Boardman Hybrid v Scott Sub

david_m_thomas
david_m_thomas Posts: 2
edited November 2010 in Commuting general
I'm looking to spend about £500 on a hybrid/fast commuter bike to undertake a 10 mile round trip to work everyday. Currently I'm torn between the Boardman Hybrid Comp and the Scott Sub 35 (2010) - either of which I will need to equip with a pannier rack and mudguards.

I have not ridden a bike with hub gears since my Sturmey Archer 3-speed equipped Raleigh Bomber in the late 1980s (not a nice experience) but I understand they have come a long way and the lack of maintenence attracts me to the Scott! However, I currently prefer the Boardman as better value for money and a nicer looking bike.

Any views?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Either are far better than you need for a 5mile each way commute, I can understand the attraction of hub gears (and yes they are much nicer than the old SA ones, no back peddling, shift when stationary etc) but unless maintenance is going to cause you a problem, personally I'd go with the Boardman.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • i like the boardman it looks luvely