Who owns a ribble Audax/winter training bike?

Tonymufc
Tonymufc Posts: 1,016
edited November 2010 in Commuting chat
As above post asks. Hopefully one of these will be my next purchase on the cyclescheme. Just looking for some feed back. Cheers Tony.

Comments

• mr_ribble
    mr_ribble Posts: 1,068
    I do I do! The best thing about them is the massive range of colours. I think the piant was supplied by Mr Ford

I picked up the frame in the sale, and built it myself. Frame and forks came in under £150. Not the lightest bike you will every ride, handling ising amazing either. But after a while I forget about it and only realise it when I have spent a bit of time on the carbon steed.

But its very well built, and for the purpose of commuting I personally think its ideal. I cycled into one of those flimsy traffic island cones once and it just flattened it. No damage to me or the bike.
  • I saw one t'other day. Looked very blue! I have no further input, sorry...

Was pwitty though.

:D
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I've got the non winter, 7005 horizontal framed Ribble which is the same price as the audax/winter frame but has a shorter wheelbase and no eyes for mudguards and panniers. It's been brilliant as a commuting bike, good value with hand built Pro Lite rims, carbon forks and full Tiagra groupset. None of the major manufacturers could touch it on price.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • welkman
    welkman Posts: 396
    I tried to buy one about three weeks ago but they have a long wait on frames at the moment. I got a kona Jake from ebay and whacked some conti gator skins on it and my brooks and am very pleased with the results, plus it came in at less than a half the price of the ribble. One guy I saw on my commute had one and said he highly reccomended it.

welky
  • Headhuunter
    welkman wrote:
    I tried to buy one about three weeks ago but they have a long wait on frames at the moment. I got a kona Jake from ebay and whacked some conti gator skins on it and my brooks and am very pleased with the results, plus it came in at less than a half the price of the ribble. One guy I saw on my commute had one and said he highly reccomended it.

welky

Yeah it took 4-5 weeks for mine to be delivered. I think there's high demand for them as they are pretty much the best value road bikes on the market at that price point... Trek, Specialized et al can't touch them. Of course 2nd hand is a different route to take...
  • El Diego
    El Diego Posts: 440
    I had one until it got pinched from Cross Street.

Cracking commuter, very versatile and excellent spec for the price.
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    I have one, but converted to single speed. Best thing about it is that it's now not very nickable, as all the stickers have been removed and reflective ones added so it doesn't look up to much.

It was great through summer, running with 25c tyres and Crud Roadracers (although it had mudguard eyes it would only take proper guards with 23c tyres).

Now it's a bit wet and slippy, I would prefer my old Tricross for commuting, which had 28c tyres and full guards. The Tricross would just plough over potholes, I have to be really careful on the Ribble as the front end is a bit twitchier.

In general though a pretty good option, and at under £600 new great value. Watch out for the new cyclescheme valuations though!
  • Tonymufc
    Canny Jock wrote:
    I have one, but converted to single speed. Best thing about it is that it's now not very nickable, as all the stickers have been removed and reflective ones added so it doesn't look up to much.

It was great through summer, running with 25c tyres and Crud Roadracers (although it had mudguard eyes it would only take proper guards with 23c tyres).

Now it's a bit wet and slippy, I would prefer my old Tricross for commuting, which had 28c tyres and full guards. The Tricross would just plough over potholes, I have to be really careful on the Ribble as the front end is a bit twitchier.

In general though a pretty good option, and at under £600 new great value. Watch out for the new cyclescheme valuations though!

Are you refering to the new FMV payment?
  • Tonymufc
    I've actually got my eye on this http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/bikebuild ... BRA&bike=1. Looks the dogs not sure how it rides though.
  • Headhuunter
    Tonymufc wrote:
    I've actually got my eye on this http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/bikebuild ... BRA&bike=1. Looks the dogs not sure how it rides though.

You're up north anyway, just nip in and go for a test ride! I'm down in London, I had to order and hope for the best...
  • Tonymufc
    Tonymufc wrote:

You're up north anyway, just nip in and go for a test ride! I'm down in London, I had to order and hope for the best...

Was it the Audax frame that you bought?
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    Tonymufc wrote:
    Canny Jock wrote:

Are you refering to the new FMV payment?

Yes, I don't know the details, just that there are other posts referring to the final payment being a lot higher than the 5% commonly used previously.
  • Headhuunter
    Tonymufc wrote:
    Tonymufc wrote:

Was it the Audax frame that you bought?

No the 7005 horizontal frame. Same-ish frame without mudguard and pannier eyes and a shorter wheelbase