beginner bike prices?!

u05harrisb
u05harrisb Posts: 531
edited November 2010 in MTB general
thinking of spending about £1000 on a new bike next year and am looking around and deciding ( always the fun part :D ) but i read loads of reviews that bike X/Y is great for the money and perfect for a beginner or sombody thinking of getting into mountain bikeing as a hobby seriously what the hell! i currently ride an exhire giant boulder i ride 100 miles a week and have run the bike ragged and have replace coutless parts under warranty, surly thats a "beginners bike" if £1000 is now beginner range whats my £150 boulder?! ive upgraded my bikes tyres and put SPDs on and thats it and i keep up with riders on scott scale 20s on club runs who all race and i smoke other rides who i see on £1500 bikes!

Am i beginner?

Comments

• welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    i think personally that a beginners bike is one that someone buys to test the water to see if they like riding. or someone who rides cycle paths with occasional off road rides. i would say £300-£500 would be beginner bike prices.
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    I wouldn't say your a beginner at all! Specially if your considering spending a grand! You can get an extremely good hardtail for that money!

A beginner as said above is someone testing the water! If youve worn out your giant, your beyond that!
  • I agree, £1000 buys a very good hardtail. I thought £1000 was sort of mid range, well £700 was mid range. :?
  • i know right thats what i dont really understand, im thinking of getting a boardman HT pro i can only spend £1000 because im only 17 and ive been working my ass off to fund it, to be fair the giant has done well for what it is, the forks have been replaced twice and the 3rd pair has seized, ive been through 2 bottomw brackets then they gave up and gave me a free upgrade to a sealed one the same has happened to bothe hubs, im really through the rims from braking and i only started using this bike 3-4 monthes ago, previously i had an appolo bike and snapped the frame- woops- im just quite suprised that £1000 is viewed as "beginner" i only really need to upgrade because of the need for a relyable bike that i can compete in XC racing with without me loosing because of my bike
  • What on earth is a beginer bike? - surely it's more to do with rider skills. I 've seen plenty of people on 2k bikes that I would class as beginer :lol:
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    This is so subjective. But I'd say you can get a perfectly good, servicable and decent performing bike for 200 quid up.
  • u05harrisb wrote:
    i know right thats what i dont really understand, im thinking of getting a boardman HT pro i can only spend £1000 because im only 17 and ive been working my ass off to fund it, to be fair the giant has done well for what it is, the forks have been replaced twice and the 3rd pair has seized, ive been through 2 bottomw brackets then they gave up and gave me a free upgrade to a sealed one the same has happened to bothe hubs, im really through the rims from braking and i only started using this bike 3-4 monthes ago, previously i had an appolo bike and snapped the frame- woops- im just quite suprised that £1000 is viewed as "beginner" i only really need to upgrade because of the need for a relyable bike that i can compete in XC racing with without me loosing because of my bike

Where have you seen that 1000 is classed as a beginners bike?

Rob
  • when people owning the bike write review such as on the halfrauds website for the boardman HT pro customer review, several say or are along the lines of an ideal bike for a beginner or sombofdy new to the sport

Ben
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It is! You get a lot of bike. Is light, quality parts will last, and geo strikes a nice balance of stable and reactive.

But doesn't mean that a cheaper one will not suffice.
  • Foobies
    Foobies Posts: 134
    My bike cost me £35 quid before I started "pimping" it and to was fine, just wanted some better components so it'd last longer. Then I did buy it off a mate who had left it outside for a year and needed the cash. He Had sprayed it "primer grey" so don't have a clue what it is, but have been told it looks like a Kona shred, but as it had suntour forks could be anything.
    2019 Bianchi Oltre XR4
    2016 Bianchi Ethanol
    2015 Bianchi via nirone 7

2018 Boardman ADV 8.9
  • Mccraque
    Mccraque Posts: 819
    I own a Boardman Pro HT...bought it as a second bike. Love it....is amazingly light and well specced for the money - climbs amazingly well and is more fun on the descents than I envisaged it would be.
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    Sometimes when people talk about beginners bikes, what they mean is something which is likely to suit a large cross section of people. So nothing niche (not rigid, not ss etc), nothing too aggressive and something that gives you the chance to ride a bit of everything providing it's not too extreme. Price usually doesn't have much to do with it but it probably should.