HELP!!!! im getting to fat

mkirby
mkirby Posts: 365
edited November 2010 in Commuting chat
im getting too fat. I have gone from a healthy ish 83Kg this time last year, started a new job and i have ballooned back up too 100Kg.

I've started to increase the amount of exercise gradually so i dont get too put off. But im looking for a way to do exercise at work. A mate suggested going for a ride once a week, im a bit unfit at the moment to do the 50 mile round trip on my bike so i was thinking of getting a folder and bussing it then cycling the rest of the way in.

Does anyone else do this on a bus? Any suggestions for bikes? I'd prefer a fixed wheel folder if possible but its not a deal breaker. I dont have a lot of money so £500 would be pusing it a lot.

The other option is a knaked up 2nd hand job and leave it at work is suppose.

Comments

• mkirby wrote:
    hand job

Sounds the best option to me. 8)
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    :lol::lol:

Lunchtime jog?
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    mkirby wrote:
    hand job

Sounds the best option to me. 8)

That is a hell of a lot of weight to lose using that particular exercise regime! If you do decide to follow EC's advice, let me know so that I can buy shares in Kleenex.

25 miles each way during winter whilst unfit? Time for a big dose of MTFU if you ask me.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • ndru
    ndru Posts: 382
    Think about your diet first. Cut out the empty carbs and processed foods. Strength training will give you greater effects then cycling - in the end it's the most energy efficient way of moving around (not discouraging it though). Try Stronglifts.com first.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Shame you're not a Londoner or we could give you fitness tips over a few beers at the Morpeth.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    dhope wrote:
    Shame you're not a Londoner or we could give you fitness tips over a few beers at the Morpeth.

cycling to the morpeth is then step one of the training plan surely?
    Hat + Beard
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Cycle in one day and cycle home the next??

do that twice and it's a not unreasonable 100 mile week.. start off with just the one?

To get on a bus with a folder you'd realistically only be looking at a brompton(probably in a bag) so as not to nark too many people off
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Norky
    Norky Posts: 276
    Drive part way, park car and cycle the rest? That at least opens your options up to any bike that can fit in the back of the car (assuming that you have one).
    The above is a post in a forum on the Intertubes, and should be taken with the appropriate amount of seriousness.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,355
    EAT LESS FOOD
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • lg18
    lg18 Posts: 92
    Good on ya for wanting to do something positive about it because it goes too far!
    Here's some obvious advice, which will really really help, trust me!
    1. NEVER take the lift, walk/cycle everywhere.
    2. NEVER snack between meals or have that pack of crisps/flapjack for lunch as well as your sandwich. i.e. eat less, but still eat fine.
    3. Cut right right back on the booze - do you really need 2 pints of Kingfisher with that curry?
    4. I second the suggestion to cycle in one way, get bus back every day.
    5. Since it's winter, get an exercise bike, and don't allow yourself to sit around on teh sofa watching the TV unless your on it, peddling away! Worked for me!
    6. GOOD LUCK! You can do it easily!
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Cycle to work scheme possible? That way you could get a £700 Brompton without stretching the budget
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    Didn't realise that Morpeth was cycling distance from London in a day. :twisted:
  • mkirby
    Morpeth is 3 miles down the road but its not THE Morpeth.

I dont drink and i dont drive as i dont have a car. My problem is excess eating. I have number 1 bike set up on the turbo and i plan on doing a bit on that. I have started doing night training with the local club just so im getting out. I also do 2 long rides at the weekend.

I just need a way to control my eating, i have no will power and low self esteem which doesnt help. end up doing a lot of comfort eating.

I think i will see how the next few weeks go, im holding steady weight wise just need to tip it into down mode.

Oh and work dont do the cycle to scheme and just stonewalled me last time i asked.

going to bike shop in the morning for some retail therapy. I may come back with a bike 8)
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Who ate all the pies .................................. :lol: .

It's not the lack of cycling causing you to become a FB, but the quantity and poor nutritional value of the food you are troffing. Eat a healthy diet, do a bit of walking, or should that be wanking, and watch the kilos fall off you. How tall are you, 11'4"?
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • mkirby
    im 5ft 11, i walk to work from the bus stop. 30 mins each way. but yes its the crap diet
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,125
    afraid its the boring route of eating less :(
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    ......... and see your GP to get a referral for therapy. LSE needs additional help.

Mind you, scampi and chips with a cold Guinness makes for a lovely Friday meal :wink:
  • discurio
    discurio Posts: 118
    try www.foodfocus.co.uk

its a free diet / calorie counting website. myself and girlfriend were using and we managed to lose two stone each over a period of time. its very easy to use. You input your daily excercise and EVERYTHING you eat (you have to be honest here) and you can keep tabs on calories burnt vs calories eaten.

the best part i found about this website is it has taught us what foods were better than others in regards to weight loss. I really didnt feel at any time that i was on a diet. we havent changer our lifestyle really, just think a little more about what we cook.

i suggest giving yourself an acheivable target like losing half a pound per week, that way on the weekly weigh in you get some happy news when you've lost more and ahead of your goal. we averaged about 1-1.5 pounds a week.

good luck mate I hope this helps. i have got a few of my friends on this website and it helped them.
    I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    plowmar wrote:
    Didn't realise that Morpeth was cycling distance from London in a day. :twisted:[/quote

I did it once, 95 miles :?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    mkirby wrote:
    im 5ft 11, i walk to work from the bus stop. 30 mins each way. but yes its the crap diet

Get someone to take pictures of you in just your underwear, scared the living hell out of me, i've lost 3 stone since then and so far its staying off.

Every once in a while I take a look at the pics [puke]
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Do you cook? If not - or you only heat food - then it might help to learn. You'll eat better food and, quite probably, less of it (the simple act of cooking tends to make some people feel less hungry by the time they sit down to eat).
  • mkirby
    Im an excellent chef and an even better pastry chef. I dont make much pastries these days or if i do my cycling buddies get there first.

The problem with cooking is i get bored waiting the hour or so to prepare the food so i snack.

Need to break the link between boredom and eating, if i can do that i should see a reduction.

itb i was thinking of doing that will dig out a camera, as you say might shock me into doing it.

Went shopping today and bought lots of freah veg and fish. i eat good stuff at home, work is a whole different matter, just too much of it in general.

I'll keep you all posted how i go, have ordered a fuji track bike so that should help work of a few extra calories.
  • mkirby
    This week down from 100.5 to 99.3 kg need to be extra carefull with the eating due to inability to ride because of my crash. Should be able to manage a turbo session by monday i hope. Heres hoping i dont blow it over the weekend.
  • Well done mkirby. Good loss to begine with and probably a good mental boost getting under the 100.
    FCN 7

FCN 4

if you use irrational measures to measure me, expect me to behave irrationally to measure up
  • mkirby
    Im not holding my breath it remains to be seen if i can hold it off this week. Hoping to be back on the bike after the weekend, so just need to have some restraint.
  • At least you've started the first stage, of doing something about it.

Perhaps cycle in and train it back (if that's feasible).

As for eating, cutting down overall is one way, although if you ride and do other exercise you might find you just get tired, grumpy and give up. Remember, your metabolism will slow down if you eat less so if you give up you will put on more than ever. That's why diets generally don't work and in fact tend to make things worse.

Best is to cut out all sugar (check the contents of everything). Empty, useless, calories. No good to anyone, especially before sport (ask the guys at the top of sports like cycling, kayaking, etc - an Olympic C1 finalist told me if it wasn't around 200 years ago don't eat it before an event). Limited oil also helps. Don't snack, but eat proper, healthy food in good portions.

And don't weigh yourself more than once per week, remembering muscle is heavy so you may well gain weight at first.

Swimming is good, especially in winter. Good luck with turbo training - like exercise bikes, staggeringly, mind-numbingly, boring and tedious. 10 mins per season is more than enough for me.

But perhaps the answer also lies elsewhere. Comfort food, low self-esteem? Perhaps finding an activity, club, whatever may also help. Where there are friendly people and something you find interesting and satisfying. Perhaps evening classes in something you've always wanted to learn. And if not some kind of sport, riding there and back could do the exercise bit.

Hope that helps.
  • mkirby
    Thanks thats good info.

I'm a member of 2 cycling clubs, one is 15 miles away the other 3 miles. i cycle in and back when i go on club rides.

At the moment pre crash, i was doing club rides on sat and sun and training on weds. That works out at about 50 - 70 easyish (cafe trip really) miles on a sat, 40+ hard miles (they are a lot better than me) on sun. Then chain gang on wednesday. I also cycle to my oboe teachers which is only 6 hilly miles so is good for a rest day.

I try to fit the turbo in so that i have a break before the next out door session allowing me time to practice my oboe. Havent done any at the minute due to a bust cadence sensor and having not unpacked the magic box with the one for the turbo yet.

I find about an hour on the turbo is easy enough if its a varied workout, if its just ride solid then yes i want to get off.

Im thinking of giving running ago, cafewanda seems pleased with this judging by the gentle ribbing :lol:, ideally i would like to get into fencing again but no where up north really does it.

Using the train is not really an option as its just prohibitively expensive and runs at stupid times.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    mkirby wrote:
    Thanks thats good info.

I'm a member of 2 cycling clubs, one is 15 miles away the other 3 miles. i cycle in and back when i go on club rides.

At the moment pre crash, i was doing club rides on sat and sun and training on weds. That works out at about 50 - 70 easyish (cafe trip really) miles on a sat, 40+ hard miles (they are a lot better than me) on sun. Then chain gang on wednesday. I also cycle to my oboe teachers which is only 6 hilly miles so is good for a rest day.

I try to fit the turbo in so that i have a break before the next out door session allowing me time to practice my oboe. Havent done any at the minute due to a bust cadence sensor and having not unpacked the magic box with the one for the turbo yet.

I find about an hour on the turbo is easy enough if its a varied workout, if its just ride solid then yes i want to get off.

Im thinking of giving running ago, cafewanda seems pleased with this judging by the gentle ribbing :lol:, ideally i would like to get into fencing again but no where up north really does it.

Using the train is not really an option as its just prohibitively expensive and runs at stupid times.

I'm a bit confused as you are giving the impression you are a fairly handy cyclist 90-110 miles on a weekend with your club then a chain gang ride mid week. Even at a weight of 83kg which is what you say you were previously, I believe you would struggle big time if any of your cycling companions were decent riders. To be able to ride 80 miles on a club ride at a decent pace you have to ride a fair few miles during the week. If you did this how come your weight was 83kg and now 100kg? For give me if I am being a bit thick but something is not quite right. What's this about a "crash" you keep mentioning? Did your weight crash, your bike or you were involved in a collision?

Starting running would be a smart move. Try running 7-8 miles a day (about 45 mins to 1hours worth) 5-6 days a week. Plus do lots of squat thrusts, push ups, crunches, star jumps, etc during or immediately after. But above all cut down on how much you eat and the beer. Good luck.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.