BoJo to ban lorries from central london?

jonginge
jonginge Posts: 5,945
edited November 2010 in Commuting chat
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/ ... -london.do

Blimey!

How much are the fines from the EU with regard to air quality? Maybe they're beginning to bite a bit. Discuss
FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
Planet-x Scott
Rides

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,408
    If true (and not just a bit of Boris shout-first-retract-later then that would make a huge difference, to air quality, traffic flow and road safety. And good to see someone finally taking on black cabs - a few less knackered 20 year old diesels can only be a good thing. I'd have thought cabs would be ideal for conversion to hybrid or full electric.

I want it to be true, but have a nagging scepticism.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    rjsterry wrote:
    I want it to be true, but have a nagging scepticism.
    Indeed, it may turn out to be just a load of hot air...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    Perhaps they can start by getting rid of the pong from the buses. I find the Abellio fleet particularly unsporting since they have a massive exhaust right at the back rather than pointing to the side.
  • I wonder whether the types of lorry - more often than not related to the construction trade - that appear to cause/be involved in a disproportionate number of cyclist fatalities wouldn't get immediate dispensation. Businesses will still need their new offices, and and need housing for the workforce. My fear is that, from a cyclist's POV, the worst danger will remain unabated.
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    Can't see it happening. How on earth are stores/restaurants, etc. supposed to get their deliveries?

More bluster from the king of it, but total bollox if you ask me.
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    Just hark back to the 80s when Ken was in charge of the GLC - he did much the same thing then gave all the lorries who applied (at a cost no doubt) the right to drive within the zone - remember "GLC Exempt Vehicle" signs on the back of lorries?

Nice idea though it is, I can't see the out of town swap centres working either - think of the costs for ALL distributors with 40 tonners to have distribution centres on the outskirts + the additional numbers of "more ecological" vehicles needed on the congested roads to service that 40 tonnes of cargo! I would estimate as 15 for each single lorry, which take up more of a footprint (extra revenue on Congestion Charge though) plus it would be a bodge, so that diesel and petrol vehicles would be allowed, in turn producing more than a 40 tonner :roll:

Cynical? Moi?

I am a Boris fan though :)
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    ketsbaia wrote:
    Can't see it happening. How on earth are stores/restaurants, etc. supposed to get their deliveries?

I guess the idea would be to limit access to smaller delivery vehicles, which most of the time would be sufficient, and probably a benefit for narrow London streets. We've probably all passed traffic jams caused by an articulated lorry trying to reverse after getting stuck entering a corner! The point about construction vehicles is a good one and there's probably no reasonable alternative for them than to make an exception.

Mandating clean exhaust for black cabs is a fab idea - why aren't they already hybrid, given the stop/start driving patterns?

I would kind of miss the warm rush of exhaust from a bus on a cold winters day, but not getting lung cancer would be worth it ;)
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    As usual, the comments are great:

"Ban all vehicles from central London, Buses, Taxi’s, Coaches, and Lorries. We can then all fry around on little hover boards.

- PC, London, 04/11/2010 15:47"

Or bikes, PC.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Can I put in an order for a bacon and egg sarnie? Toasted? :wink:
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    Cafewanda wrote:
    Can I put in an order for a bacon and egg sarnie? Toasted? :wink:
    :D
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    jamesco wrote:
    ketsbaia wrote:

I guess the idea would be to limit access to smaller delivery vehicles, which most of the time would be sufficient, and probably a benefit for narrow London streets. We've probably all passed traffic jams caused by an articulated lorry trying to reverse after getting stuck entering a corner! The point about construction vehicles is a good one and there's probably no reasonable alternative for them than to make an exception.

Never quite understood why they allow delivery vans to be parked up during rush hour anyway e.g the vehicles often parked outside Westminster tube station around 8:30am. Takes out the left filter lane. Smashing idea.

But doesn't only shift pollution in the city centre to the areas surrounding consolidation centres, which may be near residtential areas? And it might not reduce the number of vehicles on the roads.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • This is already done at Heathrow, where you have a model for how consolidation centres can reduce both the numbers of lorries and their emissions - halving the number of vehicles I think. So it might be able to work...
  • ooermissus
    ooermissus Posts: 811
    edited November 2010
    [double post - sorry]
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    Misleading headline (on this forum and the paper) as he is talking about emissions. That doesn't mean that lorries would be banned just the grubby ones.

The moment a news outlet says "could" in the title you know it's nonsense.
  • I wonder whether the types of lorry - more often than not related to the construction trade - that appear to cause/be involved in a disproportionate number of cyclist fatalities wouldn't get immediate dispensation.

Construction can use consolidation as well. In fact there was a trial of this back in 2006. Don't know what happened to it though.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/static/corporate/ ... /3664.html
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Please god make the taxis sort their engines out.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I'd be far more keen on just banning them from certain hours and not promoting rush hour deliveries. Large vehicles are good for drafting though. :twisted: