Which Tubeless Sealant for Shwalbe Tyres?

El Capitano
El Capitano Posts: 6,401
edited November 2010 in MTB general
As it says in the title.

Going to have a go at making a pair of non-ust Racing Ralphs tubeless over the winter (when it's not too critical if I get it wrong).

So, I have the rims (ZTR Crest) all set up with the yellow rim tape and valve cores (Stan's Olympic).

I've read the instructions here:

http://www.notubes.com/support_detailed.php

All I need to sort out now, is which sealant to use.

Now Schwalbe do their own sealant, but it only works as a sealant for 3 months before it 'sets' :

http://www.schwalbe.co.uk/c2-1306-schwa ... -blue.html

I've read that other sealants can be re-used - I'd rather go down this route as I'm not too keen on having to reapply (and obviously add extra rotational weight) every few months. I also recall reading that not all sealants are compatable with all tyres.

So, who uses what and which do you recommend?

Comments

• clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    I used Stans Sealant on the 355 rims for a Nobby Nic front, RR rear. The Nobby Nic sealed first time no problem. Getting the Racing Ralph to seal was a right PITA and it continually leaked air. After three top ups and reseals it was ok - till I unshipped the seal on a rock and it has never sealed again since. So right now I'm not sure I would bother again!

The Nobby Nic is still sealed and going strong.
  • Stans all day long, got almost exactly same set up to you and had no probs. Sealed easy and I re-use stans milk. Extra rotational weight? Not sure about this I know its a hotly debatable subject but even if you do 'top up' for me the benefit of tubeless is just second to none.With Stans when I have had punctures I tend carry on riding and then eventually stop spin the wheel a couple of times wait 1/2 minutes and hey presto all sealed then just topped up air with mini pump.
    '..all the bad cats in the bad hats..'
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Rocket Ron UST tyres on Crossland UST wheelset with Mavic UST rimstrip & Joe's no Flats Super Sealant (it was the best value in stock sealant I could get at the time)

No problems at all, fitted with a track pump & nothing to lube the bead. Pumped tyre up to seat bead, then popped about 6" off the rim on one side, poured sealant in, seated the bead & pumped back up. Dunno if it would be as easy with non UST tyres & different rims

Did the conversion from tubes to tubeless a couple of months ago, only had to top the air up once & the sealant is still liquid.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • weescott
    weescott Posts: 453
    Not exactly the advice you are looking for but... I converted a MK 2.4 SS to tubeless with stans. It's an extremely pourus tyre and took a few goes to get it to seal, but it worked. I decided against running it as it would leak through the tyre if hammering down rocky sections. :shock:

mk_tubeless.jpg
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    How's that even remotely relevant weescott!?

Stan's sealant for me. If you've not already bought your Ralphs then the 2011 ones have tubeless ready beads to aid inflation, although I've never had problems with the 'old' ones.
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    njee20 wrote:
    Stan's sealant for me. If you've not already bought your Ralphs then the 2011 ones have tubeless ready beads to aid inflation, although I've never had problems with the 'old' ones.

Already bought them, but thanks for the info. I'll try the Stan's sealant.
  • weescott
    weescott Posts: 453
    njee20 wrote:
    How's that even remotely relevant weescott!?

I was trying to help. :roll:

Remote as in....tubeless...and....riding conditions....and sealant used...:roll:
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    But tyres were specified and you offered a comment about an entirely different tyre? Incidentally if you stick with them they will work fine, but Contis are often porous, Supersonics are awful, Schwalbes beat them in every way!
  • I used conti's speed king supersonics for a couple of yrs, they leaked more milk than a lactating milf :shock: but credit to stans they did eventually seal them
    '..all the bad cats in the bad hats..'