Meet the Big Cheese!

rolf_f
rolf_f Posts: 16,015
edited November 2010 in Commuting chat
Aka my Ribble Gran Fondo.

Umm, well - that's two carbon framed, sportive geometry bikes in barely more than 6 months :oops:

Still, seemed silly not to take advantage of C2W again - and for once get something that was meant for the commute (shame I haven't quite brought myself to use it in anger yet....)

Anyway, as it happens, it is damn good. About £1100 retail for Dedaccai carbon frame, full Campagnolo Centaur and Khamsin wheels. It weighs a little over 20lbs - some 3.5 - 4 lbs more than the Look but I reckon a couple of pounds of that is down to the wheels and tyres. True, it does mean I've ended up with a red, white and black bike which I promised myself not to do (I mean, it always looks good but red, white and black is to bikes what silver is to cars and magnolia to interior decorating; undeniably tasteful but perhaps a little predictable :wink: ) but it carries it well and I like the unidirectional raw carbon.

So, a pretty remarkable bargain - it rides really well and, compared to the Dawes, the difference between the Look and the Ribble is negligible. Mind you, I don't get quite the same thrill out of riding the Ribble. The Look is a proper thoroughbred and, for that matter, a much better looker! But only a fool would mock the Ribble; it is insanely good value. Just waiting on some cages from Carbonista and then I'll be looking to fit the Crud Racer Mk2s I bought for it - then there will be no excuse to take it to work :D

P1080142edsm.jpg
P1080145sm.jpg
P1080147sm.jpg
Faster than a tent.......

Comments

• Hey black, white and red isn't that bad - my Felts same colour scheme and pretty dam expensive.

Personally think the Ribble looks dam fine though!
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Tiz very nice but how can it weigh 20lbs ??? I have the Ribble sportive and it weights around 16lbs

Still nice and a tad decadent for the commute, no!?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,408
    Love the little bit of Photoshop work on the top picture :lol:
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rolf_f
    itboffin wrote:
    Tiz very nice but how can it weigh 20lbs ??? I have the Ribble sportive and it weights around 16lbs

Still nice and a tad decadent for the commute, no!?

Can't comment on calibration of the scales but I think they are OK so no reason to assume the 20lbs is wrong. It makes sense though -if I put the Neutrons on the Ribble it should come out at a bit under 18 lbs. The frame and forks are by my reckoning 460 grams heavier than the Sportive (alloy steerer and larger diameter frame tubes) but you'd need much more expensive kit than mine has to get down to anywhere near 16lbs - I have a lighter saddle I may put on it but not much else I can do aside from seat post and bars (and carbon bars often don't even seem to weigh less than alloy ones!). My Look is only about 16lbs and that has a lighter frame than the Sportive (in fact, the whole frame and fork is lighter than the Gran Fondo frame alone!) plus the Neutrons with ultralite inner tubes and Ultremos, Record mechs and Centaur remainder. There is little potential weight left to lose so I'm impressed that you've managed 16lbs! I reckon my spec, with the Neutrons but on a Sportive frame would be about 17lbs.
  • rolf_f
    rjsterry wrote:
    Love the little bit of Photoshop work on the top picture :lol:

I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about :lol:

I wish it really said that!
  • :lol::lol: brilliant photoshoppery, lovely looking bike!