The evil triangle

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited November 2010 in Commuting chat
Rain

Wind

Cold

I can cope with any two of the three... really I can, but when all three hit one huge lump, I bottle it.

This morning was definitely a nightmare perfect storm scenario. What makes it worse is that the wind this morning was 20mph NE and will shift to 20mph SW by this evening. These are EXACTLY the directions I cycle each day. :evil:

I do feel like a wuss, but as it turns out: the roads were a nightmare anyway. It took me as long to drive in as it does normally to cycle and it would'ev been no quicker on the bike, not without undue risk
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• If you set off NE and then return SE, aren't you eventually going to end up in the North Sea?
  • I have no idea what you're talking about :P
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Wimp :)
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Give me an M
    Give me an T
    Give me an F
    Give me an U

What does that spell? Now go and do it :P
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Rain

Wind

Cold

I can cope with any two of the three... really I can, but when all three hit one huge lump, I bottle it.

This morning was definitely a nightmare perfect storm scenario. What makes it worse is that the wind this morning was 20mph NE and will shift to 20mph SW by this evening. These are EXACTLY the directions I cycle each day. :evil:

I do feel like a wuss, but as it turns out: the roads were a nightmare anyway. It took me as long to drive in as it does normally to cycle and it would'ev been no quicker on the bike, not without undue risk

Oh No..... not good. Even I, further up north across the barren wasteland, although came off yesterday and skidded on my ar5e down the road, while faced with freezing rain and howling gales this morning, along with a louping knee and bum, still managed a leg over and pedal in. Admitidly, was a bit slower, but had a very large dose of MTFU.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    Rain

Wind

Cold

This morning was definitely a nightmare

It's only November. It isn't cold yet.
    Oh sorry ...... I forgot you live in the frozen northlands
  • Cold is fine
    Rain is fine
    Wind can GTF please

Wind on its own is enough to crack me up. I have been cracking up every day since mid march from memory
  • I was dreading last night's journey home in a strong headwind and rain, but it wasn't so bad. A little bit slow, but I was just concentrating on getting home.

However, Thursday's forecast is heavy rain all day and a 34mph wind. I have every intention of going on the bus.
    Summer: 2012 Trek Madone 3.5
    Winter: 2013 Trek Crockett 5
  • Snow on Snake Pass yesterday... and it was showing 4 degrees this morning. It is cold.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Nifer
    Nifer Posts: 102
    It was my windiest commute this morning - luckily I came to work later and there was less traffic, but I thought I was going to be buffeted off at one point!
  • I'm expecting 40 mph gusts on a headwind, hail and massively wet roads. Ain't no thing.

ETA: It's dropping down to 1 degree tonight. Might wear a LS jersey tomorrow.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Went home for lunch as normal today. Thighs like Bane's when I got home (thrub thrub pulse pulse). Fifteen minute lunch and head back to the office, set a PB.

I am NOT looking forwards to the run home this evening, 'specially if the threatened rain decides to join in the party.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    tonight I'm expecting warp speed induced tailwindery.... yes
    wear more clothes reducing the cold issue waterproofs will help this too

Wind is the thing that really hurts me
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Nifer
    I also wore my new winter gloves for the first time today - I felt like Bruce Grobelaar
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    Nifer wrote:
    I also wore my new winter gloves for the first time today - I felt like Bruce Grobelaar

'bung'ed up? :lol:
    Hat + Beard
  • Clarion
    Clarion Posts: 223
    Rain & cold are OK. Wind is a hill you don't get to the top of.

I'm glad my commute is pretty much flat. I wouldn't want to be climbing in this kind of weather.

Mind you, if the forecast is correct, I should have a tailwind home tonight. I certainly worked for it this morning!
    Riding on 531
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Rain

Wind

Cold

Oh No..... not good. Even I, further up north across the barren wasteland, although came off yesterday and skidded on my ar5e down the road, while faced with freezing rain and howling gales this morning, along with a louping knee and bum, still managed a leg over and pedal in. Admitidly, was a bit slower, but had a very large dose of MTFU.

Chapeau sir - you are an example to us all
  • Nifer
    hatbeard wrote:
    Nifer wrote:

'bung'ed up? :lol:

Ha ha!

124856.jpg
  • Wasn't a lot of fun and was cycling to Bury. home if the arrogant motorised cretin and both ways in full rush hour. PITA day but still better than being in a car. Was heartening to see so many cycling on my training course. 3/12 of us.
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Snow on Snake Pass yesterday... and it was showing 4 degrees this morning. It is cold.

Saw snow from my bedroom window yesterday.

Luverly peak district.

windproof trousers are good