Commuting along a dual carrigeway??

Marcus_C
Marcus_C Posts: 183
edited November 2010 in Commuting general
I've got a job!! Wahay!!!

Anyway I live in Sheffield and the Job is in Chesterfield, what I imagine could be a nice commute of about 12 miles, the only problem is the best way looking at google maps is straight down the A61 (a dual carrigeway). Does anyone commute either on this road or on a dual carrigeway. Is it a dangerously scary road or should I just MTFU and not bother about any lorries :? i am a fairly competant cyclist and have commuted by bike before just never down quite such a (I imagine) busy road.

Any and all advice is gratefully recieved, Marcus
- Genesis Equilibrium Athena
- Cannondale CAADX Force/105/Rival

Comments

• benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    Congratulations on getting a job.

I ride down a dual carriageway every now and then without any problems. However, no two roads are the same and I have no knowledge of the A61 I'm afraid.

The best piece of advice I can give is that if you are in any doubt over your safety on this stretch of road, find a suitable alternative route.

If you can, take a look at the traffic situation at rush hour before you start commuting by bike which may help you decide!

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • Cj83
    Cj83 Posts: 58
    edited November 2010
    don't know that paricular area but for me i prefer to commute on a longer but more calm route. I just find it less stressful than having cars flying past me. Its not so much busy roads that make me worry and stop me relaxing on the commute - its fast ones where you know 1 mistake up by a driver and it could be game over. inevitable human error on a slower road and the consequences might not be so severe.

oh and congrats on the job, i was out of work for a while and know the relief to finally get working again!
  • Hi
    As a fellow Sheffielder I've never cycled the A61 but my commute includes the Bochum Parkway and I get on fine with it. I have 2 good quality lights on the back, 1 flashing, 1 steady, a hump hi-viz rucksack cover, reflective ankle bands and bright clothing to make sure I have the best chance of been seen. Most cars give me plenty of room, just the odd one that gets too close and I try not to get too wound up about it! I would say the majority of lorries give enough room, often moving into the outside lane to pass.
    Is it possible to take a route through Dronfield and Unstone to avoid the Dronfield bypass at first until you build confidence. I was wary at first and took detours to avoid the busiest bits but eventually thought stuff this I'm going the fastest way!
    I think you're right to be wary and a bit cautious but just give it a go and I'm sure you'll love it. It's the best thing I ever did, I've never been fitter or lighter!
    btw, out of interest what bike will you be using?
  • Marcus_C
    Thanks for the responses guys, all good advice well recieved. I have tried looking up alternative routes and the road through dronfield does miss out a lot of the dual carrigeway (there's probably about 8 miles of it otherwise). I will probably try to take a bit of a tour of the area in a car and find the lie of the land as I don't know it at all.

As for the bike I have a Bianchi D2 tiagra cross bike, I imagine a proper road bike would be better over that distance but it is quite fast and light and I like riding it. I have a hack as well but that's pretty much had it.

As you say CJ, it's the 70mph of the road that slightly worries me, it's not one of these 40mph ones through a town.

Thanks again guys, i'm sure before long i'll have worked out a good routine and be racking up the miles everyday.
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    I must admit, knowing the road as a driver I'd never even consider cycling along down that section of the A61 other than very early on a summer's morning (basically when there was nothing else on it!).

I think to ride down it on a dark, wet and windy winter's morning or night (such as those we've had this week) would be akin to attempting suicide!

I'd recommend the B road (through Dronfield?) which, I think, has the advantage of being lit all the way between Chesterfield and Sheffield.

Bob
  • Marcus_C
    Thanks bob, I have been looking up other routes as you suggest, at least for when it's dark and raining. Does this route look reasonable? It misses out all but about a mile of the dual-carrigeway and isn't too long. The final mile seems to be a lot harder to avoid. I did find a dedicated cycle route from sheffield to chesterfield but it would make my commute in an over 40 mile a day round trip.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?rlz=1C1AV ... =en&tab=wl

Edit: It hasn't put any of my alterations in but i have it as leaving the A61 for the B6057 at the roundabout about a mile south of the meadowhead roundabout. From Unstone taking unstone road into Chesterfield rather than following the B6057. If that makes any sense?

Another edit: There appears to be a path/cycleroute under boccham parkway which could be very useful...
  • IMO the best online tool for finding "out of the way" routes:

http://www.cyclestreets.net/
  • Marcus_C
    snailracer wrote:
    IMO the best online tool for finding "out of the way" routes:

http://www.cyclestreets.net/

Bookmarked, thanks for that link. It even shows elevation :shock:
  • deffler
    deffler Posts: 829
    I occasionally commute down a dual carriageway (a19 sunderland), on a windy day its an absolutee no-no as I have to cross a bridge which has a ridiculous crosswind thats scary in a car let alone on bike.

I use this route mostly on a Saturday morning when traffic is quieter or if im starting extra early say 6-7am during the week. If im on a 8am start its just to busy & dangerous
    Boardman Hybrid Pro

Planet X XLS
  • Marcus_C
    From the link snailracer posted I think I can avoid the dual carriageway now and have a nice 12 mile commute planned out. Other than a more or less continuous climb of 7 miles on the way home it should be fairly easy. I'll go for a bit of a scout around at the weekend (maybe even by bike) and it's business on Monday. Now all I have to do is hope there are a few nice days to get me started (yeah, that's really not going to happen i know).

Thanks for the words of wisdom folks!
  • Marcus_C wrote:
    Thanks bob, I have been looking up other routes as you suggest, at least for when it's dark and raining. Does this route look reasonable? It misses out all but about a mile of the dual-carrigeway and isn't too long. The final mile seems to be a lot harder to avoid. I did find a dedicated cycle route from sheffield to chesterfield but it would make my commute in an over 40 mile a day round trip.

Edit: It hasn't put any of my alterations in but i have it as leaving the A61 for the B6057 at the roundabout about a mile south of the meadowhead roundabout. From Unstone taking unstone road into Chesterfield rather than following the B6057. If that makes any sense?

Another edit: There appears to be a path/cycleroute under boccham parkway which could be very useful...

I've seen cyclists on the A61, and as much as I would LOVE to try the downhill stretch into Chesterfield :twisted: there's no way I'd risk that stretch of road in either direction.

The suggested route looks fine to me, but I'd be wary of the A61 / A6012 roundabout. That is a cow.

(I have a mate who lives in Beauchief which is why I know where you're talking about)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    edited November 2010
    I wouldn't cycle on the A61 once you get to the dronfield by pass, so the dronfield/unstone route is the one.....

Where abouts does your journey actually start from?
    edit: just seen your map.

Although the A61 down to the start if the dronfield bypass isn't too bad, maybe you could slighty lengthen your journey, and come over graves park and pass it to the east,. then take the jordanthorpe parkway, and carry on that way to the dronfield bypass roundabout...(don't go down through coal aston - the b6158 is a narrow dark road)
  • meh, A61 should be fine as long as you're not a numpty. Used to ride it loads from Stocksbridge down into the city centre.
    Now the Autobahns in Germany...they are a wee bit scary on a bike. Probably fairly illegal too, but I just claimed I'd gone the wrong way.
  • PBo
    meh, A61 should be fine as long as you're not a numpty. Used to ride it loads from Stocksbridge down into the city centre.
    Now the Autobahns in Germany...they are a wee bit scary on a bike. Probably fairly illegal too, but I just claimed I'd gone the wrong way.

The a61 down to chesterfierld - in my experience - is worse than the A61 leaving Sheffield to the north, seems to be more lorries. Is the A61/A629 to stocksbridge even dual carriageway? still - single carriageway but 60mph can be hairy too.....
  • Marcus_C
    meh, A61 should be fine as long as you're not a numpty. Used to ride it loads from Stocksbridge down into the city centre.

That bit of the a61 has been fine when i've ridden on it. There may be only 10 more mph on dual carriageways but cars don't expect to see cyclists. Anyway I can leave the a61 north of meadowhead and go under boccham parkway now so it's fine. maybe when it's a nice warm dead calm of a day out of rush hour i'll give it a blast all the way down to chesterfield.
  • Used to work at the bottom of the hill of the A61 Dronfield bypass - definitely use an alternative. Looks like you have found the alternative through Dronfield / Unstone whic unfortunately cann be busy (its still an A road) and busy with commuters - there are also some back lanes around there and some good bridleways if you really fancy an off road option to avoid the dc
    Bakewell Toybox
    Bakewell
    Derbyshire

www.welovetoys.co.uk
  • The back lane routes I mentioned are Dronfield Woodhouse / Barlow or the other side of the bypass Apperknowle and into the back of Whittington. Hope this helps.
    Bakewell Toybox
    Bakewell
    Derbyshire

www.welovetoys.co.uk
  • Woolfie wrote:
    Used to work at the bottom of the hill of the A61 Dronfield bypass - definitely use an alternative. Looks like you have found the alternative through Dronfield / Unstone whic unfortunately cann be busy (its still an A road) and busy with commuters - there are also some back lanes around there and some good bridleways if you really fancy an off road option to avoid the dc
    Erm I thought bridleways were not for cyclists to use? :roll:
    FCN 7

FCN 4

if you use irrational measures to measure me, expect me to behave irrationally to measure up
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    chunkytfg wrote:
    Woolfie wrote:
    Used to work at the bottom of the hill of the A61 Dronfield bypass - definitely use an alternative. Looks like you have found the alternative through Dronfield / Unstone whic unfortunately cann be busy (its still an A road) and busy with commuters - there are also some back lanes around there and some good bridleways if you really fancy an off road option to avoid the dc
    Erm I thought bridleways were not for cyclists to use? :roll:
    Bridleways are for cyclists, footpaths aren't.
  • Fair enough but just watch out for horses.

As an owner of two very placid horses I can assure you bicycles offer far more to be scarred about that even the biggest of trucks or farm machinery especially if you approach from behind
    FCN 7

FCN 4

if you use irrational measures to measure me, expect me to behave irrationally to measure up
  • PBo
    when it hits summer, and you want to turn the commute into a longer fun ride, given you've got a cross-bike, you could go via the TPT/chesterfield canal.
  • Marcus_C
    PBo wrote:
    when it hits summer, and you want to turn the commute into a longer fun ride, given you've got a cross-bike, you could go via the TPT/chesterfield canal.

Yeah, I found that, it's the first hit on google when you type in "sheffield to chesterfield". It's too long for a regular commute but could be nice in the Summer.
  • I have recently changed the route that I take home from work now that it is dark - the biggest consideration that I hadn't thought about before was road surface - i.e the amount of potholes :(. I have some fairly good lights but the route I was taking was so bad it seriously made me consider whether it was safe to ride at night. I have now found a slightly longer route but the road is a lot smoother, another route I ruled out was better light but a lot busier and I think cars may have had trouble passing me on it. I have just accepted that riding in the winter my commute is going to take a llonger and warmth/safety is more important than speed.
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    Marcus_C wrote:

I think others have covered any comment I'd make since I last posted here. I have just one more thought and that is the A61 into Sheffield is 40mph at most and has, from memory, cycle lanes/shared footways so it's not too scary.

As I mentioned though, I've only ever driven that route it as a rat-run when the M1's FUBAR.

Bob
  • Marcus_C
    This is shaping up to be a very nice commute actually. I left rather more time than I needed on monday just to make sure I was going in the right direction and i've had two good days (albeit quite cold ones) to start off with. It's not a route I recommend to a novice, or someone who has never been overtaken by a truck on a road that's too narrow for it to be comfortable. One thing though, it's downhill all the way there, or feels like it, fine in the mornings which has made me start earlier but in the rain it could be annoying at times on the way back.

Nice to be back on the bike though, i'd forgotten how good it is.

Oh, and anyone who's breezed passed me in the last two days, beware, the game of which we do not speak will start as soon as I stop getting lost whilst following you....