Thinking of packing it in over the winter

prawny
prawny Posts: 5,440
edited November 2010 in Commuting chat
Title says it all really. Last few commutes have been sh1t, bad traffic awful swirling winds. It's been taking me well over and hour to do the 20 miles and I'm feeling really vulnerable.

Just feel like venting really, don't know if I can actually face the train, can't afford to drive god knows what I'll end up doing.

I just wish my commute wasn't so long and open, damn the countryside :cry:

How maudlin is that!
Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    It's okay take a couple of days off the bike, use PT - you'll be back

oh and ....

MTFU
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Would you prefer my 7 mile commute? Not that many hills, but constant heavy traffic, constant headwinds (because the winds swirl around the buildings),London drivers, loads of traffic lights etc.

I'd love to be riding in the country. Constant filtering does my head in. Not as much as PT though.

MTFU
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    bloody hell!

You commute 20 miles each way?

I was having a bit of a lull in the summer - too much wind for my liking, or rather it was bothering me much more than normal.

Take a few days off or maybe alternate. Dono how trains would be around where you live, but I think I would rather go naked by bike in torrential rain than in a bus during rush hour...
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    Try having a few days off, but be warned, if you get the train your'll wonder wtf you are doing and wishing you were on the bike ;) That's how I've been this week :(
  • I know what you mean the poor weather can be a real downer, but try and think positive I'd kill to be able to get those miles in over the off season. Come the warmer weather you will be flying!
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Yeh the London part of my commute is not really doing it for me atm I might ditch that bit, it's only 5 miles after all but the bleeding Boris bike are slow, heavy and never available.

OP why not reduce your commute distance or the number of times you do it, I have two rest days now, Monday & Wednesday 8)
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • prawny
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Would you prefer my 7 mile commute? Not that many hills, but constant heavy traffic, constant headwinds (because the winds swirl around the buildings),London drivers, loads of traffic lights etc.

I'd love to be riding in the country. Constant filtering does my head in. Not as much as PT though.

MTFU

It's crap because I've got both, the country side bits are bad because the wind whips across the fields with nothing to slow it down and trucks blast past and I'm shitting it about being blown infront of one. Then after that I'm into brum city centre with 5 or so miles of filtering.

Still could be worse, I've been thinking what the train used to be like eurgh (shivers)

Going back on the bike tomorrow anyway see how the rest of the week goes, maybe I need a nice shiney new bike...
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Took me not far short of two hours to do 22 miles on Monday! I can only dream of 20 miles in one hour; instead, I have 1500 feet and the bleakness of Otley Chevin to deal with. But it is just a habit to do it so I do do it. Besides, I am commited now in a charidy sense - I get to buy a big round at the Leeds German beer tent before it closes if I make 10,000 miles by that point - and if I get a bit of sponsorship. So I'll be out there, tramping the Leeds roads for the next 6 weeks, rain or shine, healthy or full of cold :?
    Faster than a tent.......
  • I look at it this way best part of the day is the ride to and from work, just you, your bike and your thoughts, no nagging boss, not going to say nagging wife oops I've said it. Try and enjoy it come the summer you'll have a bigger grin on your face.
  • I value my life and being a new cyclist i don't think I'm going to risk cycling in London with winds this fierce and crazy and impatience drivers until it gets a bit warmer. Headwind is definitely not a nice thing.
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    prawny wrote:

Going back on the bike tomorrow anyway see how the rest of the week goes, maybe I need a nice shiney new bike...

:D I think you've answered your own question there!

Failing that, take a few days off as mentioned above, I'm sure you'll start to miss it and be desperate to get back.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Moped or motorbike if you have a bike license?

My commute is 26 miles each way and I love it, even when I have to stand up on the pedals cycling down hill into horizontal rain and sleet............ :lol: . I would never take PT or go by car.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • I sprained my ankle 2 Saturdays ago, I can't wait to get back on the bike. Maybe a short break will re charge the batteries and you'll get your mojo back... Its certainly driving me mad.
    Bianchi Nirone C2C FCN4
  • My masochismo won't let me stop!
  • Lancslad
    Lancslad Posts: 307
    It takes me 1hr 10 (on average) to do 17 miles *sniff. Mind the worse bit is dodging the horse poo. I really must get more lights :)
    Novice runner & novice cyclist
    Specialized Tricross
    Orbea (Enol I think)
  • beegee
    beegee Posts: 160
    Maybe buy something for cycling - a bit of retail therapy. I am always keener to get on the bike when there is a new toy to play with. I have a mental age of 3 though. :)
  • prawny
    @ dilemna That's the reason I started commuting by bike in the first place, swmbo wouldn't sanction a motorbike so I joked about cycling in she challenged me, I ain't backing down that's how it starts.

I think a bit of retail therapy is in order. Sadly funds are lacking at the moment did use my new sam browne belt for the first time though this morning - simple things.

Anyway much better this morning less wind, found a new route that is less exposed, there's more traffic so it's slower but I feel safer so that's ok.
    I might have to convince the wife I need a cx bike. Now discs or cantis and hub gear or not? hmmmm :?
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    prawny wrote:
    Title says it all really. Last few commutes have been sh1t, bad traffic awful swirling winds. It's been taking me well over and hour to do the 20 miles and I'm feeling really vulnerable.

Just feel like venting really, don't know if I can actually face the train, can't afford to drive god knows what I'll end up doing.

I just wish my commute wasn't so long and open, damn the countryside :cry:

How maudlin is that!

Oh Prawny - I totally understand your dilemma. I too had a "Why the fudge am I doing this" whilst trying to ride through a gale and downpour, negotiating wet leaves in the pitch black. I was already in wet kit due to the morning downpour and gale......

Anyway - I had to take the car this morning - errands to run and the traffic was totally shite and full of useless w4nkers blocking up the road and driving at 45mph in 70mph zones.....Even had some silly bitch try and pull into the lane I was occupying while I was there (my vehicle is 2.2 tons, not exactly inconspicuous!)....utter stupidity. Now in a foul mood at work....

I will be cycling as much as possible over winter......
  • Stick to roads with high hedges/banks, try to stay low as much as possible.

Also, don't stress about it, sometimes you might just not want to cycle, you'll get back into it. It'll only take a few runs on PT before you're wishing you were on your bike - give yourself a break.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I'd pack it in for a bit then. I have - getting up at 6:30 to take an hour & a quarter to get to work in the freezing cold & probably wet as well just doesn't appeal at the mo, so I'm not bothering. AFAIK it's not a competition to see who's the daftest, doing as many miles as poss just for the sake of it.

Oh hold on. It is. :?: Still can't be bothered though. I'd kill for a nice easy 10 mile commute that I could knock out in half an hour or so. 21 is too much at this time of year on a regular basis.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Valy wrote:
    I think I would rather go naked by bike in torrential rain than in a bus during rush hour...

Pictures!!! :lol:
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    I value my life and being a new cyclist i don't think I'm going to risk cycling in London with winds this fierce and crazy and impatience drivers until it gets a bit warmer. Headwind is definitely not a nice thing.

BB, try to find a different route if possible and don't let the drivers put you off. They're just jealous.

Can't help with the headwind I'm afraid. I keep praying for a tailwind and every time the wind slaps me sideways I keep thinking I need some bulk to keep my bike in position :)
  • CiB wrote:
    I'd pack it in for a bit then. I have - getting up at 6:30 to take an hour & a quarter to get to work in the freezing cold & probably wet as well just doesn't appeal at the mo, so I'm not bothering. AFAIK it's not a competition to see who's the daftest, doing as many miles as poss just for the sake of it.

Oh hold on. It is. :?: Still can't be bothered though. I'd kill for a nice easy 10 mile commute that I could knock out in half an hour or so. 21 is too much at this time of year on a regular basis.

+1

Give me an 8-10 mile commute over the winter rather than the countryside 18 miles with Slough in the middle of it! My commute is quicker in the car so it has to be a pleasure for me to get up early and ride to work :roll:
  • It doesn't matter how cruddy the weather is or how miserable I'm feeling, I always cheer up immensely when I'm trundling along the side of the railway and see all the losers scowling at the noisy drunks in their overcrowded trains. I imagine them looking out of the window of their soul-destroying torment box and thinking 'Look at that lucky b*stard, I wish I was dead'
  • navt
    navt Posts: 374
    Yeah, but think of all the action you would have to forgo.

If it's been said once, it's been said before, MTFU!
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I'm not planning on dropping it this year, I didn't cycle in Dec 09 or Jan 10, but cycled fixed in Nov, Feb and March in the crappy weather. I'm now much fitter and have better kit, so here's hoping I can see it though.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,714
    Is a route through Walsall feasible? In my experience, it's not as fast as belting along Chester Road, but it does feel safer due to the lower traffic speeds and fewer lorries. Also, on the route into Brum, there's a handy bus lane for much of the A34, especially helpful over the M6 island...
  • prawny
    whyamihere wrote:
    Is a route through Walsall feasible? In my experience, it's not as fast as belting along Chester Road, but it does feel safer due to the lower traffic speeds and fewer lorries. Also, on the route into Brum, there's a handy bus lane for much of the A34, especially helpful over the M6 island...

That's the way I went yesterday. Much much better, there's still a fat unlit country side section after pelsall and then a sketchy crossing of the A5 but it's much more sheltered.

I think I'll be going that way for much of the winter. I've decided I can't face the train I;m just going to have to suck it up and stop being a gurl.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • bennj
    bennj Posts: 76
    Mate can totally relate, my commute is 31 miles door to door so 62 total. (into Manchester).

I try and do this twice a week, other days I am on my motorbike, or on a train to london!

Yesterday took me 16 mins longer than usual on the way in due to the headwind all the way, and I was wrecked when I got into work! I thought seriously about taking the train home.

anyway I left an hour early instead and enjoyed the tailwind home and thought about another 31 miles in the bag against the weekly target :),

still yet to go by commuter train this year, I would rather be cold and wet than pay for the pleasure of standing up for an hour and trying to not breath in the air from the coughing and sneezing masses...

hope it works out for you prawny,
    STOP!......... Carry on!

Roadie FCN 2
    when commuting FCN 5
    MTB FCN 10
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    bennj wrote:
    Mate can totally relate, my commute is 31 miles door to door so 62 total. (into Manchester).

I try and do this twice a week, other days I am on my motorbike, or on a train to london!

Yesterday took me 16 mins longer than usual on the way in due to the headwind all the way, and I was wrecked when I got into work! I thought seriously about taking the train home.

anyway I left an hour early instead and enjoyed the tailwind home and thought about another 31 miles in the bag against the weekly target :),

still yet to go by commuter train this year, I would rather be cold and wet than pay for the pleasure of standing up for an hour and trying to not breath in the air from the coughing and sneezing masses...

hope it works out for you prawny,

What were your speeds like - with the head/tail wind? :P

But that is pretty epic - a 30 mile commute. How long does it normally take you?