Forum home Road cycling forum Workshop

What is this part called?

rodgers73rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
edited November 2010 in Workshop
Its a small plastic item that rivets onto the underide of the bottom bracket. It allows the gear cables to pass under the BB and run smoothly in the channels carved into it.

I need a new one but have no idea how to search for one!




  • jj1048jj1048 Posts: 107
    Its a gear cable guide.
  • GavHGavH Posts: 933
    Keep your original bolt as Shimano don't ship these with bolts. Annoying when its for a new build!
  • rodgers73rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    Thanks guys
  • Just be aware that these can be frame specific in some cases. The one in the CRC link above is the generic one for use on bikes with "standard" sized BB shells (like steel frame for example), and is intended to work with Shimano front derailleurs, because that's how it routes the cable. The Campagnolo ones are *slightly* different shape channels, although pretty marginal.

    If you have a carbon frame with a massive BB shell, you may find these don't really fit as the curve is too tight in the plastic to seat properly, in which case you need to get one from your frame manufacturer. In particular, the carbon frame ones are sometimes shaped to route the front derailleur cable through a (small) hole in the BB shell to get a nice straight pull line on the mech. That means they are a different shape again.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • rodgers73rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    Its ok - its just a normal steel framed racer.
Sign In or Register to comment.