What do you wear in Winter ?

theshrew
theshrew Posts: 169
edited November 2010 in MTB general
Hi guys im a Noob here. My bike has just arrived WOOOOOOOO

I want to get out this weekend so all i need now a Helmet and some clothes.

I have a baselayer, shorts and gloves. What else should i get so i keep warm and hopefully dry over winter ? I need to keep costs down as ive already had to tell the Mrs the bike was half the price i actually paid lol

Could you guys give me some advice please, whats good and whats not.

I

Comments

• Good outer shell to keep out wind and a bit of rain. and a sensible light mid layer.

And i sometimes wear some tights under my shorts in winter for extra warmth.
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    A micro fleece works well for me, either as a top layer or under a waterproof.

Picked up two for £15 at the Trespass store the other day and am pretty happy with them so far.

Tend to be warm enough with knee pads and shorts on year round but my legs don't tend to get cold.

Skull cap for under the helmet and a buff are always good too.
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The only solid piece of advice I can offer is to keep your knees warm. I paid the price for not doing so!
    Be nice to them, and they'll be nice to you.
  • Yeh it's a fair point below a certain temp the fluid in the joints doesn't work so well, so it's worth keeping them nice and toasty.
  • Get thermal socks and use good footwear.
    When going through streams, puddles or water crossings at this time of year, its f**king cold!
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    The only solid piece of advice I can offer is to keep your knees warm. I paid the price for not doing so!
    Be nice to them, and they'll be nice to you.

This. If I'm just riding, I can get away with a pair of 3/4 leggings, but for commuting and treking, I'll wear full tights. I prefer the bib ones as they keep your back warm.

I also wear long sleeved base layer. TK-Max sell skiing ones that are pretty wind proof, although the ones I bought aren't that brilliant at wicking.

Depending upon the weather, I'll either wear a long sleeved roadie type jersey or a wind/water proof jacket.

I also wear a buff under my helmet to keep my brain warm.
  • mkf
    mkf Posts: 242
    i always wear a buffalo jacket, .
    bib tights, waterproof socks and winter riding boot. job done right through winter.
    oh and neoprene gloves
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    All good advice. Layers, layers, layers and more layers for winter.

Keep your head, neck, wrists, ankles and kidneys warm and the rest of you will take care of itself.

Knees are an exception they are pretty much essential for MTBing and need to be kept super-warm and toasty with knee pads or knee warmers.

Plenty of inexpensive kit in TK Maxx etc, just don't go looking for anything specific. If you can mug through this winter without spending loads, in the spring there will be lots of kit for sale. Buy winter gear in spring, lights in summer, short sleeves in January etc.
  • I've been hunting for a pair of 3/4 tights to wear in the winter but I've only managed to find the bib tights.
    Can anyone recommend any normal 3/4 length tights?
  • Mccraque
    Mccraque Posts: 819
    Keep your eye on Lidl. I picked up some padded tights for £12 about 3 weeks back.

My whole winter collection comes from that shop in fact. So impressed with the quality given that it costs SFA. :lol:
  • I really wanted to answer this thread saying my Boxers cos I'm a man lol
  • If you`re not a brand snob dont over look Aldi clothing. Ive been using a pair or their gloves for a couple of winters now for around a fiver. Ive also recently bought a water proof jacket from there for 20 quid. All i will use under this to commute is a tee shirt all through the winter i do blast it though and get fairly hot. Remember, you do get what you pay for in the long run. Buy good shoes though, they will last you years!

Rob
  • Buffalo mountain shirt is expensive but a 1 layer answer to all weather conditions. They are the dogs..................... Had mine 12 years now and paid for itself many times over.

Lycra leggings, shorts and a pair of overshoes.
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    .blitz wrote:
    Knees are an exception they are pretty much essential for MTBing and need to be kept super-warm and toasty with knee pads or knee warmers.

Agreed. Knee warmers are wonderful things. Merino wool socks are a bit expensive, but worth every penny in my book. Not sure if you can still get woollie boolies here...
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • i've also been wondering what best to wear,any of you guys fancy posting picture of what you wear as well as describing it for a total newbie,cheers
  • grim168
    grim168 Posts: 482
    I run flat pedals and was thinking about wearing walking boots through winter.
  • how do you actually post pictures on here?
  • Anonymous
    Layers for warmth and ability to remove layers when you get too hot.

Something water/wind proof for when it's lashing it down, but frankly in Britain this can be at any time of the year, not just winter.

Something to keep the water out of your shoes, or at least not leave you with soggy socks.

That's about it.

Frankly I think people turn up with far too much gear on when it's a little chilly. Yes it's cold when you get out the house, but 10 minutes into the ride you'll be boiling. I wear a thermal baselayer as my main layer and if it's really cold maybe another on top. Then rain jacket if needed but usually that needs to come off as I get too hot. The usual baggy shorts + knee pads. Little need for tights (unless you like that kind of thing ;)). Shins don't feel the cold much, or at least mine don't.

grim168 wrote:
    I run flat pedals and was thinking about wearing walking boots through winter.
    Good luck with that! :D

Well, depends on the boot, but they'd probably be way too inflexible, heavy, bulky and difficult to keep pinned to the pedals. If they're something like a Five Ten Impact kind of shape then maybe. But then Five Tens are a better option anyway as they'll stick to the pedals. Not terribly waterproof though.
  • warm gloves, warm socks, and a windproof top are the key things IMO. bottom half depends on whether you like having knees/shins exposed and/or whether you wear comedy baggy stuff or proper cycling clothing. Endura 3/4s are fine for 90-odd% of UK winter weather IME...
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    deadkenny wrote:
    Frankly I think people turn up with far too much gear on when it's a little chilly. Yes it's cold when you get out the house, but 10 minutes into the ride you'll be boiling.
    Good point. I think that feeling cold for the first 10-15 minutes is about right.
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    today I wish I had listened to the weather report properly and I wish I had realised that 8 degrees was the temp at midday and that this morning it would be more like 1 and as such I wish I had worn full finger gloves
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • Skull cap or buff under the helmet.

Something to keep the neck warm (optional).

Buffalo shirt for torso and arms (meant to be worn next to the skin),

Bib tights over good pair of padded shorts (don't bother with anything that isn't bib. the bib makes sure the lower back is covered and warm, and there's no elastic round the waist to age and stretch and then not fit round the waist.)

Seal skinz socks

Good pair of MTB shoes or winter boots.

This is all the winter kit you'll ever need (assuming you don't rip any of it)
    Trainee BC level 2 coach ... and that's offical (30th June 2013)

Scott Addict R4 (2008)
    Scott Genius MC30 (2006)
    Quest carbon circa 1994 - winter bike
    Fuji Track Comp 2010
  • Anonymous
    Walking boots will be hit and miss. My old Solomon ones had a severe aversion to flat pedals, but my new mammut ones stick like glue.
  • Anonymous
    Tights are for prancing around in only IMO :P
  • Citroen Xsara Picasso..... and a coat.