Advice needed

johnnygooner
johnnygooner Posts: 43
edited November 2010 in MTB general
whilst doing a degrease and re-lube on my drive train, I thouhjt it would be a good idea to do it in the hall as the missus was away and it was cold in my garage.

I now realise the error of my ways and as testimony to my poor decision I now have a number of oil spots on my wall!

I'm quite keen for my testicles to remain in their current location, so to that end, can anyone offer any advice as to removing said oil spots from a painted wall before she gets back tomorrow night?

I've tried the obvious soapy water but to no avail.

Thanks in advance chaps

Comments

• Ransaka
    Ransaka Posts: 474
    Not sure what degreaser will do to paint on the wall but maybe a dab on a cloth and try that?
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    washing up liquid?

and a carpet cleaner like a rug doctor or vax

and you need diamonds mate, lots and lots of diamonds
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    Repaint the wall, tell her you decorated as a suprise.... :roll: amateur!
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    I'm quite keen for my testicles to remain in their current location, so to that end, can anyone offer any advice as to removing said oil spots from a painted wall before she gets back tomorrow night?
    Get the kids/dog/friends-who-are-more-of-a-bad-smell to make an even bigger mess in the hall. Your chain lube will go unnoticed.

Let us know how you get on :twisted:
  • Thanks for the excellent, if slightly flawed, advice so far.

Remaining child at home has already reliably informed me "she'll go mental when she sees that" Yeah, thanks for that!

Diamonds are an excellent idea but seeing as I'm just about to buy a really cool looking singlespeed, like the ones they ride in that fancy London, funds are a bit tight at the moment. I could stretch  to "2 dine for £9.99" at local boozer but I fear the dubious quality may antagonise an already fraught situation. 

On the plus side I've managed to blag an afternoon off work. Ostensibly to clean up but now I find myself with an afternoon off and a bike that screams to be ridden.

I think an afternoon in Welsh mountains will surely focus the mind as to an appropriate solution!
  • mkf
    mkf Posts: 242
    afternoon in Welsh mountains, oil spot on wall ,very close to christmas = dog house :lol:
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Do you know what paint colour it is? If so, get a tester pot and repaint it :D

Otherwise, if it's high enough stick a painting over it?
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • What miss notax says. but the other thing to try is damp cloth and fairy it works more often that not when i ahve made such tactical errors
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    Thanks for the excellent, if slightly flawed, advice so far.

Remaining child at home has already reliably informed me "she'll go mental when she sees that" Yeah, thanks for that!

Diamonds are an excellent idea but seeing as I'm just about to buy a really cool looking singlespeed, like the ones they ride in that fancy London, funds are a bit tight at the moment. I could stretch  to "2 dine for £9.99" at local boozer but I fear the dubious quality may antagonise an already fraught situation. 

On the plus side I've managed to blag an afternoon off work. Ostensibly to clean up but now I find myself with an afternoon off and a bike that screams to be ridden.

I think an afternoon in Welsh mountains will surely focus the mind as to an appropriate solution!

there you go, even more reason to buy diamonds, not only will it get you out of some hot water, it'll stop you looking a twat as well.

I misread wall for floor, if it were me I'd just paint over it.
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If the paint is water based the oil will just keep on coming through, for ever and ever, like a scene out of a horror movie.
    I feel really sorry for you.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    Here you go... linky
  • TuckerUK
    TuckerUK Posts: 369
    I've always managed to get oil spots off emulsioned walls using neat washing up liquid and plenty of elbow grease. Keep turning the cloth so you're always using a clean bit. Kind of spreads the stain around and dilutes it more than actually removing it, but I've always been pleasantly surprised at the results. Mind you, that could be due to the dodgy decorating and poor lighting in our abode?
    "Coming through..."
  • Babywipes. I have no idea what these are powered by, or how they're even safe for a child's skin, but they remove anything from everything. My chains have never been so clean.
  • Babywipes. I have no idea what these are powered by, or how they're even safe for a child's skin, but they remove anything from everything. My chains have never been so clean.
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    Buy an umbrella stand or some other object, and stick it in front of where the patches are. Also you could repaint in oil based paint...
  • timpop
    timpop Posts: 394
    I always get oily bits on the kitchen floor but thankfully it's the right colour not to be noticed.

My solution is to use sugar soap. As for cleaning oily hands, mix neat washing up liquid with soap and gently rub across affected area.

Then paint it and remove light bulbs from the hall or turn off power to hallway lights. I'm sure she won't notice a thing... :wink:
    Many happy trails!
  • cj11
    cj11 Posts: 72
    Baby wipes, but go careful if you rub too hard they will take the paint off. Found that out the hard way but as mentioned above there is nothing they wont clean.
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    timpop wrote:
    Then paint it and remove light bulbs from the hall or turn off power to hallway lights. I'm sure she won't notice a thing... :wink:

Or just burn the house down.

Face it, remaining child at home is going to tell your missus the moment she gets home.

I'm with the diamond option... big diamonds.
  • white spirit usually removes most oily stains.
  • jon87uk
    jon87uk Posts: 158
    If you have the right coloured pain then you want to put a thin coat of watered down PVA glue on, let that dry and then paint over.
    Current - Cotic BFe - Pike RC - XT - Hope Arch EX
    Previous - 09 Marin Wolfridge 6.7 - 03 Kona Roast
  • I'd go with the baby wipes too as they clean up anything.

Then just man up and tell her what you did - about not wanting to be cold & you made a mess in the hall on the wall and they you had to clean it up. Worked for me after I cleaned my best bike in the bath one day as it was slightly dirty and needed a clean and was raining and cold outside.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Much as I don't like to quote others, but I feel in this case is sound advice apparently from someone known as "Yee":

"Tell her the truth for god's sake. If she moans, either slap some sense into her, or try to win her round with a promise of some fisting later on."