Best tyres for mud and lots of fallen leaves.

tylerjames
tylerjames Posts: 56
edited November 2010 in MTB beginners
Am going rideing nxt week up in stourhead woods nxt week and just wonderd wot tyres would be best for the terrain up there,mud and thick leaves and occasionall gravel section. Just got a new cube attention and the wheels on there seem abit slick,shwalbe smart sam are on there. As im not that clued up yet as in wot tyres are best for wot conditions.
Any help would be great please.
Jack

Comments

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Some that teach you grammar and spelling as you ride.

Just kidding, the common concensus for winter tyres is Bontrager Mud X, could give them a try but bear in mind nothing really works on wet roots, if you're in a forest.
  • tony620
    tony620 Posts: 194
    Bontrager mud x get my vote had such an enjoyable ride last week in the sloppy mud because of the amount of grip i had :D
  • x-isle
    x-isle Posts: 794
    +1 for the Mud X.

Serious grip in the deep stuff as the tyres slice through. Only issue, they also slice through gravel which is the compromise.
    Craig Rogers
  • Phicon
    Phicon Posts: 29
    i have to wade into this one :) In the really wet stuff Maxxis Medusa are unstoppable and race worthy. Put one on the back end for climbing ridiculous inclines in the pouring rain. Id put a faster rolling tyre on the front for max speed though.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... -21in-9250

They look a similar profile to the Mud x though :)
    current whips
    ** Ibis Mojo sl ** Giant XTC **
    ex bikes
    **Trek Top Fuel 9.9SSL** Trek Fuel Ex 8 ** Scott Genius LTD **
  • I have an upgraded cube attention which i love. Was thinking of changing my tyres. So many to choose from and so many different combinations. Eventually after a couple of very muddy rides with no accidents or incidents and people sliding off around me, i decided to stick with the smart sams as they seem to do the job.

According to reviews and retailers they are an all round tyre for all weathers. Havent given me any problems (as yet) in the mud so why change?
    pain is weakness leaving the body...
  • Hi guys,and thanks for all the help.
    The medusas grip pattern doesnt look much different than the Bontrager mud x. Would it make sense and just get the mud x for the rear and leave the smart sam on the front? Going out today for a easy ride and will see how the sams feel.
    Cheers again Jack
    P.s would i be ab;le too fit 29ers to my bike please? Been told it mite help as im a tall rider.
    Thanks again.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    BUy a pair of Mud x for the winter, you wont regret it. You Smart Sam looks, well, sub-optimal for this time of year. Not that I've ridden one.

Remember, tyres have a finite life, so having lots of tyres isn't bad value as long as you don't have any you never ride. They all wear out eventually, having lots just prolongs the overall life.

2 x Mud x is £38 right now in some places, so worth a punt.

As for 29" wheels - just how tall are you?
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • 6FT 4 mate and about 16 stone. Mud x it is then by the looks of things. Will see were is best too get from.
    Cheers
  • Just to be sure,i have found this link and wanted to make sure that these are the tyres i need before i purchase,
    http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/bontrage ... 16049.html
    Cheers Jack
  • x-isle
    Yep! 8)

Those are the ones, I use the 2.0, after running Nobby Nics 2.4 all summer, the 2.0 was thin enough to change to. Not sure what the 1.8 ones are like.
    Craig Rogers
  • Ah i didnt notice they were 1.8s. Do i need too get 2.0 or bigger really?
    Thankyou
  • x-isle
    The link you sent had both 2.0 and 1.8. It looked like the 1.8 was out of stock but the 2.0 in stock.

If the mud is very gloopy, I wouldn't recommend more than 2.0, the reason is, if the tyre is too wide, it simply sits on top of the mud. With a thin tyre it can dig into the mud and give you grip.

I'm not sure what the 1.8 ones are like, hopefully, someone else will pop along and share their thoughts. For me, they are a bit too thin for my liking, so I stuck with the 2.0.

Just for the record too, although they are tubeless ready, I still run them with tubes as my rims are not very good a sealing.
    Craig Rogers
  • neninja
    neninja Posts: 424
    I used my Maxxis Advantage Exception 2.1 for the first time today in those sorts of conditions - deciduous woodland singletrack and descents - lots of mud and leaves.

They were exceptionally good - predictable grip and found grip where even my pure mud tyres have slipped before.
  • The 2.0 will be more comfortable and should offer more grip on other surfaces, so a bit more of a allrounder. If it was me, I''d go for the 2.0
  • +1 for the mud x as per craigscrecomendation, did a mix of gloop sand and hard pack today and they were awesome according to the wife... Thanks for the heads up Craig :wink:

Best price I could find below and Evans price matched..

http://www.lexs.co.uk/Default.aspx?Prod ... ctId=20867
    It's all in the glory!!!

2011 Giant Trance X2
    [url=ihttp://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa452/Lucozadejim/MyMachine4.jpg]ihttp://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa ... chine4.jpg[/url]
    2008 Rockrider HT
  • Mccraque
    Mccraque Posts: 819
    running mud x's myself after a recommendation from a mate. He ran them with tubes last year and loved them and we are both running them tubeless this season. Wonderful tyres. They roll moderately quickly on the road, not noticeable drag...through gloop they are magnificent. They cut through stuff and bite as well.

The leave covered mud bath of north downs yesterday were easily coped with by them....and when you put the hammer down for some speed you can have confidence that ypu won'y wheel spin.

Buy them. :lol:
  • Did you have them on front and the rear and would you go for the 2.0?
    Cheers
  • Mccraque
    Prefer something bigger on the front - so have a MK 2.4 up top...but on the back it gives all the traction that you need in deep mud. 2.0 is great - no real need to go skinnier unless you're racing or something...I prefer the bigger volume as am a bit harder on the rims.
  • Maxis Wet scream or Swampthings.

Wet screams if its totally mental, and swamp things more normal conditions.

Though my swamp things held up well on Sunday and i haven't seen mud like that since i were a lad :p
  • Luke-Dob
    Luke-Dob Posts: 121
    Maxis Wet scream or Swampthings.

Wet screams if its totally mental, and swamp things more normal conditions.

Though my swamp things held up well on Sunday and i haven't seen mud like that since i were a lad :p

Wetscreams = best mud tyre in the world. Wetscreams = worse rolling tyre in the world. Use it for Downhill, ONLY!

Swampthings on the otherhand, amazing tyre for both the loam and loose ground. But as with most mudtyres, still quite a lot of rolling resistance.
    "If I Was Falling, YOU BETTER FREAKING CATCH ME!!!"
    6 years riding bikes, 8 broken bones, gravity can be a b**ch
    http://dobby.pinkbike.com/album/My-Bikes-D/
  • Man was asking for Mud tyres :p
  • Mccraque
    Mud X's roll extrememly well considering they're mud tyres....no real noticeable drag and they are light too....
  • Mud xs have 1 me over. 1 last thing,do i get a 2.0 on the front and bigger on the back?
    Thanks for all the help so far.
  • I'd just go for 2.0 front and rear.
  • x-isle
    me too!
    Craig Rogers
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    2.0s all round. They are quite skinny enough.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Cheers for all the feedback and gona get the mud x 2.0 front and rear.
  • x-isle
    8) I doubt you'll regret it! Make sure you come back and let us all know how you get on with them!
    Craig Rogers
  • Will do mate. Just had a thout tho. As the bikes new do i wait till after they do the 4 week check on the bike till i fit them to avoid trouble with warranty? Just ask as the gears dont seem to change too well and you seem to have too wait sometimes for it too change up or down and dont want any excuses for them to blame me and not rectify the problem.
    Cheers Jack
  • x-isle
    You shouldn't have any warranty issues with tyres, however, you never know, some people just like a way out of paying out. You bike shop will pass any warranty claims onto the manufacturer so you shouldn't have any issues. If in doubt, just ask the shop?
    Craig Rogers