The BBC are Revolting !!

shm_uk
shm_uk Posts: 683
edited November 2010 in Commuting chat
It can't just be me who wouldn't really be bothered if the BBC disappeared forever ?

Comments

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    shm_uk wrote:
    It can't just be me who wouldn't really be bothered if the BBC disappeared forever ?

Couldn't disagree more, BBC are still hugely respected worldwide and produce a lot of quality content. I'd happily see them ditch the Strictly's and leave the talent shows to ITV though.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    If this strike isn't about bringing back 'Tomorrow's World' I don't want know.

Programme was dope!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    dhope wrote:
    shm_uk wrote:

Couldn't disagree more, BBC are still hugely respected worldwide and produce a lot of quality content. I'd happily see them ditch the Strictly's and leave the talent shows to ITV though.

True, although Strictly probably contributes more back to the BBC than anyother title; it's the most successful TV format in the world and probably the most profitable for BBCWorldwide. Getting that cash back in keeps the licence fee down and contributes to the 'better' quality programming.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    Asprilla wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    shm_uk wrote:

True, although Strictly probably contributes more back to the BBC than anyother title; it's the most successful TV format in the world and probably the most profitable for BBCWorldwide. Getting that cash back in keeps the licence fee down and contributes to the 'better' quality programming.

Actually, that's Top Gear:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/ju ... ide-profit
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    dhope wrote:
    shm_uk wrote:

+1
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    edited November 2010
    dhope wrote:
    shm_uk wrote:

+1

but imo something needs to be done about how rabid the tv licensing agency is in conducting it's duties. they've gotten way above their station in terms of how they treat people who they think have a telly but don't.

I also think that the license fee should allow for some base level of television usage for free even if it's only access to bbc news 24, educational shows and a channel that shows repeats of shows a week after they're aired elsewhere (it could even be shared between tv companies in a tv equivalent of an aggregated rss feed with some 'showcase content' from each channel with ads to help fund it). don't get me wrong I don't think every human has a god-given right to sky movies/sports but I do feel that a tv is no longer the luxury item it once was and the way we consume information now in this day and age access to news shouldn't be subject to being able to afford a license fee.
    Hat + Beard
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    W1 wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    shm_uk wrote:

Top Gear was the biggest selling show, but that's because SCD isn't really sold overseas as a programme, instead the format of the show is licenced and becomes things like 'Dances With The Stars' in the US.

I'm guessing that only one of us is sitting in the headquarters of BBCWorldwide at this moment?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    Asprilla wrote:
    I'm guessing that only one of us is sitting in the headquarters of BBCWorldwide at this moment?

is that because everyone else is on strike? :lol:
    Hat + Beard
  • BBC rocks

Iplayer
    Merlin
    Top gear
    Spooks
    Radio 1
    Being human

No death by adverts

CBBC - deadly 60

Cbeebies

I love the BBC

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • dhope
    Oh, and the mission statement:
    "To enrich people's lives with programmes and services that inform, educate and entertain."

Says nothing about providing value for money, thank goodness.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    Asprilla wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    shm_uk wrote:

Top Gear was the biggest selling show, but that's because SCD isn't really sold overseas as a programme, instead the format of the show is licenced and becomes things like 'Dances With The Stars' in the US.

You're right, although it's rather quiet in here today.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    shm_uk wrote:

Think your in a very small minority.
  • Dudu
    Dudu Posts: 4,637
    shm_uk wrote:

Let's put it this way: When I was a teenager I lived in apartheid South Africa.

Every evening the family would gather around the radiogram (remember them?) to carefully tune in to the BBC, trying to avoid the government jamming, to find out what was really going on out there in the real world.

For that alone, the BBC is worth having.

Add to that the most balanced news coverage available in the UK (it must be - the right wing think it's left-wing, while the left wing think it's right-wing), that sets the agenda for thousands of people every morning, and we have an essential national public service.

I just wish they'd not bother chasing ratings or broadcasting reality-show cr@p. Just keep churning out good currrent affairs, drama, science and arts.
    I was genuinely at a loss this morning when I realised that "Today" wasn't on the air. It's been part of my morning routine for 20-odd years, ever since I lived in France in pre-internet days and used it to keep in touch with UK news.

The BBC is one of the few institutions I respect, due to its (mostly) unbiased news coverage *, its global service and the quality of its programming.

I'd happily pay my TV Licence just for Radio 4.
    In fact, that's pretty much what I do - the telly rarely gets turned on....

* those who complain most loudly about alleged BBC bias are mainly those whose political agenda isn't served by an independent news service
    Misguided Idealist
  • squeeler
    squeeler Posts: 144
    shm_uk wrote:

Completely disagree. The License fee must be the best £145 a year I spend.

BBC TV,Radio and website are something the nation should be proud of, from what I've seen in other countries there is no comparison!
  • shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    dhope wrote:
    shm_uk wrote:

True, it's respected (although that strikes me as being a fortunate hangover-effect from decades ago).

'Quality' is subjective. Just because people like what you produce doesn't mean it's any good.

Nothing is indispensible. If the BBC vanished we'd all just go "Ah well..." and watch something else... Brand loyalty counts for very little these days.
  • Dudu
    hatbeard wrote:
    but imo something needs to be done about how rabid the tv licensing agency is in conducting it's duties. they've gotten way above their station in terms of how they treat people who they think have a telly but don't.

Come, now, I have a friend who loves bating the TV licensing people. He's never had a TV (apart from owning a computer and a mobile phone, he lives as if it's 1956) and loves winding them up.

Seriously, compared to the rest of the pay-TV available, the BBC is bloody good value at about £12 a month (unless you're a football junkie).
  • Normally I wake up to the Today programme on R4, took ages to realise that the Ian Hislop Documentary on Lord Kitchener wasn't just a very long piece, but was in fact a full programme (and a very interesting one) - made an interesting change.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    shm_uk wrote:

Presumably you've never been victim to US or Canadian television. Makes what we get on Freeview seem great........ (eg a whole channel dedicated to weather forecasting that still actually fails to give you much idea of what the weather is going to be......)
    Faster than a tent.......
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,408
    shm_uk wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    shm_uk wrote:

True, it's respected (although that strikes me as being a fortunate hangover-effect from decades ago).

'Quality' is subjective. Just because people like what you produce doesn't mean it's any good.

Nothing is indispensible. If the BBC vanished we'd all just go "Ah well..." and watch something else... Brand loyalty counts for very little these days.

Nope, I'd probably stop watching TV altogether. There really is almost nothing that I want to watch on any of the ITV channels, bar the cycling. C4 has maybe a handful of programmes worth watching - their news is probably the least dumbed-down (and appeals to my innate leftiness), + a few of their cultural/current affairs programmes are quite good, but they are blighted by BB, Hollyoaks and a lot of other rubbish. 5 has a few decent imports and I've yet to see anything worth bothering with on the other free-to-air channels that wasn't on the BBC first.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • dhope
    shm_uk wrote:
    Certainly in part from past glories, but don't let that blind you to the fact it's still better than other broadcasters.
    shm_uk wrote:
    Certainly doesn't, the Sun is a popular paper and X factor is a popular show. Fox is hugely popular with half of the US.
    +1 for the Beeb again.
    shm_uk wrote:
    Not sure there, I only watch BBC and some of C4.

I do think BBC gets trounced by a few US pay channels for some of the dramas. The Wire, Mad Men, West Wing, Sopranos etc, but then they get involved on dramas like Rome and can produce with the best of them. If Channel 5 had tried to do Rome they'd have ended up with Spartacus which is certainly entertaining but also complete tripe.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Dudu
    BBC rocks

Iplayer
    Merlin
    Top gear
    Spooks
    Radio 1
    Being human

No death by adverts

CBBC - deadly 60

Cbeebies

I love the BBC

Or:

Mad Men
    Today (and about 60% of the rest of Radio 4)
    No adverts
    Jim Al-Khalili
    dhope wrote:
    Oh, and the mission statement:
    "To enrich people's lives with programmes and services that inform, educate and entertain."

Says nothing about providing value for money, thank goodness.

+1
    I was genuinely at a loss this morning when I realised that "Today" wasn't on the air. It's been part of my morning routine for 20-odd years, ever since I lived in France in pre-internet days and used it to keep in touch with UK news.

The BBC is one of the few institutions I respect, due to its (mostly) unbiased news coverage *, its global service and the quality of its programming.

I'd happily pay my TV Licence just for Radio 4.
    In fact, that's pretty much what I do - the telly rarely gets turned on....

* those who complain most loudly about alleged BBC bias are mainly those whose political agenda isn't served by an independent news service

+1

He'd be lost without Chuggington and In The Night Garden...
  • Dudu
    squeeler wrote:
    shm_uk wrote:

Completely disagree. The License fee must be the best £145 a year I spend.

BBC TV,Radio and website are something the nation should be proud of, from what I've seen in other countries there is no comparison!

Oh yes. I've just been on hols stuck with French, Spanish and Italian TV. The Beeb's coverage today is still better than any of theirs, even with a strike on.
  • You aren't the only one, but hopefully you're in a vanishingly small minority. I think the BBC is the nutz, and that the godawful standard of commercial telly would be still worse if the Beeb were not there making it look shabby.
    MiniLogo-1.jpg
    http://www.velochocolate.co.uk Special Treats for Lifestyle Cyclists

From FCN from 8 (road bike, beard, bag, work clothes) to 15 (on my Brompton)
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    squeeler wrote:

The only near-equivalent I've found was NPR in (shock!) the USA - publicly-funded, independent, intelligent radio programming. Reminds me of something closer to home...
    Misguided Idealist
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    The R4 move to rerun old Winston Churchill documentary this morning caused panic. I assumed that I'd woken up really late and that my phone had somehow got the time wrong. All was well once I'd legged it into the front room to check the wall clock.

Makes me realise how much I miss the Today programme.

On the subject of the BBC I veer slightly against them for various biases they do have and for the above inflation rises on the licence and crazy salaries to people like the HR director who could easily be replaced. Plus I was hounded by the licencing people when I didn't have a TV.

However that being said they do some excellant stuff and were Sky to run amok then we would all be worse off (and they cost far more). The BBC just needs to be aware that they were starting to abuse that good will a little.

Now that the BBC is being forced to reign things in and with today's R4 scare then I shall pay the next licence bill with less internal begrudging.
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    I hardly watch anything on the BBC apart from the odd bit of sport that they show. The BBC website used to be one of my first ports-of-call, but in the last year or two it has dramatically declined. I understand that spending on the website was spiralling upwards though, so I can understand them limiting it.