Carradice saddle bags and carbon fibre seatposts?

skut
skut Posts: 371
edited November 2010 in Commuting chat
Hi

Can anyone enlighten me as to whether it's safe to use a carradice saddle bag with a carbon fibre seatpost? I'm thinking of getting a Nelson longflap with a bagman support.

(For annoying reasons I only have one bike for the forseeable future)

Thanks

Comments

• marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Peter White from Peter White Cycles has an amusing answer to this question:

"About once a month I get an email asking me if it's safe to use a Carradice saddlebag or SQR on a bike with a carbon fiber seatpost. Now, I don't mean to be insulting but, if you have to ask that question, why would you want to have a carbon fiber seatpost in the first place?

For the record, I haven't the slightest idea whether your carbon fiber seatpost is safe or not. And I would suggest that if you're concerned about your carbon fiber post breaking, you may want to get rid of it. If it did break, you would be left with a stump of carbon fiber pointed up towards your crotch. Carbon fiber, when it breaks, leaves an extremely irregularly shaped and extremely sharp surface, much like a glass bottle with the top broken off, but much more irregular. The damage it could do to a human's genitalia is too gruesome to discuss."

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/carradice.asp

Not quite the answer you're looking for, but amusing none the less.

He has a point though - if you're worried about it, then change the post over.
  • Craggers
    Craggers Posts: 185
    I use an SQR glentress on a carbon post... no probs. The only thing I'd mention is be careful when tightening the clamp onto the post...it doesn't need to be grim tight.
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    marcusjb wrote:
    Peter White from Peter White Cycles has an amusing answer to this question:

"About once a month I get an email asking me if it's safe to use a Carradice saddlebag or SQR on a bike with a carbon fiber seatpost. Now, I don't mean to be insulting but, if you have to ask that question, why would you want to have a carbon fiber seatpost in the first place?

For the record, I haven't the slightest idea whether your carbon fiber seatpost is safe or not. And I would suggest that if you're concerned about your carbon fiber post breaking, you may want to get rid of it. If it did break, you would be left with a stump of carbon fiber pointed up towards your crotch. Carbon fiber, when it breaks, leaves an extremely irregularly shaped and extremely sharp surface, much like a glass bottle with the top broken off, but much more irregular. The damage it could do to a human's genitalia is too gruesome to discuss."

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/carradice.asp

Not quite the answer you're looking for, but amusing none the less.

He has a point though - if you're worried about it, then change the post over.

Love it ... dont answer the question but made me laugh !