Gorrick - Crowthorne Wood 14th November

Chris-H
Chris-H Posts: 27
edited November 2010 in XC and Enduro
Hi All,

I'm thinking of entereing the Autumn Classic at Crowthorne in a couple of weeks time... I've never entered a race before so I was looking for any words of wisdom from the Gorrick regulars!

I'm thinking the 'Fun' category looks like a good place to start, judging by the consistency of past event lap times I guess the 'Open' is actually pretty well contested all the way through the field...

Only questions I really have at the moment are:

Practice - on the day can you ride practice laps at any time or do you need to get them in first thing before the races start? Don't want to get there at 8am if I dont need to!
Tyres - have a set of Racing Ralphs on the bike at the moment, these held out OK on a Swinley outing last weekend but would it be worth splashing out on some Nobbly Nics or similar given there's a couple more weeks of weather and no doubt rain yet?
Hydration Pack vs. Bottle Cage - not got a cage at the moment but from watching some vids no one seems to use packs when racing, any reason for this?

Any other tips would be great - who else is going?

Cheers,

Chris

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    1. You can practice whenever you want, just stay out the way of people racing

2. Ralphs will be alright, if a bit slidey around Crowthorne in the wet. It'll depend a lot on the weather for the next 2 weeks and whether they use the really boggy bit of the course, you want to hope not!

3. You're coming back to the same point every 25 minutes or so, so why carry 3l of water, you can just take on a fresh bottle every lap if you want. To be honest, one bottle will likely last 2 laps, unless you're some sort of fish.

Fun is a good place to start, Open can have some ringers at the front going pretty quickly, but then so can Fun, although less so these days. Just go along and enjoy yourself.
  • Cj83
    Cj83 Posts: 58
    if you can't be bothered to buy a cage/bottles loads of people in fun and open will use hydration packs (and be wearing baggies). you don't often see it in the vids because videos are understandably often of lycra clad elite riders. check out joolze dymond's site if you wanna see people racing from the other catorgories. i would be doing this race myself but went for the enduro on the 28th instead. good luck!
  • Chris-H wrote:
    Any other tips would be great - who else is going?

I'm looking forward to giving it a crack..my first 'race' experience too..

Is it just me, or are the various categories a tad confusing? Have I got it right that you choose to race in either an age-related category, or an ability-related one?

If so, the Open Male ability category sounds good to me too.. although the Master Male age category is run earlier and so the course should be less churned up if it's wet.. Or are the age categories aimed at the more serious rider?
  • njee20
    Well if you're 18-30 there isn't an age category, so that's why there are ability cats. Masters had some very fast riders in, and was 4 laps, so they introduced Super Master, although now a number of the top Super Masters race Elite.

So yes, it's confusing! Generally Masters is slightly quicker than Open, but you'll probably be fine in either, although the speed tails off a bit quicker in Open.

Just enjoy yourself! If you don't use bottles normally then I wouldn't start in a race, you'll probably not drink anything!
  • Looking forward to it at the moment, just hope the weather is decent - I might have a sudden change of heart if it chucks it down all weekend :lol:

Was getting my tyres mixed up earlier, actually on Rocket Rons so a bit more grip than Ralphs anyway... still tempted to find something a bit gripier to inspire confidence though, we'll see.

Any tips on pacing yourself well? Though I guess the answer to that is ultimatly experience...
  • If it does rain at the goricks you will only need a ron still, never gets to muddy!
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Well, you say that but I rode Swinley last week and it was a mud bath...Thats the problem with Swinley, its either dry or totally swamp. Nothing really in the middle. Of course, this weekend's race is in the Crowthorne side which tends to drain a little better.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • njee20
    Rons will be fine, I used them at the Gorrick Enduro in May, and that was about as wet as Swinley gets!
  • wobbem
    wobbem Posts: 283
    Yep, I'll be there, do all lthe Gorricks, always good circuits. Super vet cat, at the back of, sigh. :D
    If your new sit nearer the back, then passing anyone is a buzz and you won't disturb the hardcore. Its a great way to get better at mtb and... lose some ego.
    Don't think, BE:
  • as others have mentioned fun and open are a good place to start. Open does tend to have 10 or 15 glory hunters at the front who should be racing in a more competitive class. It doesn't matter if you've got baggy shorts and a Camelbak, there will be plenty of people using them. Get out there and have fun, once you find your pace you're bound to end up battling with people at a similar level. I started a couple of years ago for fun and haven't looked back.

On the conditions front I was at the Gorrick Enduro in May and it was a mudbath, given how wet it's been of late conditions could be pretty similar

as a tip i'd suggest checking where the first singletrack section is on the practice, as this will be a major bottleneck on the first lap. If possible look for a (legal) alternative route. This will save you a lot of time as those with a good sprint and no singletrack skills flounder about on the first technical section :)

I may see you there
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    I'm not sure about pacing yourself from the start this weekend. Given the rain passing will be difficult on the course, so position will play more of a part I think. The crowthorne Gorrick has a long firetrail start which goes up and down a small rise, before a 90 deg left, climbing a while longer until hitting a tight singletrack at the bench with the pack still quite grouped. That single track is very treacherous when muddy, and even worse in a race, so I think it will cause a lot of bunching up. People coming off / losing traction will be a big issue I think. I'd advise a quick start for position, then a moderate pace throughout. People at the back will struggle to move up the ranks (IMHO).
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • njee20
    They don't always go into the singletrack at the bench, they have carried on down the fireroad and either turned back left into the singeltrack or dog legged right through the fence. Either way it's a reasonable start to spread people out, the climb after the 90 degree left needs a bit of grunt.
  • Thinking I might bottle it this time round... Weather forecast is bad and with this weeks rain, particularly yesterday, surely it will be an absolute mud bath!

Thoughts? Are you still going?!?
  • Well I went for it, spurred on by a moment of optimism in the BBC's weather forecast (note never trust sudden changes in the BBC weather forecast), but alas it wasn't too wet. The course was good, soggy in places with a few really soft bits which put on the anchors as soon as you hit them...

I arrived with the attitude of a true sportsman... I turned up with minutes to spare, glanced at the finishing section, glanced at the starting section, and was ready to go. Practice lap, hmmmm.....

I hung back a bit at the start to let the field spread out, I was taking it in the spirit of Fun, albeit at a pace. Started to pick a few people off on the climbs, though my lungs this evening tell me I shouldn't have. Finished a modest 40 something... not bad for a first time out with no prep out of 77. Happy with that.

Finish by saying the organisation and track layout were great - Gorrick get a lot of praise for this and I'd say rightly so. I'm sure one day I will return!
  • SiLanc
    SiLanc Posts: 180
    Well done on your first race, most importantly it sounds like you enjoyed it and will be back.

You can check out your performance on my website where I've done the lap by lap analysis:

http://xcenduro.co.uk/racing/lapbylap/G ... d22010.asp

There are also some racing tips on there but I've no doubt you've learned a lot from today.

http://xcenduro.co.uk/racing/racingFAQ.asp

If you or anyone else would like to write up your race for others to read then let me know, I'm always looking for riders who want to share their racing experiences.

Cheers

Si
    Lap by lap analysis, videos, photos, race reports and a map of race locations www.xcenduro.co.uk
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    As requested, here's a bit of my experience from yesterday

Untitled by weeksy59 at Garmin Connect - Details

http://joolzedymond.com/photocart/index ... 1682&q=606

I always seem to look in pain on these events !!!! I guess that tells the story in itself.

Todays was an epic battle of wills in Crowthorne woods, to be honest i wanted to throw my hand in after end of lap 1, but managed to make it to the end of 3rd lap and completed the course. Been down with some flu and coughing so not trained for nearly a fortnight, but thought i'd give it a whirl.
    Some of the old favourite sections like the corkscrew were in use and the trail and terrain was close to the same as myself, Crust and Mark J did earlier in the year with some minor variations.
    Muddy, wet, deep, soft,sandy.... it was hell out there.
    Managed a couple of things i've not done before, like the entrance into the corkscrew, there's 1 biggy and a smaller one 20m to the right, we always take the smaller one, but race route was the biggy, so i dropped in. I'd guess it's 7' pretty much vertical drop which for me is a bit on the wrong fucking side of LARGE... but managed it on all 3 laps without too many issues or worries.

The course was the best i've ridden with Gorrick, was pretty impressed. Apart from a couple of minor boggy bits and 2 stupid little hills with tree stumps at the top i couldn't get up without walking it was a very flowing nice route.

As usual, my finishing position was indeed close to the back of the field... but i gave all i had and as you can see from heart rate, i tried hard. Lap 3 was a killer and i was finished... but plodded on best i could and got round. It always astounds me how people can actually go so much quicker than i can. Hell, if you look at the times, i was even beaten by 3 x 12 year old girls !!!!! HAhahahahahahaaa

As usual.... a top day :)

Beer and curry time. :)
  • Sounds like the Gorrick races could be something to aim for next year :)

Weeksy, what Ggarmin are you using? I used to use a Forerunner 110th when I was running but don't know if it'd be any good for cycling?
  • wobbem
    wobbem Posts: 283
    Ha, Told ya, started at the back and finished there (out of the fully completed) Number 20.
    Just over my first full year of racing, slowly getting more consistant with times, I'm fine on the single track but don't have the power on the long climbs and get passed always here.
    How do you get faster when climbing?
    Stlil had a blast, and the track wasn't half as bad as I was expecting.

http://joolzedymond.com/photocart/index.php?do=photocart&viewImage=121569&q=20&ingals=1
    Don't think, BE:
  • weeksy59
    Sounds like the Gorrick races could be something to aim for next year :)

Weeksy, what Ggarmin are you using? I used to use a Forerunner 110th when I was running but don't know if it'd be any good for cycling?

Foerunner 110 mate :)
  • weeksy59 wrote:

Do you have any problems with the signal when you're in the forest?
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 wrote:

Do you have any problems with the signal when you're in the forest?

Only once in the times i've used it, it showed my max speed at 72mph lol. but only for a second or so.

In general it's been exceptional.
  • weeksy59 wrote:
    Managed a couple of things i've not done before, like the entrance into the corkscrew, there's 1 biggy and a smaller one 20m to the right, we always take the smaller one, but race route was the biggy, so i dropped in. I'd guess it's 7' pretty much vertical drop which for me is a bit on the wrong ******* side of LARGE... but managed it on all 3 laps without too many issues or worries.

I'm glad someone else has said that was pretty steep! Amazing how quickly you'll throw yourself down something when you're following someone hey!

It wasn't the steepness which had me too concerned though, but one of the drops had a nasty tree stump root right in the middle of the track at the bottom - if you hit that you'd be (&^*%*&(%^*(&&*)(&(*^%&*%$*^&!

Good fun though.

@SI - might try to do an extended write up later. Certainly enjoyed it and would recommend to anyone keen to get into biking a bit more and as a way to develop fitness!
  • This was my first proper race too !! I entered the 1st autumn classic but had to pull out after lap 1 with a pulled muscle on my back which I somehow jarred on my warm up lap, doh !! It was muddy as hell and I kind of regretted changing to slightly less knobbly continental race king tyres but I really enjoyed it and can't wait for my next race, whenever that'll be. I entered the open category and started from the back as my warm up lap finished about 30 sec before the race start and was genuinly chuffed to have overtaken people. According to silanc's posting above, i overtook 13 people in total and came in 30th !! Mega chuffed at that. I was really taken aback about just how fast some people's laps were and equally surprised at how slow some people were on the flat singletrack stuff. Definately saving up for a nice light hardtail mtn bike now for next season.....
    FCN 5 - Fuji Roubaix 2
    FCN 11 - Giant Trance X3
  • SiLanc
    Hi Fresh, I've just sent you a personal message.
    Lap by lap analysis, videos, photos, race reports and a map of race locations www.xcenduro.co.uk
  • SiLanc
    @SI - might try to do an extended write up later. Certainly enjoyed it and would recommend to anyone keen to get into biking a bit more and as a way to develop fitness!

Hi Chris, did you get your write up done?