My real life Rock Shox Reverb seatpost review

2»

Comments

• I just wanted share how much I love my new Reverb seatpost. It's improved my riding experience the same amount as when I switched from cantilever brakes to disc or when I got my first front shock. Being able to shift your center of gravity is extremely useful. I used to put my body behind my seat on steep terrain. On downhills of significant length I'd drop my seat a few inches. Now I just press the lever on my handle-bar and my seat drops to whatever distance I want. Having infinite adjustments within the 125mm of travel is huge. I switch my seat height almost as much as I shift my front derailleur. When climbing, I extend the seat to the max giving me 100% leg extension which gives me a little more power like you would have riding on a flat road. I then lower the seat as needed on the climb to maintain balance.

For purists who think it's not necessary or takes the skill of shifting your weight away from riding, you're correct. But then I'd suggest you turn-in your disc brakes, suspension, and rapid fire shifters, 27 speeds, and ride an old school rigid single speed mt bike to demonstrate your skill. For those who invest more than $1500 in you bike, then you will appreciate the value in the cost/performance for this new component. Your riding will get all the benefits of dropping a seat on a downhill, having it 50-80 percent on XC, or close 100% extension on steep fire road climbs.

Cons: the cable pops out to the rear a few inches in a bow. It's not in the way at all and won't catch branches. Once you install the Reverb, you will never be able to turn your bike upside down on the handle-bars without breaking the seatpost lever on the handle-bars. Has a little "click" movement if you try to wiggle it while your stand still. You won't be able to feel any movement on a trail unless you're riding on slicks and on smooth tile floor in an office building - so it's a non-issue. After owning this gadget, I wish I had a handle-bar front fork lock-out....rather than reaching down to flip my FOX lockout.

Pros: on the fly center of gravit adjustment. Adjusts immediately. Allows you to stay on the seat longer.
  • Hi There Mercury XC,

To get back to some Constructive feedback.....

I also have purchased one of these supremely good seatposts.
    I have not had the worries you mention RE turning the bike upside-down as I simply mounted the lever down under the bars (on the other side to which it is intended) and this keeps the lever out of the way and can't get damaged. Still easy to reach with thumb.
    This however means that you need to detach from bars if you need to bleed it (as the bleed screw now faces down) but this is literally one screw to unfasten it from the bars to bleed, - and you should bleed before installation anyways.

One issue I had was bleeding before installing as there were no directions for this in the package but these were easily found on the Rockshox website and all bleeding kit was with original seatpost package.

Cheers

Adam
  • Done a few rides with the Reverb - here's a couple of thoughts:

- is it necessary?No

- does it make riding more fun? Definitely yes, most tricky descents are followed by a climb, and it's great to bring the seat right back up 'on the fly', as easily as you might click a shifter to change gear.
  • J@mesC
    J@mesC Posts: 129
    Oooo, oooo, oooo!!! Gues who got a reverb as a valentines gift???!!!! One very happy bunny :D:D:D
  • Got one for valentines day? I got a box of chocolates!

You put it on your bike yet? Got any kitchen scales? I'm a bit of a weight weenie but at the same time am always moving my saddle up and down for climbs and decents.

I've tried to look for the weight, but can't find it......
  • Got one for valentines day? I got a box of chocolates!

You put it on your bike yet? Got any kitchen scales? I'm a bit of a weight weenie but at the same time am always moving my saddle up and down for climbs and decents.

I've tried to look for the weight, but can't find it......

30.9/380 - 522 grams
    30.9/420 - 565 grams
    31.6/380 - 537 grams

found these weights on a different forum. doesn't look like anyone has got an official weight for the 31.6/420 one yet.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Overall its a great product. Is it worth the cost?
    No, none of them are worth the cost.
    Needing a bleed from new, and no bleed instructions would mark it waaay down for me, compared to the convenience of it's competitors.