For those with solid beam lights

iwearshorts
iwearshorts Posts: 72
edited November 2010 in Commuting chat
How long do you spend fiddling with them when you set off?

aaargh, I must spend at least half my commute fiddling with the beam ... too high, too low, bit too the left, well maybe it should have been a bit higher so then buses will see it better, etc etc.

I'm hoping it will get better as winter progresses :)

Comments

• Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    I never feel the need to fiddle (oooh errrr...) with my lights. The majority of my commute is through fairly well lit areas though, and I also have some flashing knogg lights on my helmet in addition to other reflective strips on my bike so I'm not overly concerned about not being seen... I do dip the beam on my lights when I don't need them to see though - put it on the lower setting rather than max power just so I don't get so much random abuse from drivers telling me I'm blinding them - my lights aren't even that bright!

What lights are you using?
    FCN 2 to 8
  • Must disagree with the not been seen remark, don't give irresponsible drivers the opportunity to say they couldn't see you . I use 2 torch style lights on the front large rear light on the bike flashing red LED on my helmet and plenty of reflective clothing..

Be Seen Be Safe always springs to mind
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I spend about 1 second turning it on.. done

everyone can see me I love my front light
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Mine cut out 5 miles from home, both backup lights barely lit a few feet in front of me.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Carry some spare batteries they dont take much space 5 miles is along way with not much lighting to help you on the way.
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    I've got two bespoke front lights. One has started to turn itself off while I cycle, the other I broke the end off trying to adjust it downwards once and the front has now started to pop off as I cycle along. I seem to be doing quite a bit of fiddling as I cycle now. I leave my light mounts on the bike though so no need to fiddle before I leave, just slide the lights on..
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    What kind of alight is that? Does it literally not have any spread at all - just a beam?
  • itboffin
    Carry some spare batteries they dont take much space 5 miles is along way with not much lighting to help you on the way.

Its a magicshine P7 with battery pack, costs as much as the unit. I have a Fenix P7 torch on order, still takes 18650 rechargeable batteries which I have lots of thanks to many dead laptops.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    itboffin wrote:
    Carry some spare batteries they dont take much space 5 miles is along way with not much lighting to help you on the way.

Its a magicshine P7 with battery pack, costs as much as the unit. I have a Fenix P7 torch on order, still takes 18650 rechargeable batteries which I have lots of thanks to many dead laptops.

Can't you buy a battery pack for about £20 for a magicshine?
  • itboffin
    Valy wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Can't you buy a battery pack for about £20 for a magicshine?

If I could be arsed to search my old posts I'd show you what those cheap batteries do, it's not cool and hurts.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    I have one of these on the way. It's supposed to be the best light yet for road cycling and it's not that expensive.
    http://www.bike24.com/p214244.html
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    itboffin wrote:
    still takes 18650 rechargeable batteries which I have lots of thanks to many dead laptops.

Do you need some sort of charging circuit for li-ion batteries?

I searched ebay & I found this Not quite sure what it does though. :oops:
  • I just stick it on and turn it on. It's bright enough so that as long as it's facing vaguely forwards, I can see/be seen. Go go gadget Hope.
    FCN - 10
    Cannondale Bad Boy Solo with baggies.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    antfly wrote:
    I have one of these on the way. It's supposed to be the best light yet for road cycling and it's not that expensive.
    http://www.bike24.com/p214244.html

Let us know how that turns out. 80 lux is bright and them german laws make for really good road lights.

I've got a magicshine that I leave on the bars all the time so no fiddling really, I do get worried I might dazzle drivers though, but no complaints last night on high down an unlit lane, maybe I could go a bit higher?
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    I think this Philips one focuses most of the light on the road where you want it, the Germans are quite strict about not dazzling other road users and I wouldn't want to either. I bought it after reading this guy. http://www.xs4all.nl/~swhs/fiets/tests/ ... ml#Philips LED bike light

See the bit headed "Lamps that are battery powered and/or that have no cutoff:"
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • Mr Plum
    Must disagree with the not been seen remark, don't give irresponsible drivers the opportunity to say they couldn't see you . I use 2 torch style lights on the front large rear light on the bike flashing red LED on my helmet and plenty of reflective clothing..

Be Seen Be Safe always springs to mind

I think you've made a few assumptions - I didn't really give you much to disagree with. I don't worry too much about not being seen because I use a Smart 1W constant beam, a Smart 1/2W flashing, and a flashing knogg light on the front, in addition to reflective strips in various places on my bike. On the back I use a BS approved constant beam light, a Smart 1/2W flashing, as well as a flashing knogg. If I can't be seen, then we're all in trouble...
    FCN 2 to 8
  • georgee
    georgee Posts: 537
    My P7 SSC Superfire 900 lumen beauty turned up today, so i'll let you know..!
  • Mr Plum wrote:
    I never feel the need to fiddle (oooh errrr...) with my lights. The majority of my commute is through fairly well lit areas though, and I also have some flashing knogg lights on my helmet in addition to other reflective strips on my bike so I'm not overly concerned about not being seen... I do dip the beam on my lights when I don't need them to see though - put it on the lower setting rather than max power just so I don't get so much random abuse from drivers telling me I'm blinding them - my lights aren't even that bright!

What lights are you using?

Appologies for making an assumption, I hope I didn't offend, with the array of lights you have I must agree with your last quote. My wife tells me tonight I looked like a christmas tree on the bike !! Well at least I can be seen.
  • Mr Plum
    Appologies for making an assumption, I hope I didn't offend, with the array of lights you have I must agree with your last quote. My wife tells me tonight I looked like a christmas tree on the bike !! Well at least I can be seen.

Tiss the season... :wink:
    FCN 2 to 8