Surprisingly on topic....

gtvlusso
gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
edited November 2010 in Commuting chat
Converting an old band on friction shift frame to STI levers.....

F*cking hell - what a hullaballoo.....

Tried fitting cable stops to the band with the friction shifter removed - did not work, could not get the cable stops tight enough on the band.

Managed to source a double cable stop band on from an old bike.

Now have to add sti adjusters into the mix....we now have madcap cable cutting and some clear areas where cables will fail.....

Now trying ritchey "plug in" adjusters and direct cabling to the mechs.....in-line adjusters were useless.

Using full ultegra on the old frame.

Comments

• Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    take it to the workshop
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Clever Pun wrote:
    take it to the workshop

My preference is to problem solve and self build, whilst swearing - then complain about it afterwards to you lot.....

Workshops - after some of the shoddy work I have seen coming out of some stores (particularly the big stores).....doubt that they would be able to problem solve it as it is not in the manual.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    take it to the workshop

My preference is to problem solve and self build, whilst swearing - then complain about it afterwards to you lot.....

Workshops - after some of the shoddy work I have seen coming out of some stores (particularly the big stores).....doubt that they would be able to problem solve it as it is not in the manual.

I meant the forum :lol:

with the being on topic and all
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,410
    Oooh, do let me know how you get on as this is an option I am considering for the Mercian. I can get Mercian to braze on some bosses when they do the respray/decals/general sorting out, but that lot is already fairly pricey, and band on would be more 'authentic'.

BTW, the STIs on my Giant only have adjustment at the down tube cable stops, and at the rear derraileur, where the short length of cable outer is seated, and this seems to do me fine. Do you need another adjuster as well?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    I wanted to do the same on my old commuter

...ended up buying a new bike instead!
  • Very few workshops are prepared to be helpful when you want to do something out of the ordinary. They'll often just tell you you need a new one. I recommend the Classic and Vintage forum on www.bikeforums.net; there's a lot of guys there who have done what you're doing and ironed out the bugs. Really nice crowd, too.
    MiniLogo-1.jpg
    http://www.velochocolate.co.uk Special Treats for Lifestyle Cyclists

From FCN from 8 (road bike, beard, bag, work clothes) to 15 (on my Brompton)