Fixed/single speed - What's the best way to make sure my cha

World\'s Dump
World\'s Dump Posts: 107
edited November 2010 in Road general
Hi Guys

Considering buying flip flop rear wheels for my single speed. I'm slightly concerned about getting to grips with riding a fixed gear but also concerned about my chain slipping. I've heard this can have disastrous consequences especially mid sprint.

Is there a fool proof way of ensuring that my chain will not slip off and if so how do I do this?

Many thanks

Nick :o

Comments

• You could try using chaintugs if you are worried about a back wheel moving forward. Charlie the Bikemonger has them about half way down this page http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/use ... ocart2.htm
    or Velosolo http://www.velosolo.co.uk/shopmisc.html, similarly near the bottom of the page.
  • pompy
    pompy Posts: 127
    Agree, chaintugs are great, I got mine from On One. Failing that, make sure your chainline is nice and straight, rear axle nuts are nipped up tight and all the drivetrain is is good condition. I started fixed but have recently gone singlespeed so I can speed downhill again! Found it quite hard trying to control the spin of the cranks when fixed. Personal choice though. Enjoy! :)
  • thanks for your help!

Am I right in assuming that fixed isn't a good idea downhill? It's not exactly urban where I live (Dorset) quite suburban to be honest verging on rural!

I'm still debating whether to get flip flop wheels because I'm really quite nervous about falling off. Are there any benefits of having fixed as opposed to single? To be honest I could gladly stick to single speed but another query had was whether to change my chunkier 27 x 1 1/4 wheels for 700c's Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks
  • I looked at the chain tugs and I've got vertical drop outs from my old racer. Are there any equivalents for vertical drop outs?

Cheers!
  • various options - from the cheap and ugly chain tensioner/old rear mech side to the more gorgeous but pricey eccentric hub etc.
  • for nutted wheels???
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Chaintugs only generally work with track-ends, not road-ends.

Getting the axle nuts tight is key. Having no chain slack, keeping the chainline straight is key to the chain staying put.

Riding fixed downhill is about technique and relaxing - it takes a bit of practise and for beginners it's worth having both front and rear brakes - feather the brakes to start and progressively learn to let go! How fast you go depends on your bottle!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • in my haste to buy a flip flop rear wheel, it looks like I may end up winning on ebay, a used flip flop rear sprint wheel. Can anybody tell me anything about these and will they be a suitable option?

Many thanks
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    Some confusions here? Vertical drop outs and fixed? No.

Sprint wheels? Usually means tubs (glue-on tyres, not separate tyres/tubes). Nice things but some disadvantages!

With a straight chainline and no slack points in the chain tension then with either horizontal or rear facing (track ends) drop outs, shouldn't really need chain tugs (even with Q/R if good ol' fashioned stel versions).
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."