Kimmage Interview

ratsbeyfus
ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
edited November 2010 in Pro race

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey

Comments

• epc06
    epc06 Posts: 216
    I must admit, years ago (pre operation puerto) he used to irritate me. Every year on the eve of the TDF he'd have a 2 page spread in the sunday times, with barely a line about the race in prospect, only a long rant about drugs.
    I wonder if he gets satisfaction these days whenever a big name is caught, as if to say 'i told you so'??
  • ratsbeyfus
    I imagine there is a sense of satisfaction and exasperation. After his very public spat with LA though, I'm sure the former will outweigh the latter if / when LAs publicly exposed.

@ratsbey
  • Its always a tough one to comment on really as I love my cycling and grew up as a child watching the men doing wonderful things on their bikes.

Some people do not like Paul for his views but I have to say after reading his book he does have a point & he is right. The UCI are running the show and whether you think they are doing a good job or not. To outsiders who don't follow cycling they simply think that everyone is taking drugs to some extent whether they are or are not and there in list the problem. Its peoples impression of the UCI and they way they handle doping and dealing with ASO for the Tour or the national body.

Personally I think he is a bit "happy" that at long last people are waking up to find out that more and more top riders are taking drugs and it leaves the UCI with egg on their face. But I think deep down he is happy that the sport, his sport is being cleaned up as thats what I want to see.

Do a quick google search and figure out which of the last 10 years TDF winners have since been banned for taking drugs? Then try and find another sport that has such a bad track record for doping and also for the authorities not clamping down on it.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • I read his first book back when he wrote it .. and since then, it seems to me he is obsessed with trying to prove that everyone that does what he couldn't, only could by cheating. A bit tedious now ....
    .. who said that, internet forum people ?
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    He's been saying the same thing for a long time but essentially it's been a useful commentary. My only worry is that he makes it a bit personal but given his past, you can understand why.
  • ratsbeyfus
    The problem I have with him is that he expects current clean cyclists to name and shame known dopers, but wasn't prepared to do this in his own book, or when asked to do so following its publication. Still, he definitely deserves a yellow jersey in the 'nuisance category'.

@ratsbey
  • epc06
    epc06 Posts: 216
    ratsbeyfus wrote:
    The problem I have with him is that he expects current clean cyclists to name and shame known dopers, but wasn't prepared to do this in his own book, or when asked to do so following its publication. Still, he definitely deserves a yellow jersey in the 'nuisance category'.

yeah thats a good point