Cwmcarn - Tuesday 9th November?

Proutster
Proutster Posts: 785
edited November 2010 in MTB rides
I'm down in South Wales on business on Tuesday morning and I'm going to take the opportunity to go to Cwmcarn at around lunchtime.

As it's my first time there, will anyone else be around to show me around / wait for me as I pootle along slowly (or is it very self explanatory)?

Looking forward to my second visit to a trail centre as I loved Llandegla when I went there for the first time last month.

Comments

• Would love to have joined you but unfortunatly i'm working Tuesday.
    The XC route known as the Twrch Trail starts straight out of the Car Park with regular waymarkers and a few maps along the route.
    Allow anything from 1-2 hours

Enjoy.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    as sladey said above it's very self explanatory. the route is easy to follow. when you get to the top i think the freeride section at airstream is better than the xc airstream (you have a choice) but go with what you feel :D
  • Thanks guys, sounds like even I can't get lost :D

I gather that you can do a couple of loops at the top - the XC and the Freeride? Is it easy to spot where you go back up to the top again so that you can then do the other?
  • welshkev
    yeah, when you get to the end of the airstream sections you hit one of those wooden gate things with a carpark on your right. at the top of the carpark is a fireroad. ride up that fireroad and it brings you back to the top of the climb and the start of the descents on the right hand side
  • Thanks for your help welshkev & Silversladey.

Funny coincidence, I see that you're both in Cwmbran and that's where I'm visiting customers on both Monday afternoon & Tuesday morning!!
  • welshkev
    another funny coincidence is that we went to school together, neither of us knew we both rode and spoke to each other on here for ages before we realised who the other was!!! :lol:

there's some good natural riding to be had around cwmbran aswell, if you head up to an area known locally as 'the mountain air' in upper cwmbran you'll see what i mean :D
  • If you are in Cwmbran again on business and fancy going out for a ride drop me a PM, I tend to get a fair bit of weekday time off.
  • welshkev - thanks, but won't have time to do the natural riding - I can disappear off the radar for a couple of hours but any more than that & suspicions will be aroused!!

Silversladey - again, thanks - I'll remember this and PM when I'm next down.

The bike is now all washed and clean ready for the trip :D Can't wait!!
  • What great fun Cwmcarn is!!

Loved every minute, the climb's a lot more technical than at Llandegla and the variety makes it much more interesting - seemed to take less time because of the constant technical bits (rather than the long, fire-road drag at Llandegla).

Did the Red XC airstream first & then went back up to do the freeride section - both great fun, glad that there was nobody around to spot that both wheels stayed firmly on the ground throughout the freeride route :oops:

Thoroughly enjoyed it and the trail centre's pretty well equipped as well - bike wash, then free showers & then £3.20 for ham, egg & chips. Spot on!!

Will definitely be going back :D
  • welshkev
    glad you enjoyed it, give me and sladey a shout next time and one of us will be around to ride with you i'm sure :D
  • Fine just ignore me then :(
  • When I'm next down that way I'll PM all 3 of you (Silversladey, welshkev & Thewaylander) to give you lot something to laugh at!!

welshkev - do you think that'll make him put his toys back in the pram now :)
  • Can't reach my toys :(
  • welshkev
    sorry waylander, i'll give you a cwtch when i see you :shock: :lol:
  • get your coat love....

I've pulled! :p