Ciocc bikes?

Squillinossett
Squillinossett Posts: 1,678
edited February 2011 in Road buying advice
Just looking at some input on ciocc bikes, I was pretty much set to order the felt AR5, but popped into Race Scene in Barnsley today and the chap (very helpful) showed me a some frames from both ciocc & Casati.

I really like the look (and price) of the ciocc extro frame, this can be custom fitted and come in custom colours for £1300 all in!

Im now thinking on just upgrading my frame and keeping my components, but Im looking for ome input on these two brands, and would love to hear back from anyone who owns one!

Cheers guys

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Ciocc is one of the great Italian builders, alongside Colnago, DeRosa, Pinarello, Milani, Casati, Pegoretti etc. He also used to build a lot of team bikes back in the day. He's not a big scale builder and has probably lost out in terms of the latest materials and technology. The problem is that these days, it's very hard to compete with the big Far East builders - that Extro frame looks suspiciously like a Pedalforce RS2 / Ribble Sportive frame - not to say that's its a bad frame but that's an expensive paintjob!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • I have a CASATI (VINCI) from Racescene and I am very, very pleased. It does all I want it to. I am in no way dissappointed. :D:D:D
  • Monty Dog wrote:
    Ciocc is one of the great Italian builders, alongside Colnago, DeRosa, Pinarello, Milani, Casati, Pegoretti etc. He also used to build a lot of team bikes back in the day. He's not a big scale builder and has probably lost out in terms of the latest materials and technology. The problem is that these days, it's very hard to compete with the big Far East builders - that Extro frame looks suspiciously like a Pedalforce RS2 / Ribble Sportive frame - not to say that's its a bad frame but that's an expensive paintjob!

If somone could shed light on this I would be greatful!!!!

Dont want to pay £1300 for a £400 frame!!!!
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483

If somone could shed light on this I would be greatful!!!!

Dont want to pay £1300 for a £400 frame!!!!

If you've got a couple of days to spare start by reading the first four threads on this page:

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/forumdisplay.php?f=77
  • Great thread and info guys.

I was all set for a Guerciotti Scarponi replica frameset from PlanetX; until I did some digging and found that the Stage winning Giro frameset was apparently none other than a Scuro RS a la Ribble, yes a very expensive sprayjob and decals.!

Hooray for t'internet! (nothing wrong with frameset just the huge apparent mark-up)
    Colnago C60 SRAM eTap, Colnago C40, Milani 107E, BMC Pro Machine, Trek Madone, Viner Gladius,
    Bizango 29er
  • Looks like I will give this frame a miss, it apprears to be much the same for a large selection of frames....

I knew they came out of moulds, but the fact you can buy the same frame £900 cheaper from ribble is shocking!
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    Have a look at Scapin at www.avanticycles.co.uk.
    Available as frame only or full build.
    I like the Blake, starts £1009 for frame only and builds from about £1650 I think.
    Tom's a nice bloke too.
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    red dragon wrote:
    I have a CASATI (VINCI) from Racescene and I am very, very pleased. It does all I want it to. I am in no way dissappointed. :D:D:D
    tell me more about the casati, im tempted by the marte. i dont know anyone who owns a casati
  • C+ had a review a couple pf months back and they loved it it was about £1400
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    I own a Ciocc Extro that I got from Racescene. I certainly didnt pay anywhere near that price for the frame as it was "last seasons colours" (grey, white and black) but I would wholeheartedly recommend it. Its extremely stiff but still comfortable on long rides and also has the bonus of exclusivity. It also got a 9 out of 10 review in cycling plus a couple of months ago.

Ciocc frames are one of the few that are still made in Italy unlike Pinarello etc etc. As for the post above, my frame is not the same as the ribble or the pedal force - every tube is a completely different shape for one..... Not sure if the design has changed but I doubt it. In any event I dont really care as I love my bike.
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • mrc1
    I own a Ciocc Extro that I got from Racescene. I certainly didnt pay anywhere near that price for the frame as it was "last seasons colours" (grey, white and black) but I would wholeheartedly recommend it. Its extremely stiff but still comfortable on long rides and also has the bonus of exclusivity. It also got a 9 out of 10 review in cycling plus a couple of months ago.

Ciocc frames are one of the few that are still made in Italy unlike Pinarello etc etc. As for the post above, my frame is not the same as the ribble or the pedal force - every tube is a completely different shape for one..... Not sure if the design has changed but I doubt it. In any event I dont really care as I love my bike.

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • it was the extro LC that they raved about. If I had the money I would have bought myself
  • Think I might fire off an email to them tomorrow to try to clear it up.

It certainly looks like the Ribble frame, but they are apparently made in italy (though this could mean carbon frame imported then painted...)

Also the review shows the full build for £1750, which puts the frame price of £1300 looking steep?
  • Where did you get to with this.? Was thinking of buying this frame from racescene? Thanks
  • I can't seem to find the thread referred to above, if anyone could redirect me it would be appreciated, thanks
  • mrc1
    Just refound this thread when googling but i can assure you that the ribble frame is nothing like the ciocc frame. Totally different tube shapes and geometry!

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • I went with a PX nano light instead, I coudlnt get anyone to give me an EXACT answer regarding the frame. looking on the net, it seems that the split was 75/80% thought it was the ribble frame, and 20-25% thought it was Cioccs own (these were usually people that owned the frame.

So didnt want to take a chance to spunking a lot of money for a £450 frame!
  • mrc1
    I went with a PX nano light instead, I coudlnt get anyone to give me an EXACT answer regarding the frame. looking on the net, it seems that the split was 75/80% thought it was the ribble frame, and 20-25% thought it was Cioccs own (these were usually people that owned the frame.

If that is your fear then the Planet X frame might not have been the best shout considering that is a stickered up no name chinese frame......

Anyway you pays your money you takes your choice etc. Hope you enjoy it.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • mrc1
    Should also point out that my frame is the non "LC" extro and is a very different frame to the LC one having now seen one in the flesh.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • PhilofCas
    PhilofCas Posts: 1,153
    mrc1 wrote:
    I went with a PX nano light instead, I coudlnt get anyone to give me an EXACT answer regarding the frame. looking on the net, it seems that the split was 75/80% thought it was the ribble frame, and 20-25% thought it was Cioccs own (these were usually people that owned the frame.

If that is your fear then the Planet X frame might not have been the best shout considering that is a stickered up no name chinese frame......

Anyway you pays your money you takes your choice etc. Hope you enjoy it.

but they aren't charging 1300 squids for it :)