OT: Some London advice

Satu
Satu Posts: 51
edited November 2010 in Commuting chat
Hello Londoners!

I will be invading your city tomorrow to get my passport renewed, and I wonder if anyone could give me some travel advice.

My train is going to Euston. I need to get to Belgrave Square. Now, originally I was planning to take the tube to Victoria and walk from there, but I've just looked on Google and it's only three miles, so I'm thinking I might just walk the whole way because I'm not very fond of the tube. (Had this occured to me earlier, I could perhaps have signed up for the Boris Bike scheme, but I guess it's too late now!)

Is this a silly plan? Has anyone got suggestions for a route? I really don't know London at all well, but if I buy an A-Z at Euston I'm sure I could find my way.

Any help would be gratefully received!

Cheers,
Satu

Comments

• Google Maps is your friend. 2.9 miles. 58 minutes. Possible routes on links below. Drizzle forecast for tomorrow though.

http://bit.ly/bDyNG7

Alternatively, if you want to stay above ground but not get wet, take bus number 73 from Euston and get off at Hyde Park Corner - Belgrave Square is v close.
  • ooermissus wrote:
    Google Maps is your friend. 2.9 miles. 58 minutes. Possible routes on links below. Drizzle forecast for tomorrow though.

http://bit.ly/bDyNG7

Alternatively, if you want to stay above ground but not get wet, take bus number 73 from Euston and get off at Hyde Park Corner - Belgrave Square is v close.

A possible variant on the first of ooermissus' route would be to not turn right into Shaftesbury Avenue but continue downhill to Trafalgar Square and then follow the Mall up to Buckingham Palace. It will be a little bit further but it should be more scenic, plus you'll get a good walk in St James' Park.
  • ...continue downhill to Trafalgar Square and then follow the Mall up to Buckingham Palace. It will be a little bit further but it should be more scenic, plus you'll get a good walk in St James' Park.

+1
  • Satu
    Thank you both -- that looks like it might be a nice walk.

The bus tip is a good one as well, if the weather is too vile -- but I've been commuting long enough to be fairly waterproof. ;)

Thanks again!

S.
  • Nothing more to add other than to say it's definitely the better idea to walk. When people get the tube everywhere they don't connect up all the dots, and it really doesn't take that long to walk most places, especially in zone 1.
    FCN - 10
    Cannondale Bad Boy Solo with baggies.
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Yup, good old shanks pony
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Another vote for walking and the route above.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Or you could take a detour by carrying on down Whitehall past Millbank and onto the famous Death Star Canyon and witness for yourself the carnage that makes up the SCR thread!
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Since you want to ride but can''t get a BB, why not just hang around at a set of traffic lights. Wait until it turns red and someone on a bike you like stops and then punch them in the chops and ride off on their bike.

When in Rome and all that.

In all seriousness, people who use the tube all the time have no idea of the geography of the city. Stay above ground, use an A to Z and you'll see how close everywhere is zone 1 is.

I remember hearing that when the Underground network was being planned the idea was that when are in Cental London you should never be more than 400 yards from a station. That should tell you how close everywhere is.
    When you get out into the sticks the stations are much further apart and the original designers were very sensible to mainly avoid the cesspit that is South London (look at a Tube map and note how few stations are south of the river).
    As a North Londoner, I suggest you follow their example.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Satu
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Since you want to ride but can''t get a BB, why not just hang around at a set of traffic lights. Wait until it turns red and someone on a bike you like stops and then punch them in the chops and ride off on their bike.

What a wonderful idea -- I hadn't thought of that! I'll bring a d-lock. (Oh, but wait -- cyclists don't stop at red lights!)

Thanks for the advice everyone -- have copied down directions and am about to head off to the station. The weather forecast now looks worse than yesterday, but there we go!

Cheers,
    S.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    When you get out into the sticks the stations are much further apart and the original designers were very sensible to mainly avoid the cesspit that is South London (look at a Tube map and note how few stations are south of the river).

t wat
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    MatHammond wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

t wat

+1
  • Sewinman wrote:
    MatHammond wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

t wat

+1

As someone who has been stopped by the police at the Isle of Dogs end of the Greenwich Foot Tunnel and been asked whether I was taking anything through to the other side, and then being dishonestly told by them that the tunnel was shut, I've concluded that a) you can never believe what North Londoners say and b) they have severe transpontine phobias that deserve our most compassionate understanding.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    MatHammond wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

t wat

I'd agree with you but he's way taller than me :lol:

Bloody North Londoners :roll:
  • Alphabet
    Alphabet Posts: 436
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

as someone who has lived for a long time on either side of the river, the south is much better than the north. so there.

and we have the herne hill velodrome.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,408
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    (look at a Tube map and note how few stations are south of the river).

That's because we prefer our public transport above ground - we have plenty more rail stations than North London, so don't need the tube.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • lardboy
    lardboy Posts: 343
    transpontine

*applauds*
    Bike/Train commuter: Brompton S2L - "Machete"
    12mile each way commuter: '11 Boardman CX with guards and rack
    For fun: '11 Wilier La Triestina
    SS: '07 Kona Smoke with yellow bits
  • and we have the herne hill velodrome

Well for the time being... :roll: What will happen when the Velodrome in the OP opens to the public? Would North of the river win hands down?

I'm from much further south so can't really comment on the North/South thing other than how the Southerners tend to beat Northers into submission on the rubgy field. But that's not for here. :wink:
    Beep Beep Richie.

FCN +7 (Hanzo Fixed. Simple - for the commute)
    FCN +10 (Loud and proud PA)
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,408
    lardboy wrote:
    transpontine

*applauds*

+1
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Sewinman wrote:
    MatHammond wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

t wat

+1

As someone who has been stopped by the police at the Isle of Dogs end of the Greenwich Foot Tunnel and been asked whether I was taking anything through to the other side, and then being dishonestly told by them that the tunnel was shut, I've concluded that a) you can never believe what North Londoners say and b) they have severe transpontine phobias that deserve our most compassionate understanding.

Pity me - I am just about to move north of the river for the first time since I was 1. Ugh.
  • gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    Walk? haha just take the tube. saves about 40mins!
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Now that I have a bullet proof vest and all of the necessary jabs, I feel a little bit safer in SLondon.

Still think there should be some sort of check point manned my armed police on the bridges though. Stop too many of the riff-raff coming north of the river!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Now that I have a bullet proof vest and all of the necessary jabs, I feel a little bit safer in SLondon.

Still think there should be some sort of check point manned my armed police on the bridges though. Stop too many of the riff-raff coming north of the river!

not that I agree with what you're saying but there's a funny scene in 28 weeks later where the main group of people escape the firebombing of canary wharf by running under the foot tunnel to greenwich whilst all the zombies escape off into central london to do some shopping or something.

the next shot of the family after they arrive in greenwich is when they go running back across the millenium bridge into zombie infested central london as if it were the lesser of two evils compared to being in south london. :lol:
    Hat + Beard
  • EKE_38BPM wrote:

When in Rome and all that.

In all seriousness, people who use the tube all the time have no idea of the geography of the city. Stay above ground, use an A to Z and you'll see how close everywhere is zone 1 is.

I remember hearing that when the Underground network was being planned the idea was that when are in Cental London you should never be more than 400 yards from a station. That should tell you how close everywhere is.

There's a North London? Wow!! :shock:
    Hello! I've been here over a month now.