Fitting a seatpost clamp

ghostyjack
ghostyjack Posts: 3
edited November 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
This may seem like a stupid question but I'd thought I'd get a bit of advise before fitting the clamp.

I'm replacing the quick-release seatpost clamp on my Saracen Zen 1 (09) with an allen-key bolt through due to needing to use the bike for riding to work and don't want the saddle nicked.

My question is: Do I need to line up the break in the clamp with the cut-out slot at the top of the seatpost?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    on some bikes/post combos no. and others if you want to.

generally for carbon posts and or frames the splits should be 180 degrees apart.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    interesting ... just looked in specialized catalogue andthe slots are lined up.

also check my bikes and all but one have the slots lined up, ( a mixture of steel, aluminium and 1 carbon frame and alooy and carbon seat posts), Now I wonder why I did the one differently?

I am not sure is makes a huge difference TBH but my opinion is you get better clamping force if the slots are aligned.

Not had any problems with this arrangement.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you get a more even clamping pressure (better) when they are not aligned. :wink:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown