Individual Dura Ace sprockets

rocksteadyeddie
rocksteadyeddie Posts: 294
edited November 2010 in Road buying advice
I would like to put together a "climbing" casette for next yeat in the Alpes. Does anyone know where I could buy individual sprockets from?

Thanks

Comments

• Which sprokets do you want individually? My DA7800 12-25 cassette conprises of 25-23-21 as one block, 19-17 as another block and then the 16, 15, 14,13,12 come as individual sprokets.
  • I reckon a 24 and a 22. The rest I can cobble together from existing cassettes
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    The only brand that I've been able to find that makes individual cogs is Miche and they don't seem to be as durable or shift as well as the Shimano cogs. I sure would like to know of any other options for single cogs as well.
  • if it's for a once off trip like that, get a second cassette, Ultegra or even 105 with the teeth combo you want. That way the shifting ramps will be correct. If you mess about changing some of the cogs in a cassette you may end up with misaligned shift ramps, which means halfway up that Alp when you need to change down suddenly, it goes all t1ts up.

There's an 11-28 here, for not much money...

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/Cassettes-Road-Shimano-10-Spd-105-5700-Cassette/SHIMCASS922

Or if you are heading for the Himalayas, get one of these, although you will need a different derailleur too

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/Cassettes-Road-Sram-10-Spd-PG-1050-Cassette/SRAMCASS260
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • A 28 is too big. I want a 21-25 straight through. I wouldn't have thought the shifting would be a problem as they have a large spline to make them idiot proof.
  • mrdsgs
    mrdsgs Posts: 337
    google marchisio
    Colnago Addict!
  • A 28 is too big. I want a 21-25 straight through. I wouldn't have thought the shifting would be a problem as they have a large spline to make them idiot proof.

The spline is meant for exactly that reason, so you can assemble them one way only. But each version of the cassettes is machined differently, depending on the overall cassette ratio. So, the 15 tooth in a 12-25 will have slightly different shift ramps from the 15 tooth in an 11-25, because it is in a different position overall (4th smallest instead of 5th).

I'm confused though - if you want 21-25 straight, what are you leaving for the rest of the block, because with a 12 as your tallest gear here would mean using 12, 13, 15, 17, 19 perhaps. That's generally considered to be very inefficient, because the percentage gaps between gears is much greater. You won't notice much difference between, say, a 34/23 and 34/24 (assuming compact crank?), because that's only a ~4% change from 38.8 to 37.2 inches. But the jump from 13 to 15 is a 15% change, which is VERY hard, even on a flat road.

Good luck though!!
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    contact this fella, professional cycling engineer who reall knows what he`s talking about.
    if he cant supply you with an off the shelf product to meet your needs , he`ll make you what ever you want.
    http://www.highpath.net/
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly