Are my wheels worn out and what upgrade?

BigLee1
BigLee1 Posts: 449
edited November 2010 in Commuting general
Hi folks,

The wheels on my `06 Trek Pilot 1.2 have done about 3k miles and have worn about 1 set of pads. The rear wheel has just and so lost the groove in the centre of the rim, it`s also popped a couple of spokes over the last year.

So what I`d like to know is, do I replace my wheels and if so what`s the recommendations in the < £200 price bracket per pair?

Thanks folks :D

Lee

Comments

• BigLee1 wrote:
    Hi folks,

The wheels on my `06 Trek Pilot 1.2 have done about 3k miles and have worn about 1 set of pads. The rear wheel has just and so lost the groove in the centre of the rim, it`s also popped a couple of spokes over the last year.

So what I`d like to know is, do I replace my wheels and if so what`s the recommendations in the < £200 price bracket per pair?

Thanks folks :D

Lee

If the groove in the middle of the rim is what I thinkit is - a wear indicator - then, yes, it's time to start thinking about a new rim, a rebuild, and possibly new wheels. Are your hubs any good? If so, then getting someone to rebuild a wheel around them might be cheaper than new wheels - if less straightforward.

As for recommendations, I'm not a wheel expert, but I do know that it will depend on what your priorities are - weight, durability, looks - and what you use the bike for. There are so many variables - spoke numbers, thickness, butting; rim width, weight/strength. Then there things like whether you like straight pull spokes, bladed spokes, etc.

In general I'd say, phone a good bike shop/wheelbuilder and talk through your requirements - then get them to build a wheelset. Or plump for some general purpose road bike wheels from Planet X (people seem to like these) or similar.
  • BigLee1
    BigLee1 Posts: 449
    Thanks for the reply lb :D
    Some more info that might be useful is that I`m 15 stones and use the bike for commuting and have 28mm tyres :D

I spotted these and thought they looked good http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=25888
  • markp2
    markp2 Posts: 162
    I found cheap 700c wheels off ebay for about £60 a pair worked well and lasted for 2-3000 miles. Cheaper than the labour needed to rebuild your own with new rims. I am 14.5 stone and sometimes carried another 20kg in the panniers/rack and they were fine.
    For commuting on the salty roads over winter, I wouldn't wnat expensive wheels.
    Genesis Croix de Fer - my new commuting mount
    Saracen Hytrail - the workhorse - now pensioned off
    Kinetic-One FK1 roadie - the fast one - hairy legs though!
    Cannondale Jekyll Lefty MTB - the muddy one which keeps tipping me into gorse bushes!
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    markp2 wrote:
    I found cheap 700c wheels off ebay for about £60 a pair worked well and lasted for 2-3000 miles.

crikey is that all? Did the rims wear out? I'd be considering disks if it saved me two wheelsets a year.
  • BigLee1 wrote:
    Thanks for the reply lb :D
    Some more info that might be useful is that I`m 15 stones and use the bike for commuting and have 28mm tyres :D

I spotted these and thought they looked good http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=25888

Yeah, they look good; whether they are suitable is another matter.
    Now, this is all personal opinion, so feel free to disagree. For your needs (commuting), I'd go for something with more emphasis on durability. RS10s are built to be light - they look like racing wheels, and they have straight pull, bladed spokes.

This is my take on the problems with that approach:

The fewer spokes you have, all other things being equal, the weaker the wheel. If a single spoke breaks, it can buckle the rim beyond rideability. Which could leave you stranded, miles from home. Whereas, if a spoke breaks on a 32/36 spoke rim, the chances are that it will still get you home. And if you carry stuff on your commute, then your weight is only the beginning. You need a strong wheel, especially at the rear, where the dishing necessary to fit the cassette weakens the whole assembly.

But this is mere prejudice, right? I am not so sure - the reader reviews on your link vary between very happy, and positively scary.

On the plus side, those wheels have good hubs (shimano hubs are superb, and the higher grade hubs have labyrinth and contact seals will keep the grit, gravel and grime out of the bearings). But, remember, you can't add spokes at a later date to make a wheel stronger. So, it's a toss up. Ask yourself what your needs are (try to ignore your wants). Or ask yourself, do you feel lucky?

I'd be looking at something like these Mavic Open Pro rims on Shimano 105 hubs, (for £165 including postage) or other similar builds on this site (Germans seem to offer good value wheels).

EDIT: check whether your rear dropouts take a 130mm (road) or 135mm (MTB) hub before you go any further.