newport velodrome

markyone
markyone Posts: 1,119
edited December 2010 in Track
looking to do a track ride at newport,been over there and had a look round but want to start track riding :roll: i live just over bridge portishead so about 40 mins away.how often do they do a starter course?
Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
Pinarello F8 with sram etap

Comments

• Ring the veolodrome, or look up the website, there is a programme of events posted on it:

http://www.newport.gov.uk/_dc/index.cfm ... CONT067624

I would recommend following the starter and inters courses and get accredited.
  • markyone
    thanks for that will give them a call.
    does it get busy on sessions?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    The starter courses run pretty much once a month and last for 4 weeks. There's a bit of a waiting list so you may have to wait for a month or two, once you call and put your name down they then call back when they have a course coming up with a space. The sessions tend to start with about 14 people but by the end it seems to be down to about 6 from my experience and the beginners session that was running when I did my improvers which is a bit frustrating when you have to wait a while to get on a course! I haven't done any drop in sessions yet but from what I've been told some get very busy (particularly the Friday vets session) whilst others are quiet such as the early morning rides.
  • The lunchtime sessions are unsurprisingly the quietest, but if only 5 turn up then you are probably going to get a spanking unless you're one of the faster riders. The vets session on a friday is always popular. I ride the inters session on sunday eves as there is often spaces left over (and never book it before Friday out of fairness to those who need to ride the session). Thursday night SQT which is full on leg shredding is also bizarrely very popular given the pain factor (35 riders last night) but that's for accredited riders only. There are also a few privately organised club sessions that are open to club riders that are sometimes over subscribed too.
  • just so you know i got told today that they are taking names and payments for the next beginners course they are running which will start from november 29th and costs 20quid. thats just for the course and not bike rental as I have my own bike
    Crafted in Italy apparantly
  • markyone
    thanks for that i will call them,how much is bike hire?
  • markyone wrote:
    thanks for that i will call them,how much is bike hire?

£6 last winter
  • Pross
    I think I was paying £7 earlier this year. Hopefully from Christmas that will be behind be and I'll have a nice new bike of my own to ride! Steve, what sessions would you recommend for an unfit track beginner? I may try to join in with Cwmcarn or JIF if there's space otherwise Wednesday early bird if possible. What is the Sunday evening session?
  • Pross wrote:
    I think I was paying £7 earlier this year. Hopefully from Christmas that will be behind be and I'll have a nice new bike of my own to ride! Steve, what sessions would you recommend for an unfit track beginner? I may try to join in with Cwmcarn or JIF if there's space otherwise Wednesday early bird if possible. What is the Sunday evening session?
    The cwmcarn session on wed evening is not a good idea, its fast and furious, and definitely not for a beginner not used to the track. The sunday eves were the improvers course - it follows begnners and leas into accreditation. I rode them because they had spaces, ad the time was convenient (and 3 hours at the track for £6 is a bargain)
  • Pross
    I did the improvers back in May but didn't go for accreditation as I was on holiday on the date they gave me. JIF were doing a Monday night session last winter straight after the beginners course. As you say though it might be worth doing the improvers again as £6 for a long session is good value. Who did them this time? I had Brian for my course, might be worth going on one with Courtney as he's the one who does the accreditation
  • What are the rules on taking you own bike there?
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • Pross
    It's fine as long as it's a proper track bike and not some courier style "fixie".
  • AlanW
    AlanW Posts: 291
    There is a novices/intermediate track clinic this coming weekend, for two whole days at Newport.

Run by Lee Povey and Dave LeGrys, see the Fast Track coaching web site for more info, and no I am not connected with it.

Here
    "You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"
  • 99quid for two days... :roll:
    Crafted in Italy apparantly
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    acidstrato wrote:
    99quid for two days... :roll:
    May sound a lot but it depends what level you are and what your looking for. Dont forget this will be a session with coaches where you will receive advice and coaching, not just training.
    Don't forget most training sessions are just that, training.
    Coached sessions with qualified coaches who provide feedback and advice is different.
    You guys in Newport are spoilt though as in my experience evenon training sessions you get very useful help and advice from the coaches there, especially on the drop in sessions where you are normally lucky enough to ride with more experienced riders also who are mostly happy to advise.
  • acidstrato wrote:

I was on this course - best £99 I have ever spent. Fantastic attention to detail, our needs, safety, and pushed us to go harder faster and better. Brilliant and I am hooked.

So I wasted the whole of yesterday trying to recover, browsing the bike p*rn for a track bike. Anyone got a 56 they want to sell?
  • acidstrato wrote:

I was on this course - best £99 I have ever spent. Fantastic attention to detail, our needs, safety, and pushed us to go harder faster and better. Brilliant and I am hooked.

So I wasted the whole of yesterday trying to recover, browsing the bike p*rn for a track bike. Anyone got a 56 they want to sell?

Mine is a 57 I think, bit too small for me and I use 58 for road and TT bike. Its old skool steel frame with colombus XL tubing, miche c/set, mavic rims, miche track hubs. I am thinking of changing it in Jan if I have enough cash left over....pm me if you are interested and want some pics etc.
  • AlanW
    acidstrato wrote:

And I was!

I had the white/black Fuji Track Pro
    "You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"
  • Mine is a 57 I think, bit too small for me and I use 58 for road and TT bike. Its old skool steel frame with colombus XL tubing, miche c/set, mavic rims, miche track hubs. I am thinking of changing it in Jan if I have enough cash left over....pm me if you are interested and want some pics etc.

Thanks - I'm kind of thinking modern aero/stiff/light.

The Fuji Pro was very handsome and a great package, as was the Fuji Comp in the group. I liked Adam Roberts' Planet X - that was the nuts. I
  • AlanW
    I'm after either a planet X or a fuji pro...

The frame is excellent, but not to sure about the OE wheels to be honest? Yes they look very trick, being a deep section, but crikey are they heavy!

My sell them once I decided what to go for instead?
  • Wouldn't worry about weight on a track bike, stiffness is much more important.
  • AlanW
    Wouldn't worry about weight on a track bike, stiffness is much more important.

Yes I understand that and once they are rolling they are superb, but you still have to accelerate and getting them going is hard work, especially up the banking.