'Repair Stand Assistant' GCSE RM Project

tomlaa
tomlaa Posts: 4
edited November 2010 in MTB general
Hey guys, for my major GCSE RM project, im making a kind of assistant to a repair stand.
It will do things that ordinary repair stands can do, such as hold tools and make them easily accessible, but what makes it different is that it would have an extendable arm to assist with solo repair jobs. An example of that would be, when changing the stem, holding the forks in whilst the repairer tightens up the Allen bolts, thus making a potentially bloody annoying job (if you drop the forks, the headset and bearings can all come out over the floor) a doddle.

I just wondered if 1) you knew of any products similar to mine; and 2) If I am aiming at a fairly amateur market, what materials would you recommend that I use to make the main frame of it (It would be a tubular one, rather like Park Tool's home mechanic repair stands)

Ta very much, Tom :D

Comments

• Good luck with the project... I'm no expert on service tools, so can't help with your first question, but as for the second part I'd look at mild steel to make it from. Why? Its cheap and for most folks mild steel is plenty good enough. Maybe aluminium would be lighter, but I doubt it'd really make much difference and would be far more expensive.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Bacon is always good.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Neily03
    Neily03 Posts: 295
    tomlaa wrote:
    An example of that would be, when changing the stem, holding the forks in whilst the repairer tightens up the Allen bolts, thus making a potentially bloody annoying job (if you drop the forks, the headset and bearings can all come out over the floor) a doddle.

If you leave the bike on the ground then changing a stem solo is a doodle. No risk of the forks dropping out then, or if you really want to do it in a workstand just lower the stand so the front wheel touches the ground. Easy. :lol:
  • ploppy
    ploppy Posts: 173
    i can see a potential market for this item, i personally wouldnt mind something like this, however, i'd want this to be more versatile than just holding forks which to me sounds like you are focusing to much on that. from my personal experience in doing projects for gcse, a-level, btec and degree, it is always good not to focus in too much on one idea, you will get marks for researching in many areas relavent to the product/system. im not sure how many projects you have undertaken, but you will find that if you do it right, you will develop a few ideas until they do not seem feasable any more and then one sticks out and feels right.
    well done for putting a vote up on the website though, it's an excellent idea for market research, i wish i had doen that when i was doing my gcse's.
    as for materials, mild steel is often used, as said before, it's cheap and excess weight is more of a positive than negative in this given instance. you will also find it easier to weld than aluminium.
    all the best for the project mate, if you need any advice or assistance just send me a pm.
    go flat out or fall out!
  • ploppy
    ploppy Posts: 173
    Neily03 wrote:
    tomlaa wrote:
    An example of that would be, when changing the stem, holding the forks in whilst the repairer tightens up the Allen bolts, thus making a potentially bloody annoying job (if you drop the forks, the headset and bearings can all come out over the floor) a doddle.

If you leave the bike on the ground then changing a stem solo is a doodle. No risk of the forks dropping out then, or if you really want to do it in a workstand just lower the stand so the front wheel touches the ground. Easy. :lol:

i suggest you vote no then rather then just shoot him down, you spelt doddle wrong by the way.
    go flat out or fall out!
  • Neily03
    Neily03 Posts: 295
    ploppy wrote:
    Neily03 wrote:
    tomlaa wrote:

i suggest you vote no then rather then just shoot him down, you spelt doddle wrong by the way.

I have voted no and I haven't spelt doddle wrong, I've spelt doodle correctly.
  • Andy!
    Andy! Posts: 433
    edited November 2010
    I can see it being a great help, a bit like these things when doing electronics:

APOWERLARGE31324_hh.jpg

opt-7890000.jpg

a few things I would say:

1. make it so it can be attached to as many different work stands as possible. Thinking back to my days of GCSE they like you to do your research on what is out there (a bit like doing your literature when you do a phd). so get lots of pics of current work stands and look at how your device can be attached.

2. think about things that need to be held - how heavy are they - do the arms need locking. how are you going to hold them - velco strap might work well and be lightweight and not damage paint but some items may need clamps.

also take a look in your science labs at retort stand clamps. Very useful items and you could use some of them along with you making the arms and methods to attach to the stand - no shame in using an off the shelf clamp if your teacher allows you. The rod can be detached leaving you with a nice cork padded clamp that will hold anything on a bike firmly.

1533_2.jpg

1531_3.jpg
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    ploppy wrote:

Why? I'm getting fed up with surveys, especially when they are someone's first post.
    I don't answer them in the street, or by phone, why here?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    I don't answer them in the street, or by phone, why here?
    You've already answered it twice!

In answer to the OP, I like this sort of thing, I'm always improvising ways of performing tasks solo as I live on my own.
    Northwind wrote: It's like I covered it in superglue and rode it through ebay.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Obviously depending on how well you execute the idea, I think it would be a useful and should be a decent sized market for it.

although for me it would be one of those "nice to have" things rather then those "must need" as said earlier in the thread there are ways to get around the problem of only having 2 arms.
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    I can't actually see a market for this product, there is already something out there that helps me when i change the stem height or the stem it's self.

pdge-sin-strap-grp.jpg
  • huge thanks guys, all this feedback has been really helpful :)
  • Andy!
    Andy! Posts: 433
    Well when do we get our free ones to try? :D
  • whenever my bloody materials come ;)
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Actually compared to many of the I've had an idea for a project I think you may have come up with an idea that isn't readily available so well done. I could see it being useful for holding bars out the way when you've taken the forks off (I hate them clanging around the frame zip tied out the way. Also consider a little dish to hold parts in (I know you can already get these but having one at the end of a moveable arm would put the bits right next to where you're working). This couls also double as something to catch bits as you dis-assemble them. Another thought would be something to catch brake fluid from a caliper when bleeding, could you have an attachment to help true a wheel whilst the bike is on the stand?

Many of these can already be achieved with zip ties and a bit of bodging but I think you have a genuinely good idea, might not be commercial but a good concept. If you think about it you can install headset cups with a hammer and plank or some washers and threaded bars but people are still prepared to pay a lot for a proper tool for inserting these despite the costs so ignore those who say they can already have a cheap bodge solution.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • neiltb
    neiltb Posts: 332
    if it makes a cuppa, you have a winner and the aprentice system is dead.
    FCN 12