. Next guy was on a decent single speed, but maybe not as fit as he could be, but was dressed the part, and had legs like tree trunks. When the lights changed, the sleek roadie dissapeared, and the other guy pulled away. I tucked in behind him taking it easy.... I did notice a patch of dark road ahead, and to me that signaled possible ice, so i pulled out wider than primary in the road (road is 2 lanes each way at this point, and was quiet at the time) The guy did not move out, hit the ice and went down like a sack of spuds, arms and legs everywhere, his bottle clattering across Maryhill Road... I had to quickly brake, check behind and move out to narrowly avoid him. I stopped to check he was ok....

His biggest concern was the ar5e torn out of his almost new Assos 3/4 length trousers.

Watch out for the Ice (and leaves) and as for icy leaves.....

Chapeau for helping a downed man! And some good advice for the winter months ahead.

Where's my Martini?!
  • There were branches / twigs / and the odd house in the air this morning! :shock:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Not too bad in Leeds so I did my full morning extended commute (extended a wee bit further to bring it up to 25 miles).

A bit of damp in the air, some wind but not really cold. Not sure what route home I'll be taking though....
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Never really get ice in London on the main roads, they're always so well salted. I biked right through the snowy weather earlier this year and the year before...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Alphabet
    Alphabet Posts: 436
    had a fun ride (slide) through Southwark park this morning. Couldn't see the path for the leaves and had a few slippery moments. Didn't realise a two wheeled sideways skid was possible with a fixed wheel, but hey ho. Stayed more or less upright though and made it through the park alive. think i'll stick to the roads tomorrow :shock: