Double sided pedals?

Finlab6
Finlab6 Posts: 127
edited November 2010 in Commuting general
Getting a pair of SPD shoes soon. Will be able to use them on my commute but there will be times I just want to wear normal shoes. Anybody use the pedals that are flat on 1 side SPD on the other?
MTB GT Avalanche 1.0
Road - Specialized Allez Sport

exercise.png

Comments

• hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    I have been thinking about about buying the shimano 324's based on this discussion... http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... less+flats
    Hat + Beard
  • Finlab6
    thanks
    MTB GT Avalanche 1.0

exercise.png
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    I've commuted on these for years and really like the flexibility. Mine tend to hang SPD side up so you need to flip it for the flat but it's no problem really. Recommended.
  • I've got some on my hybrid. Clip in when riding in anger, flat side when popping to the shops. Ideal.
  • Finlab6
    ok, these look like the ones for me then
    MTB GT Avalanche 1.0

exercise.png
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    I use the Shimano A530 pedals on my commuter (which is also the weekend pootle bike with the missus). Great pedals for exactly this. I use the M520s on my other bike and they're also great - same cleat means I don't have to change my shoes.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • Yup - got them on my Tricross. I consider them the perfect commuting pedal: flexible dependent on the circumstances
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    I don't like double sided pedals from my [admittedly brief] experience I always had to fiddle to find the right side as they don't always stay how you leave them and that can cause a lot of PIA at the lights I presume.
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    I went from using double sided M520 pedals on my commuter to the single sided A530 pedals and it's been no more of a PITA clipping in and out at lights or in traffic - with either pedal you have to make sure that it's pretty flat to allow you to clip in quickly and not fumble about. The A530s actually fall naturally with the flat metal pedal side down leaving the SPD side exposed on the top for you to clip straight in to. I'd say the single sided A530s are actually easier to use in the city because they always fall with the SPD side up and flat, but this is after a month or so of using them so they've loosened up a bit. Just my experience.
    FCN 2 to 8