Whinlatter Enduro 20th March 2011 - My first!

sandybean
sandybean Posts: 55
edited November 2010 in XC and Enduro
Anyone registered for this yet? Its my first enduro event and can safely say i'll be in training mode after the festive season! Would be happy to hear peoples Enduro experiences and give me an idea of what i've signed up for although at the very least i'm guessing on a sore bottom!

Comments

• MikeWW
    MikeWW Posts: 723
    Done this a couple of times. Its a good event but reasonably tough due to a fair amount of climbing.Last year was slightly easier. I wouldn't wait until after the festive season to start training. Yesterday would be a lot better!
  • I'm going to enter the Enduro. Started racking up the miles a few weeks ago. Fair play to those people who do it singlespeed!
  • SiLanc
    SiLanc Posts: 180
    The WC is an excellent event, you won't regret making it your first but it is tough!

You can read about my experience here:

http://xcenduro.co.uk/racing/races/2009/wc_2009.asp

See you there :)
    Lap by lap analysis, videos, photos, race reports and a map of race locations www.xcenduro.co.uk
  • Cheers guys,

I'm already training, started circuit training tonight and trying to bike twice a week which i'll increase after the festive (drinking) season. Going to start riding my bike up some huge hills rather than technical off road which IMO should get me fitter.
  • SiLanc wrote:
    The WC is an excellent event, you won't regret making it your first but it is tough!

You can read about my experience here:

http://xcenduro.co.uk/racing/races/2009/wc_2009.asp

See you there :)

just read it...oh my, what have I let myself in for lol. I'm off the the gym every night until March! Can you give me advice about how to keep my body going with food/drink on the ride?
  • SiLanc
    SiLanc Posts: 180
    I usually aim for two gels (with water) or around 600ml of Isotonic sports drink (containing electrolytes to avoid cramping) per hour of riding. I used to take gels WITH sports fluids but I've read recently that this is not necessarily a good idea so now I do one or the other. I also usually carry something more substantial for when I'm feeling really hungry. I also carry a small packet of peanuts in case I start to cramp.

If you're going to try something new whilst riding you should definitely try it on a social ride and not a race in case it doesn't agree with you. I prefer High5 for gels/powders as they're easy to digest but there are others and what works for one rider might not work for another. I know some who make up their own sports drinks, it's not that difficult.

Time to start doing some research into what works for you :)

ps, bananas can be a good fuel also, they contain potassium and a little sodium so this will aid in staving off cramp.
    Lap by lap analysis, videos, photos, race reports and a map of race locations www.xcenduro.co.uk
  • I use the go powders in my drink usually, and also have the go gels everytime I need a boost or to get me up a hill a little easier. We take bananas, flapjack and peanuts out too, so it looks like i'm on the right track.

Thanks a lot for the advice SILancs. My longest/toughest ride so far was the Evans ride it event at Coniston this year. We did the medium route. I'm assuming it may be on a par with this, just a few extra miles?
  • I reccommend coke and water mixed 50% to 50% towards the end of a ride when you start running out of energy.
    Maybe impractical for this event but useful if you can pick up a mixed bottle as you run out of energy.
    Sugar caffeine and water easily digested and not gassy mixed with water.
    This has helped me get home from many along training ride,easily bought in any shop!