bikehut problem with headset

gtd.
gtd. Posts: 626
edited November 2010 in MTB general
Bought a headest (FSA Pig) for my bike on fitting it I noticed the upper bearing seal was missing, went back and they didnt have another.

They just told me to remove the headset, take it back and get a refund

That would be fine but I cant get the headset out of the frame the cups fefuse to budge, went back..

told to Just use a screwdriver and a hammer :shock:

I have tried my headset remover and failed and I don't have a screwdriver long enough.

Should I just go back and ask them to do it seeing as they supplied a faulty headset.
Mountain: Orange Patriot FR, SubZero & Evo2LE.
Road: Tifosi Race Custom.
Do it all bike: Surly Disc Trucker 700c/29er

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    They should have a 'rocket' tool to remove headsets. I'd ask them to do it. They sort of owe it you!
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    +1
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    +1
  • gtd.
    Cheers that's what I was thinking

Tried a cheap rocket tool but it kept falling through...

opened it up and it wasn't gripping evenly and the cups wouldn't budge

that said I don't have a work stand :(

Last go i splayed it wider but I messed up and one leg went down the down tube :oops:

back to the drawing board... ohh I could bolt a top cap either side of one cup and hit it out like that... nope that wont work as both cups are fitted :oops:
  • gtd.
    just ground down two sides of an old top cap down so it would fit through sideways but press it out whilst flat

didnt work the top cap deformed as its alloy. looked at all my steel washers but there too small/big
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    Why not order it online, take the part you want from it and return the rest of the parts you don't need to Halfords, and then save £5 off Halford's price?
  • gtd.
    because I bought a Hope 8)
  • Ok, I work at Halfords :oops: (only part time to help fund my teaching degree). They will have a nice park headset removal tool to get it out. If it is a defective/missing part then I cant see why they wouldn't knock it out but don't go down middle of saturday afternoon and expect it to be done there and then, best bet is daytime in the week, more chance of being served by the bike tech and not a 16 year old kid.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    They all have this tool?
  • They should do. They have a standardised repair price list and headset fit and removal is on it and hence should have the tools to do that job. Tool wise they are probably better kitted out than my LBS but when most of the work is on £100 bikes they don't get used that much.
  • gtd.
    Took it in and the guy removed it and installed my hope :D

He didnt use the park tool... :shock:

He used a Halfords hammer through screw driver but agreed it was a tight fit :lol:

its all back together now and OK had to correct a few things but at least I have a headset that is sealed rather than being able to see the top bearings