Which magazine?

getonyourbike
getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
edited November 2010 in MTB general
I'm looking to get subscription to a magazine and I just wondered which is best. What Mountian Bike looks good but what do you guys read? Also, who has the best subscription gifts?

Thanks
Pete

Comments

• bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    Any of wmb, mbuk or singletrack. If I had to pick one it'd probably be wmb.
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • Miggins
    Miggins Posts: 433
    edited November 2010
    Single track World is my first choice - it's about the actual riding more than anything else, no subscirption gifts, though.
    MBR is pretty good, probably aimed at a younger market than the above - less about the actual riding, more on equipment/reviews etc. A good all-round read and good subscription gifts.
    What Mountain Bike's good for reviews - funny that. A mag to buy if you're one for upgrading and like to keep on top of the latest equipment (never really looked at their subscription gifts)
    MBUK - personally I would never buy it again as it seems to be aimed more at "Rad dudes, man!"

Your best bet, before you subscribe, is to buy each for a couple of months to see what your thing is. Don't rely on what I've said above; that's just my personal choice. Yours could well be very different.
    After uphill there's downhill
  • I like MBR, but I'd better not say that on here. Also the subscription gift this month is a cracker.
    Northwind wrote: It's like I covered it in superglue and rode it through ebay.
  • bike-a-swan
    I've never entirely got on with mbr- I buy it very occasionally to see if i was just being unfair, and no, I just don't seem to like it. ymmv!
  • Why subscribe if you have not decided if you want to buy? Why not buy all three and see which you prefer? You could always have a nose at the websites and get the info' on line. I subscribed to MBUK for two years and learned heaps from it but now stick my nose in here most days and stalk W H Smiths in case some irresistible offer/gift comes along.
  • ..and when I say buy all three I mean in on month, pick your favourite and subscribe to that fella.
  • sht - now you tell me - on your instructions I've just signed up for three years of each.

..I'll see you in court.. :)
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I like them all... But if I could only have one, Singletrack or WMB.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I sorta like WMB really. Can't quite put my finger on it....
  • Ok then, I'll pick up a copy of WMB and MBUK as they're the ones that catch my eye.

Thanks guys.
  • Single track World is my first choice - it's about the actual riding more than anything else, no subscirption gifts, though.
    Singletrack World is of course a website, not a magazine ;)
  • Why not look on somewhere like greatmagazines website and take up any of the 3 issues for £1 type offers to see which magazine you prefer.
  • Of the main 3, would have to be Singletrack for me - as mentioned above, more about the riding, although I did enjoy the copy of WMB when I bought it last, but I think that could be down to the bike test they had on that month as it included the types of bikes I was looking to buy.

For a slightly different read - clearly more focused on what it is like to lead/live a bike focused lifestyle, pick up a copy of either/ both The Ride Journal and Privateer - both fantastic reads.
  • Miggins
    Miggins Posts: 433
    Single track World is my first choice - it's about the actual riding more than anything else, no subscirption gifts, though.
    Singletrack World is of course a website, not a magazine ;)

doh2.gif D'oh! Oh yeah. I'm obviously a visitor a of that website/forum too - force of habit! But the magazine is great :wink:
    After uphill there's downhill
  • This is may take on the magazines

ST - A features magazine aimed at the older rider. The magazine is designed to be read. Great for holidays or when you have time to sit down. I only tend to buy this on 3 or 4 occasions a year.
    MBR & WMB - Both are review magazines. Great for keeping up to date with industry news and the latest products. Without fail, I will buy one or the other every month.
    MBUK - In my eyes more of a trial/jump magazine. It appears to aimed at the under 20's. Reminds me of BMX Action Bike from the 80's. I will buy this once a year, purely to see if it has improved and whether it's target audience is evolving. It normally ends in the bin within a few hours. I just don't get on with it.
    Dirt Mountain Bike - I've never bought this one, so I can't pass comment.

*BMX Action Bike - When I started buying BMX Action Bike in 82 or 83, I loved the magazine but by 86 or 87 it had evolved into a RAD/Jump/Skate Magazine which just didn't interest me. Eventually they realised that the magazine wasn't about BMX anymore and they changed the name. I think it then disappeared altogether by the end of the 80's.

BMXActionBike.jpg
  • Matt_
    Matt_ Posts: 82
    I buy MBR. Find it interests me the most and you get the little cut out routes which can be handy sometimes. They had a route over Honsiter and Great Gable this month. Looks like an epic, may have to give it a go :lol:

Agree with others about MBUK, not my thing.
    Current Bikes:
    2010 Trek Fuel EX8
    2009 Specialized Allez Sport
    2006 Scott Reflex 20

Lakes Mountain Bike Routes
  • Northwind
    I really like Dirt. It's got sod all to do with the riding I do, but it's well put together, has a lot of content, and generally interesting articles. I'd sooner read a dirt review of a dirt jump bike I'll never buy than a MBUK review of a 5 inch trail bike which I might tbh.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • I like WMB because of the wealth of info and data about bikes and kit. The technical articles are excellent and are pitched at a level that can be understood by someone without previous cycle knowledge. I learn something new from every issue. I even read Supersonic's column (somebody has to).

But the writing style in other articles can sometimes be pedantic and appears to be aimed at retired geography teachers. This excerpt from this month's 'Ride Guide' is a perfect example of how to make your readers cringe.
    The proliferation of equestrian activity means that many trails are well surfaced and maintained with four-legged access in mind, but be aware that the winter months and prolonged wet spells during the summer months combined with the efforts of the equine rotivators (sic) can turn some of the best singletrack into a knee-deep bogfest.
    That's a convoluted 53 word sentence to say that horses churn up bridlepaths in wet weather! Perhaps the journalists are paid by the word. Or perhaps some mountain bikers really do talk like that... :lol:
    Canyon XC 8.0 '11
    Whyte 19 steel '10
  • I popped down to WHSmith on the bike and picked up a copy of both WMB and MBUK. Ive only read WMB so far but there was a extra, booklet thing on riding techniquesm which I've had a solid read through, haven't finished the main magazine though. The booklet is really useful and I'll definitely keep that and reread it every so often. :)
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Awww, I was about to give you a free sub too ;-)

Glad you like the tech articles though, we put a lot of hours into those.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    supersonic wrote:
    Awww, I was about to give you a free sub too ;-)

well if you're giving them away................... :lol:
  • turpinr
    turpinr Posts: 255
    wmb is by far the best mag, even though they can't get your subscriptions right.i subscribed in april and got my first mag in september plus 3 copies of mountain biking uk which i hadn't ordered and were all copies of the same month.
    i haven't had the novenber copy yet and when i sent e-mails off there was no response.
    a first calss mag, supersonic aside :D, spoiled by bad customer services.
  • If you're a scroaty teenager then get MBUK.

If you're an intelligent human being who appreciates decent writing and images then get Singletrack.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    i buy MBUK and Dirt with MBR on occasions when i've read those quickly :D
  • I think I'll get MBUK, it looks better and with WMB I can get the reviews on Bikeradar but not the articles. The Spesh multitool looks tempting too.
  • bike-a-swan
    If you're a scroaty teenager then get MBUK.

If you're an intelligent human being who appreciates decent writing and images then get Singletrack.

The double page spread basically describing using the urinals at the bike show in las vegas in the last issue a typical example of decent writing too?
  • If you're a scroaty teenager then get MBUK.

The double page spread basically describing using the urinals at the bike show in las vegas in the last issue a typical example of decent writing too?
    lol :lol:
  • bike-a-swan
    In all fairness, that was a low point- the writing is actually what I buy it for (although not very often).
  • Northwind

That was pretty much what I was going to say. On the other hand, the 2-page premature ejaculation of a Hemlock review met with my approval :lol: ZOMG HEMLOX ROXXORZ!!1!ONE
    Uncompromising extremist
  • IanTrcp
    IanTrcp Posts: 761
    Well I quite like it. Especially if I'm looking to make a major white goods purchase - like a washing machine or similar. They've got a comprehensive review of 3D TV's this month if you're interested;>