Another Anthem! - upgrades galore

theuncharmed
theuncharmed Posts: 97
edited November 2010 in Your mountain bikes
I've actually had this Anthem since the end of August, but only just thought to share it with the world.

xCNSm.jpg

Full size pic here: http://i.imgur.com/F5L9c.jpg

It's probably easier to list what hasn't changed on the bike than what has:

* Frame
* Rear shock
* Brakes
* Rear wheel although soon to change!

Everything else has been upgraded :shock:

There's a few upgrades still to come. E13 XCX chain guide [although I don't really need it]. A middleburn 36t chainring and some alloy chain ring bolts and then a set of Chris King wheels on 717's should complete the bike! :D

She rides beautifully and although stuck with a lowly 32t chain ring at the front for the moment she's still fast and very stable.

Comments

• Eyon
    Eyon Posts: 623
    looks great!

What forks are you now running and whats the reason for single chain ring?

They're Fox F120 15mm - gone from a Fox Talas 36 20mm to a 9mm and it was too much. Had to get some stiffness back in the wheels.

The single ring was just because I didn't use the big or small. I'm on XT 10spd and the range is more than enough. At the moment the 32t is fine for ambling around on and general trails [in muddy conditions anyway]. A 36t, maybe 38t will do me good for the summer. Also it saves a bag of weight too and sheds the mud much easier to boot.
  • Is there much difference running the f120 over the stock fork?
  • There's a big difference.

Far more solid and planted feel to the front end. A little easier on the downs and harder on the ups, but the solid feel and security more than make up for it. Also the stock fork had a massive steerer, so this is a lot lower so better for cornering and climbing too.
  • Ordering a new Chris King rear wheel from CRC today. Just waiting on confirmation they can build me a 36 hole version [found out I'm 87kg!?].

Think silver hubs and black everything else will look super trick.

I've got a Hope 15mm on the front which is doing a fine job, but the rear Deore isn't so great on the take up or as a long term option. Had it 3 months and I suspect it may require some TLC already, or at least I hope it's the hub and not the CK BB or frame bushings!
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I wouldn't worry about 36h myself, I wouldn't get King hubs, and I certainly wouldn't get 717s, Stans all the way. I'd get DT240s on Crests for my money.

Looks good though.

They don't have 32 in stock at the moment and 36 will satisfy my blood-lust for bike parts :)

As for the 717 - why not a good choice? I have one on the front and it's been perfect. Also always used Mavic too and again never really had problems.

And then no to King hubs?

I was thinking about American Classic hubs on ZTR Alpine rims, but it's the worry of strength against an unknown brand.
  • njee20
    AM Classic and NoTubes aren't exactly unknown brands!

AMC hubs have small bearings, and aren't known for their longevity, the large flanges do build a nice stiff wheel though.

Mavic just haven't updated their rims in forever, the XC717 is basically the X317 which hasn't changed in 15 years or so. The ZTR Crest is wider, stiffer, tougher, and far lighter. There's nothing wrong with Mavic, but NoTubes surpass them in every way possible IMO.

King hubs are heavy, have tonnes of bearing drag, are expensive and need a fair bit of fettling to keep them working perfectly. Compare to DT240s which are better in every respect.

IMO and YMMV of course.
  • Sorry I was referring to my own experience with the brands.

I'll take a look at the Crest then.

As for the Kings, I've heard of bearing issues with trying to maintain the best possible function from them, but then I also like to fettle ... and also I've always wanted a set too.

I'll have a further read on the 240s as well.

Appreciate the feedback and views.
  • njee20
    If you're light then the ZTR Alpine is 10g lighter and the same profile, so there's not a huge difference frankly, even the Crest is about 65g lighter than the 717.

King hubs are beautifully finished. That's where I'd stop. I was really disappointed with mine.
  • I looked at an Alpine build and I've found that I'm 10kg over the weight limit!

The crest is looking like a good choice. Shocked to see the price though. Big difference on a Mavic, but then you pays your money ...

I might give it a go. Worst I can do is sell it on if I'm not happy.
  • njee20
    You'll be fine, there are plenty of folk heavier than you on Stan's rims. I wasn't aware of a formal weight limit anyway, IIRC Hope place a nominal 85kg limit on their wheels with Stan's rims.

They are fairly pricey, but well worth it IMO.