Chainrings wobble

Lancslad
Lancslad Posts: 307
edited November 2010 in The workshop
I noticed whilst on the turbo that there appears to be a fair bit of wobble from the chainrings and i wondered if this is normal? that coupled with a creak that seems to come from the same area has me worried about commuting on it atm. The bike is ony two months or so old and hasnt done over 500 miles yet.

I thought the creak might be the BB but i'm not sure yet and wondered if this was tied in with the wobble somehow.

Edit: I should probably have pointed out that it is a Specialized tricross.
Novice runner & novice cyclist
Specialized Tricross
Orbea (Enol I think)

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Its one of
    Chainrings bent
    BB bent
    Cranks loose on BB

The last is the easiest and cheapest to fix (and will create a creak) so I'd go with the first!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Lancslad
    Thanks I'll see what I can tighten. Chainrings cant be bent I havent come off it and I treat it gently I'm guessing a bent BB would come under warranty? If I cant fettle it by tightening something up i'll take it to be fixed and serviced at the same time.
    Specialized Tricross
    Orbea (Enol I think)
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Is the chainset loose? My RaceFace chainset sometimes works itself loose, so it wobbles.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Lancslad
    Well i checked all the allen bolts and they seemed to be tight I popped the cap off realised I needed a socket that I didnt have (thought it would be an allen bolt!)and put the cap back on. I'm taking both bikes in for a first service at the end of the week and the shop can sort it. So thats me in the car till sometime next week as I cant use my other bike for the commute as my collar bone isnt completely healed yet so I cant use a rucksack.
    Specialized Tricross
    Orbea (Enol I think)
  • cjcp
    Lancslad wrote:
    Well i checked all the allen bolts and they seemed to be tight I popped the cap off realised I needed a socket that I didnt have (thought it would be an allen bolt!)and put the cap back on. I'm taking both bikes in for a first service at the end of the week and the shop can sort it. So thats me in the car till sometime next week as I cant use my other bike for the commute as my collar bone isnt completely healed yet so I cant use a rucksack.

You using Shimano (Hollow Tech)? If so, would be worth buying this from the LBS: http://www.parker-international.co.uk/3 ... -Tool.html

It's easy to use. Even I can! :)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Is it not just normal deflection of the crank and frame when you put the power on out of the saddle ? Or can you wobble it by hand ?
  • Lancslad
    No I couldnt wobble it be hand, I've never noticed this 'wobble' on a bike before. Its in the workshop atm and when I mentioned the creak He said it probably needed greasing. Wont find out till tomorrow for sure. I wouldnt have expected It to need grease yet its only done 300ish miles, been in the rain once and I hadnt washed it till I needed to take it into the shop.

No idea what hollow tech is, Ive asked santa for the Zinn book to get me started I do no some stuff like adjusting brakes gears etc but not the more technical milarky.
    Specialized Tricross
    Orbea (Enol I think)
  • cjcp
    Lancslad wrote:
    No idea what hollow tech is, Ive asked santa for the Zinn book to get me started I do no some stuff like adjusting brakes gears etc but not the more technical milarky.

Which groupset do you have your bike?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Lancslad
    cjcp wrote:
    Lancslad wrote:

Which groupset do you have your bike?

One of the cheap ones I expect. Its a specialized tricross (the mat black one)

ok I looked it up its shimano 2300
    http://www.buyabikedeals.co.uk/store/on ... -2010.html
    Specialized Tricross
    Orbea (Enol I think)