PBP Qualifiers

vorsprung
vorsprung Posts: 1,953
To enter Paris-Brest-Paris 1200km on the 21st to 25th of August, the long distance cyclist first has to get a "Super Randonneur" award. To get this you have to complete a 200,300,400 and 600km event by particular dates.

Here's the PBP Qualifiers I am aiming to enter for next year to get the Super Randonneur series

200 06 Mar Exeter Mad March Coasts and Quantocks
300 09 Apr Wolverley, N of Kidderminster The Elenith
600 14 May Chepstow Bryan Chapman Memorial (Classic)
400 21 May Upton Magna, E of Shrewsbury The Irish Mail
600 11 Jun Alltwen, Pontardawe Marches and Mersey Roads

I have an extra 600 as a spare, as longer rides can substitute for shorter ones

The "Mad March Coasts and Quantocks" is local to me, I've ridden it a couple of times. It actually goes past my house and I often stop for a cup of tea.

"The Elenith" is a wonderful ride from Kidderminister to the Elan Valley and back. It's fairly popular for an audax

"Bryan Chapman Memorial (Classic)" is the most popular 600 in the audax calendar. It goes from Chepstow to the Menai Bridge and back, with a night / sleep stop at the Kings YHA near Dolgellau

"The Irish Mail" I've only done once before, it goes from Shrewsbury to Holyhead. The way out is via some tough but scenic roads including a passage over Bwlch y Groes The return trip is mostly on the gently graded A4. This road was originally built for horse drawn carridges taking the mail to and from Ireland, so it's ideal for bicycles

"Marches and Mersey Roads" is from South Wales to Cheshire by following the river Wye and river Severn. It's a fairly easy or fast ride.

Anyone else decided on their PBP SR list?

Comments

• Your season looks very front loaded, you'll have done 55% of your distance 3.3 months before your event. What's the PBP close date for the ultimate mileage?

I know they take loads of UK audaxers but have you considered anything in France (short hop from Plymouth across to Roscoff/St Malo/Cherbourg) to really seal the deal with the organziers?

Best of luck with that. Would love to do some of the dates but they're all so early...
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    FransJacques,
    The dates for completing the distances are something like

200km Feb 26th - April 24th
    300km April 9th - May 22nd
    400km April 23rd - June 4th
    600km May 14th - June 26th

So there is a gap of a few months between doing the qualifiers and the event

See http://www.paris-brest-paris.org/pbp201 ... TTE-GB.pdf for all the details on entry dates etc etc

The french events... see http://www.ffct.org/index.php?id=9 I haven't considered doing any of these but people who live nearer a convenient port are